Value of: Kovalchuk teaming with Svechnikov

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
This would be a gamble for the Canes, but if they could get Kovalchuk's to play up to his potential and put out the work effort that Brind'Amore Requires then IMO the Kovalchuk/Svechnikov pairing could give the Canes another Tevo/Aho pairing. If Kovalchuk doesn't pan out, the Canes waive him without a significant cost to the team.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
. If Kovalchuk doesn't pan out, the Canes waive him without a significant cost to the team.
Except his salary and cap hit, of course.

Unless you realistically expect someone to pick him up?

Not sure he would agree to a deal without a NMC anyway, knowing he won't play in the AHL.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018

Not sure he would agree to a deal without a NMC anyway, knowing he won't play in the AHL.
If he clears waivers then he can sign for minimum right?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

I doubt anyone is giving him an NMC at this point, so that's moot if he wants to play. He can always refuse the assignment and terminate his contract again.

If he signs a 1 year deal for 1.075 mil or less, his cap hit won't count in the AHL regardless (yes, I know he's over 35, but the 35+ rule doesn't apply to 1 year deals).

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
he can sign for the minimum. or don't you understand that. is he worth a $750,000.00 gamble?

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
leaves no room for Williams return
Why wouldn't it. If Williams return his salary would be based on bonuses and won't pay out until after the season when the Canes get all kinds of money back.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
This would be a gamble for the Canes, but if they could get Kovalchuk's to play up to his potential and put out the work effort that Brind'Amore Requires then IMO the Kovalchuk/Svechnikov pairing could give the Canes another Tevo/Aho pairing. If Kovalchuk doesn't pan out, the Canes waive him without a significant cost to the team.

I think the playing hockey at this point is a lifestyle for him. He wants to play where he wants to live.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
No

No

God no

No

Kovy's best days are long behind him. He wouldn't be able to keep up with the pace we want to play. Hell, we already have a problem with Jordan Staal keeping up and Williams is taking half the season off just so he might have the energy for the stretch run. Kovy.... would not help that at all.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
If Justin Williams doesn't return, kovy is probably worth a honest conversation with him. Don't think the playing style of Carolina is a match for him. But for league minimum the rest of the season the guy can play an offensive role with success. If you want or expect defense your dumb then.
He'll be worth a look for someone. If it doesn't work out agree to mutual termination and send him back to the khl.

Reactions: mikeyfan

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I would not be surprised if nobody takes a chance on him at this point. He is not the player he once was.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Kovalchuk, by all reports, has been a great team guy and would be great showing youth about fitness and good off ice habits. Just don't rely on him for on-ice habits.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
kovalchuk as some kind of mentor playing on the same line with svechnikov? why do you hate svechnikov so much?
I believe in Brind'Amore enough to think if Kovakchuk starts messing things up Rod will show him the door? Why don't you believe in Rod?

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I’d be shocked if Kovalchuk would choose to willingly come to Raleigh.
I would think Carolina would be a favorite for Kovalchuk due to his past relationship with Don Waddell.

He knows Kovy's game and obviously knows his flaws. He didn't play a lick of defense in Atlanta but they didn't care.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad