Boston Globe KPD: The Bruins’ perch atop Atlantic Division standings looks precarious

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
OK, so we see now that it’s going to get interesting, perhaps even a bit dicey, for the Bruins here in the second half.

Their offense has hit a snag.

Toronto and Tampa are sizzling and on the chase.

The Providence pipeline, deemed by many to be bursting with prospects who can push the varsity for jobs on offense and defense, looks like it’s clogged with a lot of, you know, AHL guys. Odd that, huh?

The standings on Sunday evening, following their matinee idle 4-1 loss to the Oilers on home ice Saturday, had the Bruins (59 points) still pegged at No. 1 in the Atlantic Division, their lead now winnowed to six points over the Leafs and nine ahead of the Bolts.

But look a little closer, folks. The Bruins, Leafs, and Bolts were tied in wins (24)

The Bruins’ perch atop Atlantic Division standings looks precarious - The Boston Globe

upload_2020-1-5_22-14-35.png

The road ahead

Bruins

upload_2020-1-5_22-20-26.png

Toronto

upload_2020-1-5_22-24-4.png

Tampa

upload_2020-1-5_22-22-57.png

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Bruins prime objective is to have Tampa and Toronto meet in the first round but playing the 4th rated team in the Metro won't be a free pass either

upload_2020-1-6_8-16-46.png

Reactions: Boston Bandit

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I rarely look at the standings this early, but weren't they up by double digits over all these teams? Toronto seems to be better with the new coach, I hope that's a mirage.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
There's soo much hockey left... at some point Bruins will win more than their share of games and the picture will look differently. Trying to do playoffs matchup at this point is pointless.

Reactions: bluetib

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Still waiting for one of these prospects to seize a job, or the GM to fill the hole that feels like it's existed forever. I understand the need for patience, but at one point do you decide
it's time to do something?

Reactions: TCB

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Still waiting for one of these prospects to seize a job, or the GM to fill the hole that feels like it's existed forever. I understand the need for patience, but at one point do you decide
it's time to do something?

The bleeding has to stop because you also have Florida now in hailing range to make the Top 3 in the Atlantic - Montreal and Buffalo look like toast right now.

KrazyLegs

Registered Dude
Jun 12, 2011
Westminster, MA
This team has left a ton of points on the ice by blowing 3rd-period leads and by absolutely sucking in OT and SOs.

We have by far the most OT losses, 11. And by far the worst SO record, 0-6. Cut those numbers in half, and the Bs still have a double-digit lead.

Funny thing is that the second-worst SO team in the NHL is the Blues.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
That is true to a point but the nice safe lead the Bruins had a month ago has dwindled

View attachment 303559
I do follow the standings for both conference's in a detailed manner on a regular basis. The Bruins, Leafs and Lighting first 20 games or so was not on par for the course. Although the can't lose Bruins have become the can't win Bruins, finals have finally caught up with them. After the 10 days off in January Things should settle down for the last half.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
What goes around comes around. Boston since December 1 is 6w 5l 5otl in 16 games. They were red hot the first 2 months now they are basically playing 500 hockey. Toronto and Tampa both struggled the first 2 months now they both are playing better. What goes around comes around.
Granted Boston hasn't played great of late but I am sure playing 20 games in 37 days has nothing to do with that and the fact their lackluster effort Saturday was game 20 in that span with much of the team under the weather with some sickness. I believe Boston will overcome what ails them and start winning their share of games again. I also believe Toronto and Tampa will cool off a bit and lose their share of games. What goes around comes around. I don't think anyone here expected Boston to run away with winning the division. Most people expected it to be a two or three team race. It's an 82 game season, things tend to even out. What goes around comes around. Boston's wins will come around again.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I don’t see us getting past the first round if we make the playoffs.

3 guys can’t win enough games for you. Even if they can, they will be exhausted and battered come May.

Something has to change.
it`s January and I don`t make exclamations about playoff failures or successes in January no matter how poorly the team is playing

IF this were the exact team come playoff time, I`d have a few issues but I can all but assure you it won`t be, with the Seattle team coming, this deadline (and summer for that matter) will be busy

Reactions: jangerhofer

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
OK, so we see now that it’s going to get interesting, perhaps even a bit dicey, for the Bruins here in the second half.

Their offense has hit a snag.

Toronto and Tampa are sizzling and on the chase.

The Providence pipeline, deemed by many to be bursting with prospects who can push the varsity for jobs on offense and defense, looks like it’s clogged with a lot of, you know, AHL guys. Odd that, huh?

That's a major concern.

Reactions: Hali33

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Boston is not as bad as they have been recently and Toronto is not as good as they have been. Realistically us, Tampa and Toronto are all probably around the same level. The problem is we totally blew the advantage we had with Toronto and Tampa having such poor starts. Now it's gonna be a dog fight until the end I think.

I just dont want to play TO in the first round again. I'm so sick of that.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Boston is not as bad as they have been recently and Toronto is not as good as they have been. Realistically us, Tampa and Toronto are all probably around the same level. The problem is we totally blew the advantage we had with Toronto and Tampa having such poor starts. Now it's gonna be a dog fight until the end I think.

I just dont want to play TO in the first round again. I'm so sick of that.
Leafs are doing what the B`s have struggled to do and that`s collect points vs teams that are lesser than they are

Leafs are absolutely loaded offensively, what will happen, yet again, when it counts is their lack of defensive attention and willingness

Leafs have beaten Buff/Detroit/Devils/Wild/Jets- 10 pts vs lesser opponents, this is the stuff that matters

B`s look exhausted, complete absence of both focus and secondary scoring....again

Confident Sweeney will address it but can`t let pts continue to slip away, problem is, as we all know that there are always so many teams on the outside of the playoff bubble whose GM`s will always think they aren`t too far out to force them to start moving out pieces, a run might get them into a playoff conversation

We shall see

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I agree with Dupes:

Cassidy needs to get far more compete and finish from the so-called next wave of scorers, particularly the likes of Danton Heinen, Jake DeBrusk and Anders Bjork. Through Saturday, their combined production for 109 games this season stood at 23 goals and 46 points.

Let’s remember here that Heinen alone collected 16 goals and 47 points in his 2017-18 rookie season, the same year DeBrusk posted 40 points in 70 games. Those two in particular are not adding to their numbers or their compete. Bjork is harder to quantify and compare year over year, because his last two seasons were truncated by injury/surgery.

Overall, all three are falling short of their promise as the next generation of offense. They play polite, smart games, and that’s fine and dandy for, say, an All-Star Game or skills contest, or when the Bruins face some of the league’s bottom feeders
They’re young. They’re skilled. But they are far too quiet, be it because everyone through the order has become too accustomed to Bergeron’s line carrying the day, or because they’re too complacent or lacking the edge and snarl it takes to compete for pucks and shots.

If they can’t do it, or won’t do it, then it’s either find a fix [Jack Studnicka? Karson Kuhlman?) in Providence or have GM Don Sweeney chase it one more time before the Feb. 24 trade deadline.

What we know today is that waiting on one line won’t cut it. It’s time for some of these kids to step up. Or step aside for someone else.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He's not far off except for the statement about the Providence pipeline. It might be fine, but you'd never know the way the team has been using it lately. I cannot believe that there are not better options there than Ritchie at the minimum.

Reactions: missingchicklet

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
This is the first season since the loser point has been around that we have taken full advantage of it always seems like everyone else is manipulating it and playing 3 pointers and all our losses come in regulation.

I'm not buying on Toronto. Tampa on the other hand I can see keeping it going rest of the way.

Reactions: Blowfish

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I have a feeling Toronto will dust the Bruins if we play them in the first round. They’re fast as hell, skilled... soft, but that doesn’t really matter against this Bruins team because the Bruins are right there with them.

It will basically be the Bergeron line + Krug against a team with actual secondary scoring.

I don’t know. I’m not overly confident in this current squad come post season time. They need two additions I think, a big, strong winger in the top 9 and a scoring 2 RW.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I think the battle will be good for them to get them in the right place mentally when it matters. They had an excellent start while their competition struggled. They built up a huge lead and it seems they’ve been trying to coast ever since. They’ve been losing points left and right and been looking pretty casual about that to be honest.

They’ve been able to get away with it up till now so it’s about time something lights a fire under their ass. If our secondary scoring can’t get it done, better to know that now then when it’s too late to do anything about it. If this team is truly good enough to win a Cup they can handle a fight against Tampa and Toronto.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I have a feeling Toronto will dust the Bruins if we play them in the first round. They’re fast as hell, skilled... soft, but that doesn’t really matter against this Bruins team because the Bruins are right there with them.

It will basically be the Bergeron line + Krug against a team with actual secondary scoring.

I don’t know. I’m not overly confident in this current squad come post season time. They need two additions I think, a big, strong winger in the top 9 and a scoring 2 RW.

Not seeing us getting tons of Power Plays vs the Leafs, 5 on 5 Torey Krug is not scaring anyone

Reactions: KrejciWinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad