OT: Kovy retires? What?

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
IKEA is own (in the end, no matter how the holding companies are situatied to avoid taxes) by Ingvar Kamprad and his family. Ingvar Kamprad is most known as a Scoorge McDuck, and wont ever support anything sports related anywere, but IF he would he would support a club in either his home (soon to be exhome) in Switzerland, or his old (soon to be new) home in Småland.

He is Swedish.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
I think he's easily the most overrated player of his generation. He brought a lot of value to a team on the PP- but he was terrible at ES. He had far and away the worst +- of any forward over the course of his career, so any goals and points he contributed at ES ended up being overshadowed b/c he would be outscored by a bundle anyway 5 on 5. Even on a team that went to the cup finals, he was a - player in both the regular season and playoffs.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He is Swedish.

He is indeed, surprised this was being discussed that way, thought everyone knew IKEA was a company from Sweden. Hell look at the IKEA buildings/stores themselves....

In any event if you look up Ingvar Kamprad which takes a second you will find out he is Swedish.

In fact after the passing of his wife the 87 year old Kamprad has moved home to Sweden, after three decades of living primarily in Switzerland. Using Sweden for vacations and holidays, during that time period.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think he's easily the most overrated player of his generation. He brought a lot of value to a team on the PP- but he was terrible at ES. He had far and away the worst +- of any forward over the course of his career, so any goals and points he contributed at ES ended up being overshadowed b/c he would be outscored by a bundle anyway 5 on 5. Even on a team that went to the cup finals, he was a - player in both the regular season and playoffs.

I don't think Kovy was bad defensively, he was one of the most underrated PK guys of his era. His five on five play I always did find a little frustrating at times. He wasn't a great backchecker and when he made a mistake he also never busted to fix it.

But he wasn't overrated, he played mostly on garbage teams and quite frankly if you ever saw him in person he was one of the players that was easily worth the price of admission. A big guy, with a fabulous shot and a wonderful stride.

Depending on how his career goes in Russia, he should absolutely get into the HHOF. Will probably be Captain of the Gold Medal winning side in 2014.

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
So maybe after year 1 of the contract, some Russian team offers him double the money. And maybe the Wings have a chance to use that $7.5M cap on someone else.

Or maybe they'd be able to use none of it. But they could suspend him (see my previous post).

Datsyuk's deal is +35 contract. The whole cap hit would stay if he retires.

Yeah; I had forgotten that when I posted, and I was thinking "what's the cap recapture on various players?" so it kind of slipped through.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
uh....what?

gonna have to elaborate on that one

did someone hold him at gunpoint? kidnap his family? what are you even saying

Well, Ken Holland said that theoretically if Datsyuk tried to do the same thing he'd fight it and do whatever he could to get Pavs to play for Detroit. Lou lets his best player "retire" so he can go play in another league?

That just shows you what a pile of garbage the New Jersey Devils are. It's an embarrassment for them and the fact Bettman let this happen is a pretty big indictment of how much ****** franchises like the Devils have a disproportionate say in how the league is run.

If Bettman was worth anything he'd force the Devils to follow the ****** CBA they created and man the **** up and buy Kovalchuk out. However since Lamoriello is one of Bettman's flunkies Gary is happy to look the other way and let an elite talent leave the NHL. If the rumors are true that Kovy will be back in 3 years it further illustrates what a piece of **** the CBA is and that we need a new commissioner who will not kowtow to the worst run and most financially decrepit teams in the league.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Well, Ken Holland said that theoretically if Datsyuk tried to do the same thing he'd fight it and do whatever he could to get Pavs to play for Detroit. Lou lets his best player "retire" so he can go play in another league?

That just shows you what a pile of garbage the New Jersey Devils are. It's an embarrassment for them and the fact Bettman let this happen is a pretty big indictment of how much ****** franchises like the Devils have a disproportionate say in how the league is run.

If Bettman was worth anything he'd force the Devils to follow the ****** CBA they created and man the **** up and buy Kovalchuk out. However since Lamoriello is one of Bettman's flunkies Gary is happy to look the other way and let an elite talent leave the NHL. If the rumors are true that Kovy will be back in 3 years it further illustrates what a piece of **** the CBA is and that we need a new commissioner who will not kowtow to the worst run and most financially decrepit teams in the league.

I don't understand why you want the Devils to buy him out for leaving for Russia. I don't understand what Holland can do if Datsyuk just says I'm going to Russia to play and waves good bye. Just not understand you going off on this with all this hatred. I'm mr Conspiracy and a basher of the league's leaders but I don't think they did anything wrong and really could care less if he left for Russia. The NHL will go on.

RedWingsNow*

1995 dies hard for some.

I think, more realistically, Bettman is one of Lamoriello's flunkies

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

that's not even remotely what you said though

you said Kovalchuk didn't retire voluntarily,how exactly does the Devils agreeing to let him go prove that?

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I don't understand why you want the Devils to buy him out for leaving for Russia. I don't understand what Holland can do if Datsyuk just says I'm going to Russia to play and waves good bye. Just not understand you going off on this with all this hatred. I'm mr Conspiracy and a basher of the league's leaders but I don't think they did anything wrong and really could care less if he left for Russia. The NHL will go on.

OK. Let's put words in each other's mouths! :shakehead

The commissioner loves to examine **** that runs counter to his perceived concept of what the CBA is all about. He really examined the Luongo deal and sabre rattled saying such deals weren't in the spirit of the CBA.

When the Devils originally signed Kovy to a deal the commish said 'hey, this is clearly a contract that doesn't fit what we are trying to do. I call shenanigans!' The irony of course was funny because Lou is a Bettman slappy. So the Devils needed to create a deal that fit the true nature of the CBA and didn't make a complete ****ing joke of Gary's beloved CBA.

So...is Gary Bettman a ****ing dumbass? Well obviously he is, but since you want to call me out let me ask you a question. How on God's green ****ing earth can anyone take Kovy's "retirement" seriously? Isn't it the biggest ****ing joke in the history of the NHL? Guys's a top 15ish player in the league and you do your boy Lou a solid by buying this crock of **** about a retirement?

If you are the commish and you believe strongly in your CBA - hey, you just lost nearly 50% of last season!! - well then how do you let this ******** stand? It's about 1000% times worse than the long-term contracts because the guy will be playing in the KHL this year. How the **** is that a ****ing retirement? No one can be that ****ing stupid, I mean really. Come on.

If Bettman was a true commissioner looking out for what was best for the game he'd tell Lou to go **** himself and buy Kovy out so another NHL team could sign him and you could keep a top 15ish player in the NHL.

Is anyone stupid enough to believe Kovy said he wanted to retire and expected his team to buy that ****? If any league deserves to get crucified for collusion it's the NHL. I seriously hope the players union has the balls to take Bettman down. And I am dead ****ing serious.

Last edited:

GuloGulo

Nov 16, 2005
trunkofacamaro
OK. Let's put words in each other's mouths! :shakehead

The commissioner loves to examine **** that runs counter to his perceived concept of what the CBA is all about. He really examined the Luongo deal and sabre rattled saying such deals weren't in the spirit of the CBA.

When the Devils originally signed Kovy to a deal the commish said 'hey, this is clearly a contract that doesn't fit what we are trying to do. I call shenanigans!' The irony of course was funny because Lou is a Bettman slappy. So the Devils needed to create a deal that fit the true nature of the CBA and didn't make a complete ****ing joke of Gary's beloved CBA.

So...is Gary Bettman a ****ing dumbass? Well obviously he is, but since you want to call me out let me ask you a question. How on God's green ****ing earth can anyone take Kovy's "retirement" seriously? Isn't it the biggest ****ing joke in the history of the NHL? Guys's a top 15ish player in the league and you do your boy Lou a solid by buying this crock of **** about a retirement?

If you are the commish and you believe strongly in your CBA - hey, you just lost nearly 50% of last season!! - well then how do you let this ******** stand? It's about 1000% times worse than the long-term contracts because the guy will be playing in the KHL this year. How the **** is that a ****ing retirement? No one can be that ****ing stupid, I mean really. Come on.

If Bettman was a true commissioner looking out for what was best for the game he'd tell Lou to go **** himself and buy Kovy out so another NHL team could sign him and you could keep a top 15ish player in the NHL.

Is anyone stupid enough to believe Kovy said he wanted to retire and expected his team to buy that ****? If any league deserves to get crucified for collusion it's the NHL. I seriously hope the players union has the balls to take Bettman down. And I am dead ****ing serious.

Retirement is an NHL technical thingie.. it doesn't mean he's gotta quit playing hockey altogether.

Buying out applies when a team whats to rid itself of a player who does not want to void his contract (or would like a chance on anther NHL team). Kovalchuk does not want this, he wants to be out of the NHL, period. There is no need for a buy out in his case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad