Kovalchuk: Would you accept him back? (Mod Note Post 293)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lous Special Sauce

Aug 16, 2013
I vote No

Even under the scenario of accepting back to trade him (or his rights), I do not think that would even be worth it... Id rather let him rot in the KHL!

apice3*

Looks like we're going to alternate between 17 coming back yes or no? and Brodeur or Schneider? threads each week until the season starts.

I get that the offseason is slow, but do the same questions seriously need to be re-hashed every single day?

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
No, I would not. There are some things you just can't ignore, and walking out on a team in the middle of a contract is one of them.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
He wasn't a fit when he was here in his prime. Why would he be a fit 4 years from now? and there's no way in hell hes coming back to North America on the cheap. That's not how he rolls.

B A T M A N

Quit on the team once, shame on him. Quit on the team twice, shame on us.

I'd rather listen to Robin do stand up comedy than to welcome him back.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
As I've said earlier, do you really want the saggy boob Kovalchuk in 5 years from now? Hopefully we have much better options in 5 years from now than a 35 year old player that hasn't played in this league with top competition in 5 years. If we really need him back in 5 years from now then we probably have a lot of problems.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
As I've said earlier, do you really want the saggy boob Kovalchuk in 5 years from now? Hopefully we have much better options in 5 years from now than a 35 year old player that hasn't played in this league with top competition in 5 years. If we really need him back in 5 years from now then we probably have a lot of problems.

:laugh: Damn straight Bleed, **** that guy!

MJB Devils23*

Absolutely. I don't think it's right that Devils fans have taken this so personally. I seriously doubt he intended to screw us over.

DevilChuk*

Absolutely. I don't think it's right that Devils fans have taken this so personally. I seriously doubt he intended to screw us over.

not sure why intention matters when the effect is the thing that will impact us.

Anyways, for me, it depends how exactly he comes back. Specifically, the reasons and why he phrases those reasons. If he wants to come back for more money or a shot at winning the cup, he can go elsewhere. If he realizes he did the Devils some sort of wrong, wants to make amends or has some other reason that includes acknowledging that he quit on us and somewhat regrets that decision.. I'm all for it.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

yea, i don't understand how more people don't see how the devils made out like bandits in this situation. a draft penalty they brought on them selves aside, he got out at the best time possible off of the worse contract possible, they also get absolutely none of the brunt from fans or media because it all gets put on Kovy.

in my eyes, devils and Kovy agreed they should part ways, in the MASSIVE interest of both of them. 5 years from now, if the devils and him agree its in their best interest to get back together, I am in.

Desert Devil

Legend
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
The only way I ever see myself accepting Kovy back is if he made a gigantic public apology to the Devils organization as well as accepting a discounted contract to help us win. Other than that, he can go screw himself.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ

Chances are that a 35 year old Kovalchuk will still be a top 25 forward in the world. Call him whatever dumb names you want, he would likely be a top 3 player on our team in five years

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
You have to ask yourself though, what will his game be like after 4 years in the KHL?

I know a lot of people were in awe over his supreme set of raw talents, but the honest truth is he wasn't a very good hockey player in all facets of the game.

I can only imagine what 4 years in the KHL will do to his overall game but suspect it won't be conducive to any progress he's made in New Jersey.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
You have to ask yourself though, what will his game be like after 4 years in the KHL?

I know a lot of people were in awe over his supreme set of raw talents, but the honest truth is he wasn't a very good hockey player in all facets of the game.

I can only imagine what 4 years in the KHL will do to his overall game but suspect it won't be conducive to any progress he's made in New Jersey.

Probably wont make him much, if any, worse than he would be if he played the next four seasons here. The KHL isn't that bad. Its not like he'll be playing men's league.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
I guarantee that in 5/6 years Kovalchuk will still be better than any Devils forward on this roster.

Just Win

Nov 3, 2008
Stuttgart
Hell no. **** that quitter.

You can't preach values like loyalty and then bring back a guy that just quit on his team like that.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Chances are that a 35 year old Kovalchuk will still be a top 25 forward in the world. Call him whatever dumb names you want, he would likely be a top 3 player on our team in five years

I disagree big time. I don't see him picking up where he left off after playing in that league for 5 years, and then coming back to the NHL.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Why not? What is he going to lose?

The competition is not that great over there. He'll have to readjust to the NHL pace. Have you ever watched a KHL game?

Kovalchuk will likely be the best player in the KHL for a while, but I don't see him being as good as he was if he returns. Not saying he won't be any good, but I don't think he'll be worth taking back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad