Kovalchuk: Would you accept him back? (Mod Note Post 293)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Parise never came close to what Kovy did, there is a reason this team went first to second round exists constantly in the playoffs where Parise never elevated his game in the playoffs while Kovalchuk elevated himself to another level without a back.

There's also a reason the team missed the playoffs the two years without Parise when Kovy was still here (the year ZP got hurt and the lockout season). I have no use for Parise either - mostly cause of his disingenous way of leaving - but you can't deny his importance, we still haven't made the playoffs without him in the last decade. Sure Kovalchuk had a better postseason than anything Parise did but you have to GET to the playoffs first.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Well due to the fact of another lockout Kovy got to play in the KHL for the first time so he didn't sign in the first place because he played in the NHL his whole life. It's also considering the fact that NJ did give him the contract that was most financially secure for his future.

After the lockout he was offered a lot more by the KHL because he was really popular in the country and it was noticed by the team. He felt comfortable playing there and it all contributed to his departure. Yes, if you were in Kovy's shoes you would do the same exact thing. It's funny how owners have the right to break up contracts by buying players out but if a player goes ahead and gets MUTUAL AGREEMENT with the ownership to leave the league he somehow is violating something. He didn't violate anything, the owners let him go and he had very good reason to good. You can only go against that because you have the bias of being a fan on a team and not being the individual involved. Family vs. a contract that was already tampered with by the owners after the lockout? I'll go with family like most loving people would.

And come on, I will give you an Elias season being better (although he did get to play with 2 top players that had great chemistry with him) but an no point did Parise even come close to Kovy's play. It's like the Patrick Kane vs. Johnathan Toews debate (however their levels of play are a lot more closer in terms of skill) wherein Kane is just more dominant on the ice than Toews. Yet, Toews is overrated and more people consider him better. Parise never came close to what Kovy did, there is a reason this team went first to second round exists constantly in the playoffs where Parise never elevated his game in the playoffs while Kovalchuk elevated himself to another level without a back.
Your aware Parise put up a 45 goal 94 points season in 08-09 followed by a 38 goal 82 point season in 09-10?

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
There's also a reason the team missed the playoffs the two years without Parise when Kovy was still here (the year ZP got hurt and the lockout season). I have no use for Parise either - mostly cause of his disingenous way of leaving - but you can't deny his importance, we still haven't made the playoffs without him in the last decade.

1st season- Maclean. After Maclean left the Devils had either the first or second best record in the league WITHOUT Parise. The Devils record was also terrible with Parise and Maclean.

2nd season- Devils went 0-10 with Kovalchuk injured. Marty also being out and terrible goaltending pretty much ruined that season. It was a huge fluke that they didn't make the playoffs that season.

The team needs a player like Kovalchuk but Parise is not that necessary. You can tell the vast difference this previous season and when Parise is gone.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Your aware Parise put up a 45 goal 94 points season in 08-09 followed by a 38 goal 82 point season in 09-10?

And you are aware that Kovalchuk led the team in points to the SCF without a back and outplayed a fully healthy Parise night in and night out?

And in the 2011-2012 season if you adjust it to PPG Kovy had about a 90 point season. I'll take his puck carrying skills and general dominance over a couple extra points.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
And come on, I will give you an Elias season being better (although he did get to play with 2 top players that had great chemistry with him) but an no point did Parise even come close to Kovy's play. It's like the Patrick Kane vs. Johnathan Toews debate (however their levels of play are a lot more closer in terms of skill) wherein Kane is just more dominant on the ice than Toews. Yet, Toews is overrated and more people consider him better. Parise never came close to what Kovy did, there is a reason this team went first to second round exists constantly in the playoffs where Parise never elevated his game in the playoffs while Kovalchuk elevated himself to another level without a back.

Ha what? Parise's play never came close to Kovy's play? When Kovalchuk was with the Devils he put up a lot of points but he coasted a lot of the time. When Parise played he never coasted, it doesn't matter whether he was putting up 30 points or 94 points. Parise's 08-09 season is better than anything Kovalchuk ever did in his entire career.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It took BOTH Parise and Kovalchuk for us to have a deep playoff run. I don't know why Parise's contributions get thrown out the window by some.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Ha what? Parise's play never came close to Kovy's play? When Kovalchuk was with the Devils he put up a lot of points but he coasted a lot of the time. When Parise played he never coasted, it doesn't matter whether he was putting up 30 points or 94 points. Parise's 08-09 season is better than anything Kovalchuk ever did in his entire career.

Kovalchuk coasting fable are laughable. Kovy dominated the game, period. Besides Kovy's rookie season and first season here (due to Maclean) there is nothing that Parise has come close to even at his best.

Parise is not on Kovalchuk's level. I think I've seen polls here comparing the two and 95% of people pick Kovy for obvious reason.

Parise's best season was with 2 players that he absolutely meshed with. In Atlanta and NJ Kovy was thrown with anyone and produced. Remember when Kovy was put on a line with Tedenby and Josefson and produced with them? He played with AHL'ers his whole career and had 50 goal seasons.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
when did Kovalchuk play with Tedenby and josefson? lol

and he did not produce in his final season. 5 even strength goals.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
although I will say, Parise was a playoff choker here. He did absolutely nothing.

Kovalchuk helped carry the team in 2012 along with CBGB.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Kovalchuk coasting fable are laughable. Kovy dominated the game, period. Besides Kovy's rookie season and first season here (due to Maclean) there is nothing that Parise has come close to even at his best.

Parise is not on Kovalchuk's level. I think I've seen polls here comparing the two and 95% of people pick Kovy for obvious reason.

Parise's best season was with 2 players that he absolutely meshed with. In Atlanta and NJ Kovy was thrown with anyone and produced. Remember when Kovy was put on a line with Tedenby and Josefson and produced with them? He played with AHL'ers his whole career and had 50 goal seasons.

Remember when Kovy was put on a line with Ponikarovsky in the 2013 season and produced?

Yeah me neither, cause it didn't happen. :laugh:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Kovy played with Palmeri (and Zajac), that's essentially the same thing :sarcasm:

Or the ONE memorable shift in the playoffs where he had an impact with Gio/Carter.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
when did Kovalchuk play with Tedenby and josefson? lol

and he did not produce in his final season. 5 even strength goals.

Apparently assists don't count anymore. Kovalchuk turned into a pass first player on NJD too.

Besides that, he always had slower starts and picked up pace. It's typically used against Russians to take obscure stats and use it. For example, Ovechkin's goals don't count because he is superior to everyone in the league on the Powerplay and his +/- was bad even though he led the league in +/- among forwards 4 years ago.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
[/B]

31 pts in 37 games, yeah he didnt produce LMAO !!!! oh wow only 5 even strength goals...who cares !

what do you mean, who cares?

we were an anemic even strength team and thats why we missed the playoffs essentially. that and the coach deciding to play old man Hedberg when it was clear he was shot.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site

It's not laughable and you are in denial if you think so. How else could a player play 24-25 minutes a game? I realize a lot of that was power play time but there were more than a few times I saw Kovalchuk give up on plays. Parise would never do that. BTW, Atlanta had a few teams that were arguably more talented than any team Parise played on. Off the top of my head he played with Hossa, Savard, Kozlov and Heatley just to name a few. I wish there was a stronger word for exaggeration because if there was that would describe that your post.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
It's not laughable and you are in denial if you think so. How else could a player play 24-25 minutes a game? I realize a lot of that was power play time but there were more than a few times I saw Kovalchuk give up on plays. Parise would never do that. BTW, Atlanta had a few teams that were arguably more talented than any team Parise played on. Off the top of my head he played with Hossa, Savard, Kozlov and Heatley just to name a few. I wish there was a stronger word for exaggeration because if there was that would describe that your post.

A couple star players don't make a team. You need the full package of defense and offensive chemistry to produce and Kovy never had that here or in Atlanta besides in 2011-2012 and you saw the results.

Kovalchuk produced with Palmieri and Zajac on a nightly basis. Give me one winger in the league that could do that while also having a heavily defensive coach. All those 2-1 and 1-0 games were just dependent on Kovy scoring.

ajdevjet

we got 3
Aug 20, 2013
In your face !
what do you mean, who cares?

we were an anemic even strength team and thats why we missed the playoffs essentially. that and the coach deciding to play old man Hedberg when it was clear he was shot.[/QUO

false...we missed the playoffs because kovy and marty missed like a combined 25 games in a 50 game season.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
although I will say, Parise was a playoff choker here. He did absolutely nothing.

Kovalchuk helped carry the team in 2012 along with CBGB.

Well, most of the team choked in the playoffs during Parise's tenure with the Devils. And I think the "Kovy carried the team" in 2012 is a bit of a narrative that's been created. Yes he was a key part of that team, but so were a lot of players. The thing I loved about that team was how it wasn't just one guy. Kovy was a threat, Henrique scored clutch goals, the fourth line was great, Marty channeled his younger days. The chemistry that team had was just incredible.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Everyone forgets this: Elias did absolutely nothing in the 2012 run, nothing at all.

He may get a pass for his past but the next time this team ends up in the playoffs they cannot depend upon him because he's simply too old against players playing at the top of their games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad