Kovalchuk: Would you accept him back? (Mod Note Post 293)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
Honest talk right now...

Let's say he wants to make an NHL comeback in 4 years like its been rumored. If he signed a deal for 3-4 million for a couple years, would you accept him back?

I'd be tough but I think I would. He's the type of player whose skill doesn't go away with age.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
no i'd rather trade him if he ever wanted back to the NHL.

And I'd prefer just not letting him back at all.

NC107*

NHL hockey is about winning and money. Loyalty is a rarity in business today.

If he would help the team win and wouldn't cost much for his talent at his then age. YES I would take him back. It's about winning.

Lets get honest folks, we don't know what went on behind the scenes. His contract was probably in the way of the purchase of the team so who knows what was said to Kovy by the Devils ownership and President/GM to facilitate the sale of the team. They could have help him bale out, found the loop hole, for all we know. It seems to have worked out for all parties concerned.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
if the retirement was arranged, yes

but we will never know

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
NHL hockey is about winning and money.

I agree with this statement...and Kovalchuk is overpaid loser. Not a good combination.

Always has been and always will.

Not to mention how horrible his game will be after 4 years of freewheeling, irresponsible, no structure hockey...his best avenue is to stay were he is and be treated like a big fish in a small pond.

NC107*

if the retirement was arranged, yes

but we will never know

You are Sooooooo right. We will never know!

He retires and sale consummates. How long was Vanderbeek looking for a financial partner? In two months in comes red riding hood with money. I am smelling fish.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
As much as I liked him and enjoyed watching... the "fit" was missing more than not. I don't know what clicked with him in the 2nd half off the season before last and into the playoffs but those were the only 60-70 games that he looked like he belonged. .

Last year was painful and showed how reliant we were on a guy who wasn't all that special ( anymore ) when we flat out collapsed during his injury.

The team will be better off ( under Lou and this culture ) without a polarizing player like Kovy.

As much as I liked him.. we're probably better off.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Quite easily

Laughing at people who don't understand that the team couldn't afford him. Just like it couldn't afford Rafalski, Niedermayer, and countless other UFAs that had to leave.

Jossipov

Patty's Better
Oct 7, 2010
Bronx, NY
Quite easily

Laughing at people who don't understand that the team couldn't afford him. Just like it couldn't afford Rafalski, Niedermayer, and countless other UFAs that had to leave.

I must have missed the part where he was a UFA......
We have to base things on what we know, not on what we can speculate about some kind of Lou contract circumention super conspiracy, is all.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Quite easily

Do you not know Niedermayer was offered a larger contract in New Jersey than he took in Anaheim?

NC107*

Forget about his performance before, during and after we couldn't afford him before the sale with financial problems and the future was not bright re: financials, like not making the payroll. He had to go because of finances. It became a win win situation.

Are we better today? YES

What's in the future, you tell me that and I have a lot of questions about my life for you.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Quite easily

Lou offered Neids a max contract.

Lou also tried to trade for Rob at the deadline the season prior. He knew it was coming. Burke wouldn't move him for the world knowing who he was going to get the following summer.

NJDevilsFan21

Trade Everyone!!
Nov 10, 2006
If he signed for something stupidly cheap, like 2-3M/year, then yes absolutely. In fact, if this actually happened, I'm pretty sure the Devils would become one of the most hated teams in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad