Boston Globe KPD: The Bruins didn’t have their teammates’ backs on Monday, and that could be a problem

member 96824

They got bounced around by TB in 2018 and it took
just 5 games. They ran Krug out of the series and
literally knocked out Backes.

That's TB, STL in the PO 2 years in a row and we know what Washington
will do to them.

Before I react, I may not be reading this correctly. Are you saying Tampa Bay was too physical for us?

Tampa Bay made us look like an AHL team that year. We were lucky to touch the puck after game 1, when they came out of the gate very rusty. They had more speed and skill than us and skated circles around the Bruins.

We also had those types that people in this thread are begging for on the roster: Miller, McQuaid, Wingels, Backes plus lighter weight guys like Acciari, Nash, Kuraly, etc.

I can’t tell just cause the post is confusing. The loss to Tampa, where we were clearly the inferior hockey team and the loss to St Louis, game 7 in a game we dominated, were wildly different situations.

Reactions: CDJ

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I did expect some get-together, especially in today’s NHL where guys get in hug matches over any big hit, clean or not.

But I think guys respond more by hitting in today’s game, it’s much more effective considering how involved the officials are in preventing fights from happening. And most guys won’t answer the bell the way they used to.

It’s much more dangerous but that’s what the game has come to.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Physically dominated for 7 games and one of the main reasons they lost
But like you say whatever fits your agenda.

I disagree. Inability to capitalize on opportunities was the reason they lost. And there numerous are subtexts to that. They were not physically dominated for 7 games. They were the less physical team overall, that I will give you. It’s not why they lost.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jean_Jacket41

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Look at the second and third periods after Holtbybhad been pulled and Washington upped the physical play, see howvtgat looks.

Game before christmas break, a team Washington has dominated for years and set the tone for how they will beat in the playoffs, unless Sweeney wakes up, and you really think that this is a big win, bigger than showing they have no response for being intimidated and dont stand up for each other. You are wrong or know nothing about hockey, be it 40 years ago or today's version. Period.

Now you’re sort of making things up. I didn’t and don’t view the win as a colossal win. It’s just a win.
This discussion has gone off the rails, remember the initial premise you shared was that the capitals and ovechkin were laughing at the lack of physical response from the bruins and that losing 7-3 was some sort of joke to them...and I disagreed. I can’t for the life of me fathom that Ovie was laughing after a 7-3 loss. That’s a ludicrous presumption.

Last edited:

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Before I react, I may not be reading this correctly. Are you saying Tampa Bay was too physical for us?

Tampa Bay made us look like an AHL team that year. We were lucky to touch the puck after game 1, when they came out of the gate very rusty. They had more speed and skill than us and skated circles around the Bruins.

We also had those types that people in this thread are begging for on the roster: Miller, McQuaid, Wingels, Backes plus lighter weight guys like Acciari, Nash, Kuraly, etc.

I can’t tell just cause the post is confusing. The loss to Tampa, where we were clearly the inferior hockey team and the loss to St Louis, game 7 in a game we dominated, were wildly different situations.

The issue for me is up front and the lack of physicality
there. That team had a 4th line that used the body and
that was it. Looks the same to me with this group.

They need a couple of wingers with speed, size
and attitude. Wood from NJ comes to mind.
Too many guys that have no aggression up
front.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

you're right that Tampa was just better than the Bruins in 2018, but they also pounded the Bruins all series despite not really having a size advantage. I definitely came out of that series frustrated that this Bruins team was more nail than hammer. It's why many were calling for adding a guy like Wagner that Summer.

I think what the Bruins lack (and this is obviously impossible to quantify) is guys who are just f***ing mean. Adding Wagner was a step in the right direction, but a lot of their guys, even their grinders are just too passive for some people's liking. They'll respond & defend teammates when shit really hits the fan, but the threshold is arguably too high. I think a big reason St. Louis beat the Bruins (and part of why Tampa beat them the year before) was their willingness to play dirty and embrace a "trench warfare" style of play. Don't forget the Bruins lost key pieces (Rick Nash & Grizz) to dirty hits in both of those series. Krug bulldozing Robert Thomas should have been a difference maker, but in the long run it just meant more ice time for guys like Barbashev, Sundquist, Sandford & Blais. Those names don't jump out at you as being offensive threats, but they employed a gameplan that played to those guys' strengths.

I'd love to see the Bruins replace guys like Lindholm and Heinen with guys who play with more of a killer instinct. I still think that sort of thing matters in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, even if skill, talent, etc. are obviously critical.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I'd love to know your plan to get bigger as I respect your opinion and knowledge around here. I've seen Anderson tossed around here but from talking to BJ fans he would take more than we would ever be willing to give up and I dont see him as realistic for that reason.

I think we need to add size/physicality, but I also think we're getting outskated and outscored 5on5 so speed and skill are in the equation as well. I'd actually be looking to make two additions to the middle 6, and I'd move out Heinen to create some cap space and free up a spot on the 3rd line.

My top choice for 2RW is Kreider. He's big, fast, physical and consistently scores around 50 points a season. He does a lot of damage at even strength and he's an excellent net front guy on the PP so he can help PP1. Pageau is another guy I think could help but he's behind Kreider because I'm not sure how he'd fit on the wing and Coyle is better at center. I also like Saad, he has similar size, speed and net front abilities to Kreider, but he's not nearly as physical. (I don't believe guys like Palmieri or Anderson are actually available.)

Filling that 3RW hole is proving much harder to find. My ideal fit would be Jake Virtanen. Young, fast, physical, blossoming offensive talent... but now that he's starting to score they won't move him. The list of guys that are actually available are all flawed in some way. Wood, Simmonds, Shaw, Fast... any one of them could fall flat on their face or catch lightning in a bottle and fit in perfectly. I do think it’s important to add one though, because it creates some competition and increases your chances that someone will work out, be it Miles Wood or Karson Kuhlman.

Marsh - Bergy - Pasta
Kreider - Krejci - DeBrusk
Bjork - Coyle - Wood

Last edited:
Reactions: PepeBostones

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Just saw that Zac Rinaldo is still in the NHL. Wtf. Striking.

Pretty much blows up the accepted idea that the Goon is dead. Just not in vogue.

The guy is the very definition of blunt instrument that brings one thing to the table, if that.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Just saw that Zac Rinaldo is still in the NHL. Wtf. Striking.

Pretty much blows up the accepted idea that the Goon is dead. Just not in vogue.

The guy is the very definition of blunt instrument that brings one thing to the table, if that.

2 goals and an assist in 8 games for the minutes he gets ain’t too shabby. 7 assists in 14 games in the A. He’s a pretty good skater and he certainly hits, that’s not the worst option to have as a 12th/13th forward

member 96824

Found an awesome article from the same paper

”The identity is the following: Float around the offensive zone and joust with their sticks instead of slamming bodies, taking numbers, and creating turnovers. Roll four drowsy lines of easy-to-play-against forwards. Pray to the hockey gods that goalie Tim Thomas saves their skins.
It’s not working.
They’re slow. They’re soft. They have too many passengers instead of participants. Opponents are taking notice.”

Host Bruins duck out early; Anaheim the life of the party

Date on that one, December 21, 2010.

Reactions: Number8 and KWbruin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad