Friedman: Kovalchuk wants NHL return

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I'll probably get flamed for this, but the way EDM and FLA are talking about Eberle and Bjugstad, maybe there's the potential for the 3-way trade that never happens with some base of:

To EDM: Bjugstad
To FLA: Kovalchuk
To NJ: Eberle

It might just be the vocal minority that wants to get Eberle and Bjugstad off their respective teams though. Then again, EDM/FLA will probably be better off cutting off the middle-man in NJ in this scenario.

Last edited:

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
And there's probably no shot the Devils trade him to Rangers or Islanders.

Florida or Tampa it is.

Why not? The Devils were one of the worst teams in the league and I don't see them being much better next year. Get the best assets you can and keep rebuilding.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
And there's probably no shot the Devils trade him to Rangers or Islanders.

Florida or Tampa it is.

That's not how it works, Kovalchuk will be signed by the Devils to a team of his choice. If he doesn't want to play for the Devils but Rangers, Islanders or Panthers which is closer to his homes then he's going to be dealt to one of those teams if he leans more towards the Rangers then that's where he will be dealt.

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
That's not how it works, Kovalchuk will be signed by the Devils to a team of his choice. If he doesn't want to play for the Devils but Rangers, Islanders or Panthers which is closer to his homes then he's going to be dealt to one of those teams if he leans more towards the Rangers then that's where he will be dealt.

You couldn't be more wrong and you just lost all credibility in future Devils discussions. The Devils are not going to cater to Kovy's needs here and they most certainly are not trading him to the Rangers. Give me one Rangers Devils trade, (Hint- there is none) and Kovy will not be the first. If Kovalchuk wants to play for the Rangers it will be after he sits out the upcoming season.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I think Friedman said that Kovalchuk will probably garner a 2nd round pick at best. Teams aren't giving up much for a 34 year old forward and rumor has it that he will only accept trades to the Rangers, Islanders and Panthers if true then that lessens the value that Shero will receive.

Friedman hasn't speculated on what the return could be for Kovalchuk and typically doesn't do that, so the "2nd round pick at best" return you're coming up with is not tied to Friedman.

Kovalchuk doesn't dictate where he goes, though he can make it tough on the Devils. Devils can make things equally as tough on Kovalchuk, as the only way he returns to the NHL this year is with NJ being on board. Both sides have some leverage.

But Kovalchuk can't force a trade the Rangers. Sure, he can say "I will only accept a trade to the Rangers" but if the Devils don't like the return from NY and don't want to strengthen the roster of a divisional opponent and biggest rival (who they have never traded with over a 35-year span) for a dismal return, they tell Kovalchuk to go pound sand and he has to wait a year to return to the NHL.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia

You really think Shero will deal Kovy to the Rangers because Kovalchuck might want to go there?

Yikes.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
The evolution of the "3 teams only" rumor is pretty ****ing hysterical. It came about from pure speculation that he would want to play in NYC or Florida because he owns homes in both places. Somehow, that's now become a legitimate rumor that he wants to play for the Rangers :laugh:

Or.. the Devils just say no and don't sign him at all? Kovalchuk can say he wants to play for whoever he wants but it's still ultimately up to the Devils to set it up for him.

They're not going to trade him to the Rangers for anything but an absurd overpayment.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Screw Kovalchuk wanting to dictate where he plays. I say Las Vegas (if they want him) or KHL...take your pick.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
if he leans more towards the Rangers then that's where he will be dealt.

We have never traded with the Rangers outside of some random irrelevant move 30 years ago or something. We literally share a market with them. Its just not going to happen, not with a player of Kovalchuk's caliber. The Devils have no reason to give in to Kovalchuk's whims. If his heart was that set on the Rangers, it makes more sense for the Devils to let him sit another year, the Rangers can overpay him at age 35 rather than take some chump change offer from the Rangers for him. The whole reason he wants back now is because of the over 35 contract rules. He wants to sign it at 34. The Devils have the leverage here. He's not getting the contract he'd get at 34 after another year of depreciation.

I think the chance of Kovalchuk playing hardball for a specific team is basically 0. Sure, there may be a couple of teams that are surefire hell no's, but he's got no leverage to pick his spot if the contract is important to him. Let him sit another year if he wants that much control.

Last edited:

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Any team that has a window to win now (except Rags) who gets knocked out will have interest in kovy.
Minny is there but tight to the cap.
Ducks & Caps if they get bounced
Maybe Sharks & Bolts but to a lesser extent imo

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Screw Kovalchuk wanting to dictate where he plays. I say Las Vegas (if they want him) or KHL...take your pick.

That would be bad decision by Jersey. There aren't many teams in worse shape than them and they could use assets from Kovy trade.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Friedman hasn't speculated on what the return could be for Kovalchuk and typically doesn't do that, so the "2nd round pick at best" return you're coming upf with is not tied to Friedman.

Kovalchuk doesn't dictate where he goes, though he can make it tough on the Devils. Devils can make things equally as tough on Kovalchuk, as the only way he returns to the NHL this year is with NJ being on board. Both sides have some leverage.

But Kovalchuk can't force a trade the Rangers. Sure, he can say "I will only accept a trade to the Rangers" but if the Devils don't like the return from NY and don't want to strengthen the roster of a divisional opponent and biggest rival (who they have never traded with over a 35-year span) for a dismal return, they tell Kovalchuk to go pound sand and he has to wait a year to return to the NHL.
The Flyers should just veto any return. F Kovy. F the Devils. F the Rangers. He walked out on a valid contract and NJ got out of the cap hit. He "retired" remember. Buh bye, enjoy your retirement.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
The Flyers should just veto any return. F Kovy. F the Devils. F the Rangers. He walked out on a valid contract and NJ got out of the cap hit. He "retired" remember. Buh bye, enjoy your retirement.

The Flyers can't veto "any" return. The only power the Flyers have is if he signs with a team other than NJ, but I don't think they would be the only ones voting no to that.

The only way Kovy is returning is this year is via the Devils. He can sign with the Devils with no roadblock. The Devils can trade him after he's signed with no roadblock. If he signed with say Florida, 30 teams would have to approve it.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007

Real difficult to actually read about a situation before commenting on it, eh?

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007

Cool, will be nice for the Flyers to ensure that NJ gets an asset out of Kovalchuk.

It's unnecessary though, NJ will veto any return that doesn't involve signing with them first. Thanks for the generous offer though.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

They can't veto a return, As long as it's a sign and trade between the Devils and say the Florida Panthers the league would accept it. It's only if he came into the NHL and then decided to sign say with Detroit then he would need league approval.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
That would be bad decision by Jersey. There aren't many teams in worse shape than them and they could use assets from Kovy trade.

Kovy won't be very stoked in joining the NHL with a 35+ contract in 2018 when he could've got a multiyear deal by playing ball

LeafGm

Jan 10, 2009
We have never traded with the Rangers outside of some random irrelevant move 30 years ago or something. We literally share a market with them. Its just not going to happen, not with a player of Kovalchuk's caliber. The Devils have no reason to give in to Kovalchuk's whims. If his heart was that set on the Rangers, it makes more sense for the Devils to let him sit another year, the Rangers can overpay him at age 35 rather than take some chump change offer from the Rangers for him. The whole reason he wants back now is because of the over 35 contract rules. He wants to sign it at 34. The Devils have the leverage here. He's not getting the contract he'd get at 34 after another year of depreciation.

I think the chance of Kovalchuk playing hardball for a specific team is basically 0. Sure, there may be a couple of teams that are surefire hell no's, but he's got no leverage to pick his spot if the contract is important to him. Let him sit another year if he wants that much control.
I dunno. If Kovalchuk does come back to the NHL, I do think he will pretty much pick his destination. Because he really does have leverage here. If the Devils won't facilitate a move to the team he wants to go to, then he stays home making a pile of money in the KHL for another year, gets to go to the Olympics, and then he's free and clear next summer, with the Devils getting absolutely nothing for him.

At the same time, if he does want to go to an in-market/division rival like the New York Rangers, I could see Shero and the Devils deciding that they'd rather lose out on the asset they'd get for him and tell Kovy to take a flying leap, rather than help make that happen.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
I dunno. If Kovalchuk does come back to the NHL, I do think he will pretty much pick his destination. Because he really does have leverage here. If the Devils won't facilitate a move to the team he wants to go to, then he stays home making a pile of money in the KHL for another year, gets to go to the Olympics, and then he's free and clear next summer, with the Devils getting absolutely nothing for him.

At the same time, if he does want to go to an in-market/division rival like the New York Rangers, I could see Shero and the Devils deciding that they'd rather lose out on the asset they'd get for him and tell Kovy to take a flying leap, rather than help make that happen.

You're completely disregarding the primary motivation here.

Kovalchuk wants to return to the NHL. This isn't the Devils trying to get something for him. This isn't the two sides trying to agree to something so both can be happy.

If he decides he wants to come back to the NHL, then saying he'll just stay home in the KHL another year if he doesn't get exactly what he wants is pretty ****ing stupid.. since he wants to return to the NHL. I don't think I have to point out that having to return to the KHL for a year isn't fulfilling his goal of wanting to return to the NHL.

I don't think that means the Devils can deal him wherever they want.. but I cannot imagine Kovalchuk and his agents are that stupid to specifically target a team and try to force the Devils into making a deal. Kovalchuk was a non-asset a month ago and if the Devils are being forced into taking a ****** deal, they aren't really going to be losing much (remember the deal is ******.. if it wasn't, they'd take it).

The Devils aren't going to deal him to the Rangers or another division rival unless the price is absurd. I highly doubt they will take a mid/late round pick for him just to get something out of it.. that's not really getting much out of it. I'm sure they will work with Kovalchuk to find a happy medium but end of the day, if Kovalchuk wants to truly return to the NHL.. it will be difficult for him to specifically target one team.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Kovalchuk wants a return but that goes through Jersey! Not sure if the Devils want him on their team at this point? However, the Devils will be doing a sign and trade. I just wonder what the value he has in the trade market at age of 34 and hasn't played in the NHL in 4 seasons. Several teams will be interested but some team back away when the trade price gets too high.

Risks vs Rewards. It should be interesting to see how this develops but NJ holds the key to the NHL door return for Kovalchuk!

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

This is pretty much where I think it goes. But it is a limited group of a teams in a NTC (maybe not in stone but an agreement)

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Kovalchuk's (likely) options:

-come back this year on* a multiyear contract worth around 6 mil per AAV

-come back next year on a one-year 6 mil contract.

Devils options:

-trade Kovalchuk - signed to a contract that can be bought out/bargained - for what he's worth

-keep Kovalchuk - possibly trade him at the deadline for a better haul if he proves he can play

-let Kovalchuk weigh the pros and cons of entering the NHL as a 35+ player and get nothing for him if he decides to stay in Russia

Devils have more play in this negotiation than people give them credit for.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad