Boston Globe KPD: The Bruins’ perch atop Atlantic Division standings looks precarious

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The difference in ability between Boston, Toronto and Tampa is very small, so I’d say their points are just evening out over the course of the season. Their methodology and compositions are different but the end result is pretty similar – Boston has top-5 defense but only bottom-10 offense, Toronto is the exact opposite, and Tampa is more balanced in being at least top-10 in both areas. Probably their offense is a little stronger than their D, but their excellent goalie combination makes up for that. Obviously the Bruins need to address their lack of scoring and bring in a couple of good forwards, whereas Tampa have a little cap space to work with and will probably look to make a couple of general upgrades if they can. The Leafs are in cap hell but surely they’re going to want to try to snaffle a cheap-ish, experienced defender.

Sweeney knows his team as it stands won’t go far, he’s not stupid. It’s a question of what he can get, and how much he’s willing to give up for it. My take on Boston’s recruiting and team management strategies in recent years is that their number 1 priority is to remain a consistent, top-10 team in the league. They don’t want to be a Blackhawks or Kings that win the Cup but then fall off a cliff and spend the next 5-10 years in purgatory. So they’re willing to trade to try and improve the team and give it a chance at a deep playoff run, but not to mortgage or give away too much of the team’s future in doing so. I’m not sure whether this policy ultimately comes from Jacobs or Neely or somewhere else, but that seems to be how it is.

It's a sensible strategy, to a point, but I feel like this season they need to push harder in trading and risk a little extra. The current core is just about done, and I’d say deep down we all know they only have one last shot at another Cup. The squad is also tired and a bit jaded after going so deep last season. They need a freshen up to reinvigorate the group for another run. But they do have a realistic shot that’s worth investing in. So the FO needs to be bold. Last season they gave up one so-so young forward and a couple of picks for two solid players. Sharp work and it was nearly enough.

This time they may need to give up more to get more. There are limits – last year Columbus probably went too far in going for immediate success – but there is definitely room for Sweeney to make bigger plays on the market without compromising the team’s long-term future too much. The extra defensive depth this year thanks to the rise of Clifton, the confirmation of Gryz as a genuine, solid NHL-er, and Lauzon and Vaak being ready to step up, plus Bjork proving his talent adding just a little up forward, gives Don the pieces to work with. There are going to be compromises – we’ll likely need to give away some of that back-end depth, a prospect or two and maybe a current forward as well – but I think most would agree it would be worth it if it takes us to another SCF, and the evidence is well and truly there to justify taking a punt and going for it now. There is a tomorrow, but if the Bruins want a Cup anytime in the next 5 years at least, the time to get it is today.

Reactions: Blowfish and Estlin

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
He's not far off except for the statement about the Providence pipeline. It might be fine, but you'd never know the way the team has been using it lately. I cannot believe that there are not better options there than Ritchie at the minimum.

So what forwards look ready to help the parent club with production? No one down there is currently lighting it up. Studnicka and Carey lead the team in scoring with 26 points. That's tied for 38th in the AHL. Senyshyn has 3 points in 18 games.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
So what forwards look ready to help the parent club with production? No one down there is currently lighting it up. Studnicka and Carey lead the team in scoring with 26 points. That's tied for 38th in the AHL. Senyshyn has 3 points in 18 games.

My feeling is that you never know till you try. They can't be any worse than what is currently happening on the big club. And I also am not a huge believer that a player has to light up the AHL to be a good player on an NHL roster. Senyshyn needs a longer look for starters. Wouldn't you rather see him get a shot over Brett Ritchie? Kuhlman should be back- we haven't seen all of what he can or cannot do just yet. Frederic might be a better option than no ozone Par Lindholm, or Kuraly's crap play. I think Anton Blidh would add some energy and *might* be a scoring upgrade over our current 4th line but he might be a week or two away from prime fitness.

I just don't know if any of them would be an upgrade, but for KPD to just say the pipeline is dry is out of touch to say the least. It might well be, but you have to play the players in the NHL to know.

Now if he just meant to say there isn't apparently a top 6 RW ready to step in, fine. That is something the Bruins have needed and not been able to develop, but to indict the entire prospect system as a whole is just a poor take IMO.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
My feeling is that you never know till you try. They can't be any worse than what is currently happening on the big club. And I also am not a huge believer that a player has to light up the AHL to be a good player on an NHL roster. Senyshyn needs a longer look for starters. Wouldn't you rather see him get a shot over Brett Ritchie? Kuhlman should be back- we haven't seen all of what he can or cannot do just yet. Frederic might be a better option than no ozone Par Lindholm, or Kuraly's crap play. I think Anton Blidh would add some energy and *might* be a scoring upgrade over our current 4th line but he might be a week or two away from prime fitness.

I just don't know if any of them would be an upgrade, but for KPD to just say the pipeline is dry is out of touch to say the least. It might well be, but you have to play the players in the NHL to know.

Now if he just meant to say there isn't apparently a top 6 RW ready to step in, fine. That is something the Bruins have needed and not been able to develop, but to indict the entire prospect system as a whole is just a poor take IMO.

I assume Kuhlman will be up as soon as he's ready.

Reactions: Dr Hook

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I agree with Dupes:

Cassidy needs to get far more compete and finish from the so-called next wave of scorers, particularly the likes of Danton Heinen, Jake DeBrusk and Anders Bjork. Through Saturday, their combined production for 109 games this season stood at 23 goals and 46 points.

Let’s remember here that Heinen alone collected 16 goals and 47 points in his 2017-18 rookie season, the same year DeBrusk posted 40 points in 70 games. Those two in particular are not adding to their numbers or their compete. Bjork is harder to quantify and compare year over year, because his last two seasons were truncated by injury/surgery.

Overall, all three are falling short of their promise as the next generation of offense. They play polite, smart games, and that’s fine and dandy for, say, an All-Star Game or skills contest, or when the Bruins face some of the league’s bottom feeders
They’re young. They’re skilled. But they are far too quiet, be it because everyone through the order has become too accustomed to Bergeron’s line carrying the day, or because they’re too complacent or lacking the edge and snarl it takes to compete for pucks and shots.

If they can’t do it, or won’t do it, then it’s either find a fix [Jack Studnicka? Karson Kuhlman?) in Providence or have GM Don Sweeney chase it one more time before the Feb. 24 trade deadline.

What we know today is that waiting on one line won’t cut it. It’s time for some of these kids to step up. Or step aside for someone else.

So I agree those 3 are key, but I’m not sure how much of that is on the coach. To suggest it’s on Cassidy is to assume those players are capable of it.

I always default first to the player themselves but then to the GM. If their shortfalls are clear and they aren’t taking the next step, should ALL 3 still be here? Would it not make sense to move one and maybe hope that lights a fire under the other two?

I became pro Sweeney after the deals last deadline, but my knock was always too much patience. I could be wrong here, again, but damn...I sometimes miss the days when the GM would would kick even a little ass. Maybe make it something other than Club Med for these guys.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Blues going worst to first last year has me totally rethinking the importance of NHL standings.

Winning the division is much less important than getting hot at the right time.

The Bruins had better figure it the f*** out or they’re going to be fighting for their playoff lives.

You don’t need that added stress, wear, and tear a season after making the deepest of possible playoff runs only to come up short.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Time for Trader Don to enter the picture.
Worst time to make a trade. I think they are continually looking to improve if the opportunity for a good deal presents itself or materializes. Often teams are looking for draft picks... we all know Sweeney loves his picks.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
The difference in ability between Boston, Toronto and Tampa is very small, so I’d say their points are just evening out over the course of the season. Their methodology and compositions are different but the end result is pretty similar – Boston has top-5 defense but only bottom-10 offense, Toronto is the exact opposite, and Tampa is more balanced in being at least top-10 in both areas. Probably their offense is a little stronger than their D, but their excellent goalie combination makes up for that. Obviously the Bruins need to address their lack of scoring and bring in a couple of good forwards, whereas Tampa have a little cap space to work with and will probably look to make a couple of general upgrades if they can. The Leafs are in cap hell but surely they’re going to want to try to snaffle a cheap-ish, experienced defender.

Sweeney knows his team as it stands won’t go far, he’s not stupid. It’s a question of what he can get, and how much he’s willing to give up for it. My take on Boston’s recruiting and team management strategies in recent years is that their number 1 priority is to remain a consistent, top-10 team in the league. They don’t want to be a Blackhawks or Kings that win the Cup but then fall off a cliff and spend the next 5-10 years in purgatory. So they’re willing to trade to try and improve the team and give it a chance at a deep playoff run, but not to mortgage or give away too much of the team’s future in doing so. I’m not sure whether this policy ultimately comes from Jacobs or Neely or somewhere else, but that seems to be how it is.

It's a sensible strategy, to a point, but I feel like this season they need to push harder in trading and risk a little extra. The current core is just about done, and I’d say deep down we all know they only have one last shot at another Cup. The squad is also tired and a bit jaded after going so deep last season. They need a freshen up to reinvigorate the group for another run. But they do have a realistic shot that’s worth investing in. So the FO needs to be bold. Last season they gave up one so-so young forward and a couple of picks for two solid players. Sharp work and it was nearly enough.

This time they may need to give up more to get more. There are limits – last year Columbus probably went too far in going for immediate success – but there is definitely room for Sweeney to make bigger plays on the market without compromising the team’s long-term future too much. The extra defensive depth this year thanks to the rise of Clifton, the confirmation of Gryz as a genuine, solid NHL-er, and Lauzon and Vaak being ready to step up, plus Bjork proving his talent adding just a little up forward, gives Don the pieces to work with. There are going to be compromises – we’ll likely need to give away some of that back-end depth, a prospect or two and maybe a current forward as well – but I think most would agree it would be worth it if it takes us to another SCF, and the evidence is well and truly there to justify taking a punt and going for it now. There is a tomorrow, but if the Bruins want a Cup anytime in the next 5 years at least, the time to get it is today.

Thank you for sharing...Great post.

Thinking Don lands a Righty D man and Ottawa Senator.

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
Worst time to make a trade. I think they are continually looking to improve if the opportunity for a good deal presents itself or materializes. Often teams are looking for draft picks... we all know Sweeney loves his picks.
Could of had Kovy for free and did nothing!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->