Value of: Kovalchuk to the Islanders

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
It actually makes more sense than Kovalchuk signing with the Rangers. Islanders have the supporting pieces, especially if Tavares stays. He doesn't have to be the best player on the team, or the player with the highest profile (although media will make him out to be at first), he just has to score and be a deadly weapon for them.

I still think anything more than 2 (possibly 3) years is a mistake for any team signing him.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
If the Isles get Kovalchuk, then I think it's likely that Lee or Eberle (maybe even both) to upgrade the defense and maybe the goaltending. It'll likely be acquiring futures and the parlaying them into the desired d-man or goalie.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
After that whole debacle in New Jersey do you think Lou would work with Kovalchuk again?
OP.......you do realize that IK completely ****ed over the NJD's and Louie Lams right?? Why the hell do you think he would sign with the islanders.....or more so, why the hell would the islanders ( and Lou ) even consider talking with IK ????

Moreso just speculation, but there was a lot going on in NJ at the time. There is likely far more to that story than we will ever know and all factors included, it made a lot of sense for both the Devils and Kovalchuk to move on at that time. In short:

Devils had financial issues, were being supplemented by the NHL for a bit, were selling the team, and had a guy making 10 million a year on a contract worth 2/3 of what the team was. Add to that the feeling was signing Kovalchuk was largely the previous owner's doing

Kovalchuk left after the lockout season when he spent the first half in the KHL. He was one of the last players to come over so I personally think something happened there whether it was him being homesick or enjoying the experience.

On top of that, Devils cutting ties when they did had a very small cap recapture penalty (something less than 300,000) and it would've jumped up much higher if he stayed a year or two. Also the Devils future was very bleak especially after Parise had just left.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I’m one of the biggest Kovy fans but at 35 how much game does he have left? If he comes at a decent price and terms I’m all for it but with Ladd and Boychuck signed long term another bad contract could sink us.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I'm a huge Kovalchuk fan so I'm biased but I want him. He has a high compete level and that would go a long way for this team to keep adding guys of that nature. Without speculating other moving parts..

Lee-Tavares-Bailey
Kovalchuk-Barzal-Eberle
Nelson-Beauviller-Ho-Sang
Ladd-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

Isles have plenty of flexible cap space, if Lou and crew can be smart this could be a quick turn around here. I also expect Nelson to not be in the short term plans so I think he gets moved and that saves money as well.

NHL

Sep 1, 2014
I'm a huge Kovalchuk fan so I'm biased but I want him. He has a high compete level and that would go a long way for this team to keep adding guys of that nature. Without speculating other moving parts..

Lee-Tavares-Bailey
Kovalchuk-Barzal-Eberle

Ladd-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

Isles have plenty of flexible cap space, if Lou and crew can be smart this could be a quick turn around here. I also expect Nelson to not be in the short term plans so I think he gets moved and that saves money as well.

Pretty nice top 6 IMO

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON

Lee-Tavares-Bailey
Kovalchuk-Barzal-Eberle
Ladd-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

That would be a real solid forward group, now to just figure out their D and G problems.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
That would be a real solid forward group, now to just figure out their D and G problems.

If Kovalchuk does sign with the Isles, I would think that one of the impending UFA top-6'ers Lee and Eberle could be dealt to try and improve the defense and goalie. I'm not saying that either would return what's needed in any 0ne for one deal, but converting them into futures along with what's already in hand (the 2 1sts, the 2 2nds, and some prospects)… there's enough to swing a deal.

Snow kind of did that with Hamonic, but he didn't follow through to the next step to parlay those draft picks into anything to help the NHL squad. I don't think Lou would sit on his ass hoping that some kids (Pelech, Mayfield, Devon Toews, the better Sebastian Aho, etc.) would improve the team in the same manner.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
IF they could keep JT and sign Kovalchuk that would be a terrifying forward group. Then if they want to go more all in now while Kovalchuk is around:
Tanev + 37OV for 11 OV
Grubauer + Wash 1st for 12OV
(swap 11OV and 12OV in the deals as needed)

Could also then package Nelson/Lee/ Eberle with some of their 2nds to get back into the 1st round.

Last edited:

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Lee is going to be traded if Kovy gets signed...actually, I think he gets traded anyway.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Lee is going to be traded if Kovy gets signed...actually, I think he gets traded anyway.

That's the way I'm leaning.... you don't sign Kovy to improve the offense. You do it to free up an asset to trade for defense. Maybe you don't get that D for Lee strait up, but you can certainly get some nice pieces to add to a package.

Reactions: PWJunior

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad