OT: Kovy retires? What?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
NHLDevilsPR ‏@NHLDevilsPR nyt
Kovalchuk: "The most difficult thing for me is to leave the New Jersey Devils, a great organization that I have a lot of respect for...

NHLDevilsPR ‏@NHLDevilsPR 30 s
Kovalchuk: "Though I decided to return this past season, Lou was aware of my desire to go back home and have my family there with me."

NHLDevilsPR ‏@NHLDevilsPR 53 s
Kovalchuk: "This decision was something I have thought about for a long time going back to the lockout and spending the year in Russia."

NHLDevilsPR ‏@NHLDevilsPR 4 min
BREAKING: Ilya Kovalchuk has announced his retirement. #NJDevils #NHL

https://twitter.com/NHLDevilsPR

Amyklas

Jul 3, 2013
just read this...big $ implications for the Devils, no?

Edit: $250K over next 12 years isn't terrible, all things considered

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
and now to add insult to injury the Devils are gonna have to give up next years draft pick because of that signing and don't even have him anymore

and the pick is much more likely to be very high with him gone

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
And the Russian factor strikes back. Holy ****. But what are the implications for the Devils? Doesn't this void the contract?

RedWingsNow*

Parise might still be a Devil had they never signed Kovy
Always struck me as a deal made by people over Lou's head

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Cap recapture, COME ON DOWN!!!!!!!!:laugh:

They are royal F'd, have no idea what the NHL's decision will be. By the way massive pressure from Hockey Canada and Hockey USA should be placed on them to suspend him from the home Olympics where he is likely to be Captain.

He cannot play in the KHL for a year after retirement and he shouldn't be able to play in the Olympics either. I know that sounds petty, but wow. Also this sets a bad precedence for the other teams and their Russians. They are going to need to fight this so guys like Malkin and Ovie cannot pull the plug like this.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
Devils are about on par with Calgary now. :laugh:

One of my favorite current players though. :(

Amyklas

Jul 3, 2013
And the Russian factor strikes back. Holy ****. But what are the implications for the Devils? Doesn't this void the contract?

They are royal F'd, have no idea what the NHL's decision will be. By the way massive pressure from Hockey Canada and Hockey USA should be placed on them to suspend him from the home Olympics where he is likely to be Captain.

He cannot play in the KHL for a year after retirement and he shouldn't be able to play in the Olympics either. I know that sounds petty, but wow. Also this sets a bad precedence for the other teams and their Russians. They are going to need to fight this so guys like Malkin and Ovie cannot pull the plug like this.

Devils lucked out (in a sense). They will have a recapture penalty of only $250K over 12 years. Kovy left before the big money years kicked in, severely dropping the recapture penalty.

RedWingsNow*

I don't understand your logic.

Why do you need to be in a professional league to play in the Olympics? Seems to smack the face of the Olympic values

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Can he come back in 2 years and play with Datsyuk or do the Devils retain his rights or what?

I doubt that he would ever be able to sign with another nhl team after this. Unless the devils bought him out of his contract. Going to be extremely interesting how this plays out going forward with regards to the olympics

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad