News Article: Kovacs Under Investigation For Reckless Driving

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
He's a repeat offender, he hasn't learned squat, and now someone is dead because of it. He's even tried to blame it on the woman in the car they crashed into.

I'm sorry, but that's horsecrap, I nearly got into a huge accident once because someone was doing 250 behind me on a 100 road in Sweden, it's hard to tell when someone is coming that fast from behind, this isn't the autobahn where you have to expect that kind of thing. This country is full of these speedtards as they're called in Sweden, I hope they throw the book at him and the NHL steps in, we don't need another Heatley.

in SWEDEN! This happened in SWEDEN!

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
As a father of an 8 year old who crosses the street (15mph play zone) several times a day to play with his buddies I have a special disdain for people who decide to drink and drive or race their cars in places where you can easily kill an innocent bystander.

We have some *******s in this town who think 15mph is only a gentle "suggestion" and race their trucks through this play area with squealing tires. Local PD thankfully is now setting up some traps after they realized this is an ongoing problem.

In Queens they put down speed bumps on all the side streets mid block. Of course that means everyone floors it even faster to the bump, brakes hard, and floors it to the next intersection lol

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
You're lucky you didn't get caught, on the Autobahn it's a serious offense to drive in the left lane if you're not passing

I was driving in the 2nd right lane out of 5. I was transitioning from left to right to turn onto a different highway and this truck just passed me haha. It was so weird.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Without getting into a debate about appropriate punishment, as a fan I'm glad that it's over and he can hopefully move on. He really needs to show something this year.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
he went 90mph in a 55mph, it seems...

Assuming the laws are easier in that side of the world, the fine is appropriate

The BAC limit there is .02! So, very strict. Any like many European countries you get a fine based on a percentage of your income, so it can get very steep. There was that one rich guy that picked up a ticket that was like 750k or something.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
The BAC limit there is .02! So, very strict. Any like many European countries you get a fine based on a percentage of your income, so it can get very steep. There was that one rich guy that picked up a ticket that was like 750k or something.

Finland, Home of the $103,000 Speeding Ticket
Most of Scandinavia determines fines based on income. Could such a system work in the U.S.?

Finland’s system for calculating fines is relatively simple: It starts with an estimate of the amount of spending money a Finn has for one day, and then divides that by two—the resulting number is considered a reasonable amount of spending money to deprive the offender of. Then, based on the severity of the crime, the system has rules for how many days the offender must go without that money. Going about 15 mph over the speed limit gets you a multiplier of 12 days, and going 25 mph over carries a 22-day multiplier.

https://www.theatlantic.com/busines...nd-home-of-the-103000-speeding-ticket/387484/

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Finland, Home of the $103,000 Speeding Ticket
Most of Scandinavia determines fines based on income. Could such a system work in the U.S.?

Finland’s system for calculating fines is relatively simple: It starts with an estimate of the amount of spending money a Finn has for one day, and then divides that by twoâ€â€the resulting number is considered a reasonable amount of spending money to deprive the offender of. Then, based on the severity of the crime, the system has rules for how many days the offender must go without that money. Going about 15 mph over the speed limit gets you a multiplier of 12 days, and going 25 mph over carries a 22-day multiplier.

https://www.theatlantic.com/busines...nd-home-of-the-103000-speeding-ticket/387484/

The purist in me is annoyed by the fact that they talk about Scandinavia as if Finland is part of it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad