Post-Game Talk: KRAK @ DC - 7PM

DERM? GLERM?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Have we ever felt that it’s Eller’s play this season that has stunted the third line and in particular CMM this season. I’ve always felt that Eller holds the puck too long which I would imagine can be quite frustrating to his wings.

Eller has had a pretty brutal season. WOWYs don't paint the whole picture, but...

ellerla89

Pretty much every player on the team has performed better without Eller this year than with him. And it can't even be chalked up to incredibly difficult assignments on Eller's part: he's had the easiest competition of the 4 centers according to Evolving Hockey, and he gets relatively neutral zone starts.

I don't know that he's stunted McMichael in particular, but I think Eller is a big reason why the third line has been bad this year.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Right now we have 13 forwards including Sprong. Sprong should be attractive to the right team. Could see separate moves to get to an end point. Or a three way trade.

I also think management likes McMichael more than we give them credit for. He always keeps his jersey.

I think Management has always liked him just fine. Fans reading too much into ice time distribution to a not fully baked player, created a false narrative IMO.

Reactions: DWGie26

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Eller has had a pretty brutal season. WOWYs don't paint the whole picture, but...

ellerla89

Pretty much every player on the team has performed better without Eller this year than with him. And it can't even be chalked up to incredibly difficult assignments on Eller's part: he's had the easiest competition of the 4 centers according to Evolving Hockey, and he gets relatively neutral zone starts.

I don't know that he's stunted McMichael in particular, but I think Eller is a big reason why the third line has been bad this year.
Pretty shocking to me because he was arguably their best play driver the past 2 years. For whatever reason, his normal puck protection abilities just aren’t there and he’s making many more soft plays that are leading to turnovers. He’s one of my favorites, but he’s been a problem. I do think some level of consistency with linemates will help him, but most of it is his play in general. He needs to be a lot better.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Pretty shocking to me because he was arguably their best play driver the past 2 years. For whatever reason, his normal puck protection abilities just aren’t there and he’s making many more soft plays that are leading to turnovers. He’s one of my favorites, but he’s been a problem. I do think some level of consistency with linemates will help him, but most of it is his play in general. He needs to be a lot better.

He doesn't look limited or injured, but I wonder if the groin injury he suffered last year has had some lasting effect on him. We've seen what that type of injury has done to guys like Alzner and Laich in the past.

Reactions: caps4cup

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

yup, eye test easily confirms an off year for him.

These guys are human….could be a nagging injury or two, personal issues, etc….

Reactions: caps4cup

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Ended up being a strong victory after faltering under a pressured forecheck for cpl chunks of the game (esp 1st 5+ min.s)

Last 14 gms Caps are NUMBER 1 PP, let that bathtub in for a sec. ;)

Great game from Willy, loved that quick-read drop from OV on 43's goal

Interesting how a 'healthy' Top-6 affects so many things

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Ended up being a strong victory after faltering under a pressured forecheck for cpl chunks of the game (esp 1st 5+ min.s)

Last 14 gms Caps are NUMBER 1 PP, let that bathtub in for a sec. ;)

Great game from Willy, loved that quick-read drop from OV on 43's goal

Interesting how a 'healthy' Top-6 affects so many things

Crazy…

I was assured 77 and 39 would have minimal impact upon return. ;)

Reactions: zappa4ever

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Well, it’s also a little early to be assuming this team is dead and buried — but that hasn’t stopped the lot of you from declaring it.

so….
2 months of sub .500 play is a pretty good indicator. Could they rebound? Sure the Blues proved that, but looking at our issues and theirs doesn’t give you the same hope. I hope they have turned a corner, flipped a switch, shook off the rust, or whatever it is. But I’m still in the sell camp. Two games (one versus a crap team) isn’t changing that. Go get 5 points in the next three road games, and play solid hockey, now let’s talk.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
2 months of sub .500 play is a pretty good indicator. Could they rebound? Sure the Blues proved that, but looking at our issues and theirs doesn’t give you the same hope. I hope they have turned a corner, flipped a switch, shook off the rust, or whatever it is. But I’m still in the sell camp. Two games (one versus a crap team) isn’t changing that. Go get 5 points in the next three road games, and play solid hockey, now let’s talk.
They played pretty solidly versus Toronto. But, Sammy.

point is the entire season is one of highs and lows. By no means am I proclaiming this a Cup team, but it’s also not the tire fire that many on here would have you believe.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think they're still likely to struggle defensively all things considered but it sure helps to have a netminder that can make some stops. It's a game-changer. For me now it's more of a question of just how much can they ramp up attacking crispness and play downhill. The PP has rebounded but I still don't know about their 5v5 pace, hockey IQ and ability to quickly transition. They're a deeper and more balanced team again but their upside still seems vague. It still seems mostly like a puncher's chance sort of team because they don't really have truly dominant players or a really high degree of cohesion.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
There is something to be said about coming out and taking care of business against a crap team after a big win. I’m slightly more surprised they did than I would have been if they lost.

Having the PP firing again shifts the dynamic of the game, but I’m not changing my stance on Lavi needing to go until it’s more than them outscoring their issues.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
So whomping the Canes is erased by whomping the Krakensesses.

makes perfect sense

Reactions: RedRocking

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
2 months of sub .500 play is a pretty good indicator. //....
And they had 3 months above .700
what does that indicate

I'd think the next 10 show us closer to what's happening than the Jan/Feb slump or the great 30 game start

The team never got as bad as a 2-8 or even 3-7 stretch, I think 3-5-2 was they're worst 10?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Careful you don’t bruise the brain when it falls off that balance beam.

Not sure what this means.

People are poo-pooing this win because SEA sucks. "Yeah they won 2 in a row but the Caps have stunk for months". Ok. But maybe now they don't stink. Are they going to stink forever? At some point you don't suck as much, right? Maybe this is that point.

Reactions: PlushMinus

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
I think Management has always liked him just fine. Fans reading too much into ice time distribution to a not fully baked player, created a false narrative IMO.
I think most folks don’t understand how his current deployment is more beneficial than playing every situation in Hershey and building his confidence offensively. He has seen the NHL now, practiced with NHL players , all good things but he needs to build some of his confidence back IMO and the best place to do that is in Hershey.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
They played pretty solidly versus Toronto. But, Sammy.

point is the entire season is one of highs and lows. By no means am I proclaiming this a Cup team, but it’s also not the tire fire that many on here would have you believe.
Valid on the Toronto game. And you are correct there are highs and lows. Usually the lows aren’t that bad. I think it pointed more to team issues than a slump.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
And they had 3 months above .700
what does that indicate

I'd think the next 10 show us closer to what's happening than the Jan/Feb slump or the great 30 game start

The team never got as bad as a 2-8 or even 3-7 stretch, I think 3-5-2 was they're worst 10?
I would agree, if the team wets the bed on this road trip we probably haven’t really fixed much. If we get 5/6 points maybe the light has come back on.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
I would agree, if the team wets the bed on this road trip we probably haven’t really fixed much. If we get 5/6 points maybe the light has come back on.
5/6 is a tall ask considering CGY is the hottest team right now going 8-1-1 and great at home, not to mention MoMantha only 2gms back from LTIR and Hags > Axel F switch will be an adjustment

a larger sample size like 10gms where we're getting 12 of 20pts and better is more how I'm looking at it

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

In his most recent interview, GMBM pointed to the 3rd line as the only line with no identity. Eller’s had a lot of different players on his line, but nothing has clicked for him.

He has one more year left on his deal, but I’d be surprised if he wasn’t traded this summer or even at the deadline.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Soft plays to me suggest an injury he’s protecting. That may be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad