Kraken defense vs Leaf defense which is better?

Stinger8

Feb 16, 2021
Right now the Kraken defense looks like this (it may get better??)

Giordano Oleksiak

Dunn Larson

Soucy Fleury

If they can improve upon the 3rd pairing I am not sure which is better. What say you

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Leafs defense is better

Rielly > Giordano
Brodie > Oleksiak
Muzzin > Dunn
Holl <= Larsson
Soucy = Dermott
Fleury (Cale) = Lilijgren
Fleury Hayden = Sandin

We are cleary better at the top end, and Lilijgren and Sandin have a clear higher ceiling than both Fleury brothers.

Only holl is worse than Larsson and Soucy is about equal with dermott when he gets 16ish minutes a night

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Our Top 4 is pretty good its our bottom pairing guys as of right now that might cause problems. They are very young, inexperienced and well, soft. Brodie was a huge addition to fill out the top 4, I thought he was great.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Seattle's defense depth is enviable but no one on that defense is a stud any longer. Probably still better than half of the league. I've got no serious issue with the make up of the Leafs' defense. I think they're a perfectly competent NHL defense and aren't the problem with the team's playoff egg laying other than Muzzin may not be durable enough any longer.

Reactions: Prominence

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Leafs should have made a move for Dunn.
Kraken are in the other conference so not too worried how the Leafs stack up against them.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Leafs should have made a move for Dunn.
Kraken are in the other conference so not too worried how the Leafs stack up against them.

Dunn has been bad for a couple years now. Essentially another Dermott.

If anything Lauzon or Soucy would be good targets

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
Well if we didn't protect Holl our D would be closer to theirs. But we are among the top 5 blue lines in the league.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Right now the Kraken defense looks like this (it may get better??)

Giordano Oleksiak

Dunn Larson

Soucy Fleury

If they can improve upon the 3rd pairing I am not sure which is better. What say you

Not sure how much Gio has left in the tank. If the forwards play a conservative style and the D don't have to babysit them he could be okay, and maybe even solid. Oleksiak had not played more than 16:13 a night in Dallas until last season so he is a bit of a question mark and should not be top pairing. Of that group of 6 only Larsson is a right shot so somebody is moving to their off side. Larsson was pretty good last season but not good the 2 years before. If he gets banged up at all he isn't effective because that is a big part of his game.

The Leafs D seems quite a bit better but the Kraken group might be playoff capable if things go right. Their avoidance of Domi and Tarasenko in the X draft means the forwards are not so impressive unless they can coax in a couple of high profile UFAs but who knows?

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
Rielly > Giordano
Brodie > Oleksiak
Muzzin > Larsson

The rest are probably a wash but Sandin and Dermott are younger and likely have more potential.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Kraken defense isn’t better but it’s a great store of trade deadline value since it’s basically a one stop shop for players you’d see on the Lightning, Canadiens and Stars runs to the finals the past 2 years.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
On paper, the leafs.

In the Playoffs, the Krakens. They built it for it more

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Leafs defense is better

Rielly > Giordano
Brodie > Oleksiak
Muzzin > Dunn
Holl <= Larsson
Soucy = Dermott
Fleury Hayden = Sandin

We are cleary better at the top end, and Lilijgren and Sandin have a clear higher ceiling than both Fleury brothers.

Only holl is worse than Larsson and Soucy is about equal with dermott when he gets 16ish minutes a night
Haydn Fluery is better than Sandin and Cale Fluery is way better than Liljegren

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Seattle should have a deeper team at all positions than most, but lack the high-end talent. It's how the expansion draft it setup.

That's basically how their D compares to Toronto, and it's Seattle's strongest position IMO.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Seattle selected a good blueline via the E.D and it's the strongest part of their team. I'd still take the Leaf blueline though.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Leafs defense is better

Rielly > Giordano
Brodie > Oleksiak
Muzzin > Dunn
Holl <= Larsson
Soucy = Dermott
Fleury Hayden = Sandin

I think Haydn Fleury will finally get a chance to play and show he's a good top-4 guy. I like him better than Holl.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Haydn Fluery is better than Sandin and Cale Fluery is way better than Liljegren
Cale Fleury probably isn't better than Lilijgren rn

He didn't play a single game in 2021 for the Habs.

In 2020 he was force fed minutes due to glaring weakness for the Habs at RHD and only had 1 pt in 41 games playing around 14.5 minutes a game

Lilijgren was better at the AHL level but never really got a shot at the NHL level until this upcoming season.

Lilijgren should be similar to dermott and provide us with good play in sheltered minutes.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Cale Fleury probably isn't better than Lilijgren rn

He didn't play a single game in 2021 for the Habs.

In 2020 he was force fed minutes due to glaring weakness for the Habs at RHD and only had 1 pt in 41 games playing around 14.5 minutes a game

Lilijgren was better at the AHL level but never really got a shot at the NHL level until this upcoming season.

Lilijgren should be similar to dermott and provide us with good play in sheltered minutes.

Cale Fluery is a stay at home defenseman. He isn’t an offensive guy. And he wasn’t force fed minutes in 2019-20. He made the team out of camp, he earned it. He’s played more games than Liljegren at the NHL level. Don’t get me wrong Liljegren is an offensive guy and can put up numbers but Cale Fluery is way better defensively

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad