Friedman: Kovalchuk wants NHL return

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Not that I don't think he'd want to go to a contender but the Devils control where he goes. He can only sign with NJ this season. Granted, I do think a sign and trade is what happens but it only happens with the Devils getting a deal they like from the other team. Kovalchuk can ask all he wants but he's not coming back this season without the Devils getting something in return. Kind of fitting given how he left.

As it should be. I can't stand when players pull stuff like he did. And no, I don't really care what his various reasons were.

Last edited:

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Yeah I would definitely be interested in a Eberle/Kovalchuk swap. Just would rather see whats out there first. Devils really need a top 4 LHD. Hopefully Fowler/Brodin.

Fowler isn't happening. Even if he's moved, there's virtually no way that Bob Murray moves on a Russian player, let alone one in his mid-thirties who hasn't played in the NHL in the past few years.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
McKenzie stated that his rights can't be traded. The only way Kovy realistically plays for a team other than the Devils in 17-18 is if we sign him and trade him on or after July 1. There's no way 30 teams approve him playing elsewhere this year.

*shrug* I'm sure Yzerman is in the market for a defenseman anyway and it's not like NYC isn't close to the NJD. Maybe he'll stick around anyway. It's not like the Devils don't stand a significant chance to improve this off-season. Patrick, Kovalchuk and possibly Shattenkirk is a hell of a trio.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Would you be cool with Strome + a 2nd considering he would be going into the same division? If so, call the GMs and fax the papers.

You have to take Grabovski too... he can play the part of Marc Savard on LTR for next year.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
petrovic or pysyk? i know theyre not LD, but both are solid bottom-4 additions. pysyk has played ld a lot this season since we were running 4 right handed d.

can either get something for him or nothing. no reason to say no to it, right? id rather just a pick and maybe hawryluk, but if it took one of the d too or one of them alone then I'm willing.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Leave him

He for some reason thinks Kovalchuk will garner a significant return

I think Friedman said that Kovalchuk will probably garner a 2nd round pick at best. Teams aren't giving up much for a 34 year old forward and rumor has it that he will only accept trades to the Rangers, Islanders and Panthers if true then that lessens the value that Shero will receive.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
petrovic or pysyk? i know theyre not LD, but both are solid bottom-4 additions. pysyk has played ld a lot this season since we were running 4 right handed d.

can either get something for him or nothing. no reason to say no to it, right? id rather just a pick and maybe hawryluk, but if it took one of the d too or one of them alone then I'm willing.

I'm fine with using this as a baseline, but its too early to tell because so many things have yet to happen (Expansion draft, entry draft). If he doesn't want to be here then I'm content getting most anything of merit back for him. At the same time, him sitting out another year doesn't necessarily bother me since this is basically house money. That'd be his choice. We're not living and dying by Kovalchuk. I also don't think for a second he won't expand his preferred destinations if the ones he is rumored to be leaning toward aren't interested, most of whom (Islanders and the Florida teams) would have to send cap back or Devils retaining to make it work since he's not signing on the cheap. I excluded the Rangers and Philly because there's no chance we deal him to NYR and I doubt they'd necessarily want to move for him and I imagine Philly is not preferred. Any salary retention or cap dump would impact the return the Devils receive positively. His salary will be minimum Radulov level.

It's just too early at this point to say anything absolutely. I don't think we get some of the silly high proposal stuff, but I think its gonna be more than a draft pick or a reclamation project. A relatively strong prospect or young NHL'er with upside + a pick seems a good baseline. An RFA due a raise that a team can't afford could be a possibility too.

I also don't think its a stretch that he signs in NJ with a promise to be shopped and he's moved at the deadline or plays here a year and walks next July. There's just way too many variables 2 months away from anything actually happening.

Last edited:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Detroit ?

I don't see why Kovy would want to sign anywhere but cup contender teams

Well the rumored teams that Kovy would accept a trade to are the Rangers Islanders and Panthers hardly consider any of them cup contending teams. Maybe the Rangers are the closest and their window is probably shutting here shortly.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Well the rumored teams that Kovy would accept a trade to are the Rangers Islanders and Panthers hardly consider any of them cup contending teams. Maybe the Rangers are the closest and their window is probably shutting here shortly.

And there's probably no shot the Devils trade him to Rangers or Islanders.

Florida or Tampa it is.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ

There's virtually no chance the Devils trade him to the Rangers, if they were even interested and could make it work.

Panthers and Islanders seem the most likely today, but who knows how he feels in 2 months and decisions have to be made. We could easily see his list expand to include other destinations. I absolutely could see Tampa consider him and him consider them depending on how they handle roster moves going forward as well as Washington or even Boston since they're only a few hours away. Kovalchuk may want A, but A may not want him.

And there's probably no shot the Devils trade him to Rangers or Islanders.

Florida or Tampa it is.

I can easily see the Islanders. That's not a stretch. Obviously the Rangers are nigh on impossible.

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island

With a guy like Kovy and 1 or 2 other assets, the Isles aren't far off

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
I believe the NYC or Florida has to do with Kovalchuk owning the house in Alpine and a house down in Florida.

Yea of course, its a logical assumption. Same time, Washington and Boston are a quick ride on the Acela away. My bet is his list expands or he ends up in Miami.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Yea of course, its a logical assumption. Same time, Washington and Boston are a quick ride on the Acela away. My bet is his list expands or he ends up in Miami.

The guys on the Florida board pulled up some tax records of him owning a house some 45 minutes to 1hr away from where the Panthers play and practice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad