Kraken 2024 draft

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't think we have to "tank". But if Francis can convince the ownership that we need one more season of good drafting to get the team setup for the future, it shouldn't be too hard for us to get there.

- Trade expiring UFA's who you do not consider part of the future. Gourde, Tanev, etc.
- Try to extend Larsson. If he is not willing, trade him.
- Take expiring contracts for assets.
- Don't worry about adding anything other than warm bodies to fill out our roster of this season.

Either you commit to competing or you commit to going down your original path and draft high to setup the team for the future.

Mckenna isn't draft eligible until 2026.

Maybe we'll think about plotting our course that way for 2025-26 if 2024-25 is especially hopeless. I'm probably not going to be a big fan of the idea.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I hope we have better luck at the lottery today than what I did in multiple runs of the tankathon draft sim today. I did probably 40ish rolls and I think majority of them had us dropping, then staying at 8 and I think 4 or 5 where we actually jumped up.

Reactions: The Marquis

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I hope we have better luck at the lottery today than what I did in multiple runs of the tankathon draft sim today. I did probably 40ish rolls and I think majority of them had us dropping, then staying at 8 and I think 4 or 5 where we actually jumped up.

Well, our odds are.

1st pick --> 6.0 %
2nd pick --> 6.2 %
3rd pick --> 0.2 %
8th pick --> 54.4 %
9th pick --> 30.0 %
10th pick --> 3.2 %

That's a 1/3 chance we end up at #9.

I personally, as always, am just hoping we don't move down more than one spot.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Well, our odds are.

1st pick --> 6.0 %
2nd pick --> 6.2 %
3rd pick --> 0.2 %
8th pick --> 54.4 %
9th pick --> 30.0 %
10th pick --> 3.2 %

That's a 1/3 chance we end up at #9.

I personally, as always, am just hoping we don't move down more than one spot.
Yeah. I mean it is what it is. Would rather stay at 8, though genuinely this is one draft where I am not certain even if dropping down to 10 does that much damage.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Yeah. I mean it is what it is. Would rather stay at 8, though genuinely this is one draft where I am not certain even if dropping down to 10 does that much damage.

Staying at 8, compared to dropping to 10, just means more options to choose from but doesn't guarantee a better player.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Staying at 8, compared to dropping to 10, just means more options to choose from but doesn't guarantee a better player.
Oh I understand. And I am just an internet scout. Not even a great one at that. But what I am saying is that with the way rankings are all over the place, there is a good chance that someone who we rank higher than 10 still drops to 10.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
What in the actual f*** does this even mean? Yes, I’m VERY drunk and in Vegas but I feel like that doesn’t matter for this. What the f***.

Also, 8th is great and let’s hope the Kraken never pick before 16th again.

sharks won the first draw for 1OA, then as they were drawing for 2OA they had to redraw it twice cause the sharks won the 2nd draw and the 3rd draw forcing a double redraw. So after 2 redraws for the 2nd overall pick, chicago came up and won 2nd overall.

A redraw hasn't ever happen before in the history of the lottery when it involved drawing for 2 picks or previous rules when they drew for 3 picks. Its just as bizzare as there being no movement in the lottery which only has happened 1 other time that i can recall.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I did a little thought experiment. I eliminated the seven players that I most wanted the Kraken to take in this year's entry draft. I was curious to see what choices we would be left with after eliminating my faves. Those choices ended up being:

Parekh
Iginla
Catton
Dickinson
Brandsegg-Nygard
Yaremchuk
Eiserman

I think we are in real good shape drafting at #8.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I did a little thought experiment. I eliminated the seven players that I most wanted the Kraken to take in this year's entry draft. I was curious to see what choices we would be left with after eliminating my faves. Those choices ended up being:

Parekh
Iginla
Catton
Dickinson
Brandsegg-Nygard
Yaremchuk
Eiserman

Pretty coincidental. I was doing something similar. I ranked my top-7 prospects and was looking to see what are the leftovers .. :)

TOP 7
------

- Celebrini
- Demidov
- Buium
- Lindstrom
- Levshunov
- Catton
- Iginla

LEFTOVERS
-------------

- Dickinson
- Silayev
- Parekh
- Yakemchuk
- Helenius
- NBN
- Sennecke (Kid has steadily made a case to go top-10 recently)
- Eiserman

The thing is that you can make a case for most of the "leftovers" going in the top-10 or even at 8. We could potential grab Silayev/Dickinson/Parekh at 8 and say that he was our top-5 and nobody would be surprised.

Reactions: majormajor

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia

Parekh
Iginla
Catton
Dickinson
Brandsegg-Nygard
Yaremchuk
Eiserman

Absolutely, that's a lot of talent still ready to go by our pick. Pumped.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
San Jose may be the big winner, but what an enviable position the Blackhawks are in. Want a probable #1 D to complement Bedard?; a big, highly skilled #2 centre?; an ideal forward to play along side your franchise player? Any one of them can be yours.

Have a hunch Silayev will go top 5 and Eiserman top 10.

Have a hunch we end up with Dickinson. He will probably be the least risky pick when we choose, and he will likely be able to step in fairly quickly, if not immediately. Can't blame Francis too much as Dickinson is a solid choice, especially for a GM who needs to improve his team fast and whose job is almost certainly on the line if he fails to do so.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
San Jose may be the big winner, but what an enviable position the Blackhawks are in. Want a probable #1 D to complement Bedard?; a big, highly skilled #2 centre?; an ideal forward to play along side your franchise player? Any one of them can be yours.

Have a hunch Silayev will go top 5 and Eiserman top 10.

Have a hunch we end up with Dickinson. He will probably be the least risky pick when we choose, and he will likely be able to step in fairly quickly, if not immediately. Can't blame Francis too much as Dickinson is a solid choice, especially for a GM who needs to improve his team fast and whose job is almost certainly on the line if he fails to do so.
If I were to guess the 3 most likely players we would be interested in AND are available at 8:

- Dickinson
- Helenius
- NBN

And I have no issue with either but I would rather have someone like Catton, Senneke, Parekh, etc. Someone with the upside to be a game changing player for us down the road.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
If I were to guess the 3 most likely players we would be interested in AND are available at 8:

- Dickinson
- Helenius
- NBN

And I have no issue with either but I would rather have someone like Catton, Senneke, Parekh, etc. Someone with the upside to be a game changing player for us down the road.
Totally agree. I'm even warming to Eiserman. I'd put him and Yakemchuk on that list.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

- Dickinson
- Helenius
- NBN

Yeah, I'd rather go for someone with a high ceiling even if it's more risky.
Though; I doubt Francis would do that.

Anyways, maybe we don't even draft at #8 and use the pick to trade for a guy like Marner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad