Boston Globe KPD: Under Don Sweeney, Bruins reemerged as an NHL power

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Under Don Sweeney, Bruins reemerged as an NHL power - The Boston Globe

St. Stephen, New Brunswick, is a border town, just across the St. Croix River from Calais, Maine, and most of the kids in Don Sweeney’s hometown grew up fans of the Toronto Maple Leafs or Montreal Canadiens. It was that way for decades, when Montreal and Toronto sweaters were draped on the shoulders of nearly every kid who dotted a patch of ice across the provinces.

“Until we got Channel 38,” Sweeney said the other day, reminiscing over the fine art of finagling a UHF antenna to watch Bruins broadcasts in the early 1970s. “Then I got the Bruins emblem stamped on me.”

Sweeney, 51, has applied a similarly fine touch as the Bruins general manager the last three seasons, helping to bring back into focus a team that had lost its edge in the years following its dramatic Stanley Cup championship in 2011.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Under Don Sweeney, Bruins reemerged as an NHL power - The Boston Globe

St. Stephen, New Brunswick, is a border town, just across the St. Croix River from Calais, Maine, and most of the kids in Don Sweeney’s hometown grew up fans of the Toronto Maple Leafs or Montreal Canadiens. It was that way for decades, when Montreal and Toronto sweaters were draped on the shoulders of nearly every kid who dotted a patch of ice across the provinces.

“Until we got Channel 38,” Sweeney said the other day, reminiscing over the fine art of finagling a UHF antenna to watch Bruins broadcasts in the early 1970s. “Then I got the Bruins emblem stamped on me.”

Sweeney, 51, has applied a similarly fine touch as the Bruins general manager the last three seasons, helping to bring back into focus a team that had lost its edge in the years following its dramatic Stanley Cup championship in 2011.
Good article. Wonder how DuPont viewed him at the beginning. Good article not a click baiter. Wonder which negative Nancy from here had the bad assessment of Sweeney in the comments section. Lol.

Reactions: Thrive

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Good article. Wonder how DuPont viewed him at the beginning. Good article not a click baiter. Wonder which negative Nancy from here had the bad assessment of Sweeney in the comments section. Lol.

I`ve been less inclined to enjoy his articles in recent years and not because I disagree often with his points, it`s that his contributions in recent years almost felt lazy and when I started getting access to his musing via the interwebz I used to really enjoy his writing even when I didn`t agree with him. This is a solid article

Reactions: hoss75

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
I`ve been less inclined to enjoy his articles in recent years and not because I disagree often with his points, it`s that his contributions in recent years almost felt lazy and when I started getting access to his musing via the interwebz I used to really enjoy his writing even when I didn`t agree with him. This is a solid article

KPD I think is a true reporter that had a hard time making a transition to today's more interactive media (like 95% of journalists). ANd I don't think he loved being forced out of his position.
I remember a few years ago he posted some predictions here and ultimately the thread turned south because people wanted to disagree and he didn't seem to want a back and forth.
At the end of the season I think he was right about 7 out of 10 of his predictions, or something as impressive. So he's a good writer that knows his stuff.

Reactions: Strafer

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

He's still capable of writing a decent article or profile that includes insight from others. The reason I turned away from KPD a long time ago was his tendency to take unnecessary, lazy shots at players (Bob Sweeney, et. al.) and indulge in hackneyed prose.

And, he got it in the paper before the series begins. Next: "Why Sweeney Is a Terrible Manager."

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Love the many quotes from agent to GM

Great article

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
He's still capable of writing a decent article or profile that includes insight from others. The reason I turned away from KPD a long time ago was his tendency to take unnecessary, lazy shots at players (Bob Sweeney, et. al.) and indulge in hackneyed prose.

And, he got it in the paper before the series begins. Next: "Why Sweeney Is a Terrible Manager."

That’s not KPD’s thing. He’s definitely not a flip-flopper. When he doesn’t like someone or something, you know it.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
That’s not KPD’s thing. He’s definitely not a flip-flopper. When he doesn’t like someone or something, you know it.

that`s half my issue with him over recent years Glory, he has an opinion and that`s fine but if his opinion/predictions or what have you turn out to be proven incorrect, I don`t see him showing the humility to admit if he`s been "off" about something/someone. It`s like he carries that grudge/opinion with him like the 12 year old pair of socks I still have in my dresser and can`t let it go:laugh:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
that`s half my issue with him over recent years Glory, he has an opinion and that`s fine but if his opinion/predictions or what have you turn out to be proven incorrect, I don`t see him showing the humility to admit if he`s been "off" about something/someone. It`s like he carries that grudge/opinion with him like the 12 year old pair of socks I still have in my dresser and can`t let it go:laugh:

Yeah, he sticks to his guns. Didn’t like Thornton or Kessel and never changed his opinion (at least while they were here).

I’m not saying it’s a good quality, just that he’s not going to be flip-flopping, as the previous poster seemed to be implying.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Yeah, he sticks to his guns. Didn’t like Thornton or Kessel and never changed his opinion (at least while they were here).

I’m not saying it’s a good quality, just that he’s not going to be flip-flopping, as the previous poster seemed to be implying.
I hear ya

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Sweeney is good

He is creating a team that is geared to be able to handle/excel in playoff hockey

Debrusk for example has fit in nicely. Physical stuff hasn't fazed him

Reactions: FanSince72

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Great article by KPD and I could can add to it a bit, but not until tomorrow.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Didn’t this KPD guy say Nash wouldn’t play in Boston anymore and that the trade was a huge mistake?

He explored the possibility. In a preceding media scrum, Cassidy had some kind of response to questions about each injured players’ status, but clammed up in an awkward manner when someone asked about Nash.

Nash hadn’t been seen in a while and the team wasn’t providing any information. Most thought he was suffering another concussion.

I think KPD’s article was fair.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
He explored the possibility. In a preceding media scrum, Cassidy had some kind of response to questions about each injured players’ status, but clammed up in an awkward manner when someone asked about Nash.

Nash hadn’t been seen in a while and the team wasn’t providing any information. Most thought he was suffering another concussion.

I think KPD’s article was fair.

I think had Nash gotten hurt and couldn’t play, that shouldn’t have been viewed as an indictment on Sweeney. And the way that article was written (making mention of spooners statistical start and Lindgrens to rub it in) was exactly that. You shouldn’t say a trade was bad because the player you got injured himself two weeks later. It makes the trade unfortunate but not an indictment on the gms ability to access talent. That was my gripe with the article. He did it again in this one which was meant to pump Sweeney up referencing the beleskey move and the money to backes. Now I agree with both of those being negatives but if you want to write a piece being negative don’t twist the headline and quotes to make it sound like a positive one. Either do puff pieces or hit pieces. He seems like he does hit pieces and then takes quiet jabs during his endearing ones

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
For all the BS this guy had to put up with, can we just give credit where credit is due. I'm calling out all the clowns,from different fan bases,who had so much to say about the Bruins management. And worst of all the fans FROM THE THE BRUINS FAN BASE . Shame on you

Especially after they traded Hamilton.

It really all started from there.

Yeah, yeah,I know Chia drafted Pasta.

Look at his work since then, do you really think HE'S the master mind behind all this .

f*** no, he's a babbling idiot.

Who says no?

#Sweenious

Reactions: Selke37 and Strafer

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
For all the BS this guy had to put up with, can we just give credit where credit is due. I'm calling out all the clowns,from different fan bases,who had so much to say about the Bruins management. And worst of all the fans FROM THE THE BRUINS FAN BASE . Shame on you

Especially after they traded Hamilton.

It really all started from there.

Yeah, yeah,I know Chia drafted Pasta.

Look at his work since then, do you really think HE'S the master mind behind all this .

**** no, he's a babbling idiot.

Who says no?

#Sweenious

Great post. Not shocked this thread has less than 20 replies.

The thing that bothered me was the stupid "what's the plan" stuff when he said what the plan was day one. Never had an issue with the posters that didn't like the plan, that's their opinion and fine.

The team God willing will be a contender for years again like our last run

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Great post. Not shocked this thread has less than 20 replies.

The thing that bothered me was the stupid "what's the plan" stuff when he said what the plan was day one. Never had an issue with the posters that didn't like the plan, that's their opinion and fine.

The team God willing will be a contender for years again like our last run

You took the words right out of my mouth. If only I had better memory , f*** , I'm getting old, lol .f*** it, I'm getting old and I'm wearing it like a badge, to many never get here. I salute those who never made it this far.

Last edited:

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Is doing a great job. But GM is as good as it's last trade, last signing etc.. that is why I like these guy! All their decisions are publicly challenged.

Your right. All of their decisions are publicly challenged . What I like best is that " they don't give a f*** " . They live by the sword and they die by the sword. Who could have done better? .....................No one.

Reactions: nords1995

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
Have admitted I was wrong in previous threads and warmed up to Don... but keeping avatar/sig or whatever as even though not really a big superstitious guy... it just seemed the right thing to do as it's definitely me being proved wrong lol

Honestly I really loved the Nash move as it was FINALLY what I been looking for, cashing in on all our picks/prospects to bring in star talent

I never saw this team achieving what they have this year... I figured playoff bubble team... I really believed they needed more proven NHL talent, but the kids/Don was right, I wasn't.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Draft day 2015. All I'm thinking is "what the heck is this guy doing?"

Milan Lucic became Sean Kuraly, Jakob Zboril and Trent Frederic (as well as 2 years of Colin Miller). Kuraly is the anchor of the 4th line. Zboril is developing in PRO. Frederic looks like a potential steal.

Dougie Hamilton became Zach Senyshyn, Jeremy Lauzon and JFK. Senyshyn is a late bloomer. Lauzon has looked good.

Beleskey was a mistake. Backes was an overpay, but the type of veteran this team needed.

He jettisoned a Stanley Cup-winning coach and the winningest coach in team history for a guy whose last NHL head coaching stint was a decade ago and had been in the minors for years (but was known in hockey circles as a really good coach).

But in every move, he's gradually put together a contender from a team that looked like it might have been imploding from a series of unfortunate moves by Peter Chiarelli. Sweeney has managed the cap well, he's drafted well, the team has an insane amount of NHL-caliber depth to build around the core.

Pastrnak's contract is a steal. Bergeron & Marchand's contracts give the team a lot of flexibility.

KPD makes a great point that anyone coming in only has to be the sixth-best forward, which takes a lot of pressure off. Cassidy is the perfect coach for working with and developing young guys.

He's exceeded my expectations, by far.

Reactions: JOKER 192

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
What I like best about Sweeny is that when he makes a mistake (Beleskey) he recognizes it and corrects it. Some GM's are to proud to admit a mistake . Making mistakes as a GM is going to happen, what you do about a mistake when it happens is what sets apart winners and losers.

He was the joke of the league just a few years back, but who s laughing now? He built a team that seems to be able to play through almost any adversity you throw at them. Interchangeable parts , and prospects falling out of his pockets, an embarrassment of riches is what he has. I Didn't really agree with the Nash acquisition and the price he paid but it's the type of move the Bruins can afford to make .

Last edited:
Reactions: Selke37

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad