News Article: Kovacs Under Investigation For Reckless Driving

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
That's . . . not really true. Many jurisdictions in the US have legitimate jail time for these offenses.

Reckless driving in NJ has up to 30 days in jail. I've never seen it applied, although I know people who have been caught racing.

The crash may complicate matters, but generally racing (again, at least in NJ) results in fines, court costs, and a suspension. But I also typed that before it came out that he is a repeat offender - that changes things.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
So he was racing against a friend, the friends car crashed, and his friend died.

Terrible situation, but if this happened in the US he'd likely just get fined. Not sure what Swedish laws would apply in this situation, though. I see the article mentioned manslaughter - which to me is ridiculous as the other driver chose to race, you can't blame him death on Kovacs unless he ran his friend off the road or something. They were both being dumb and an unfortunate accident happened.

In the US people have gone to jail for this even without somebody dying. You can not put innocent peoples lives in danger like this on public roads. Really disappointed in this kids judgment.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Reckless driving in NJ has up to 30 days in jail. I've never seen it applied, although I know people who have been caught racing.

The crash may complicate matters, but generally racing (again, at least in NJ) results in fines, court costs, and a suspension. But I also typed that before it came out that he is a repeat offender - that changes things.

That's JUST for the racing aspect. The death, crash, injuries, etc. are what causes the jail time. One of the ways they get to the major stuff is with assault by auto. There are a few ways to skin that cat.

Assault by auto in NJ, resulting in death, can lead to murder, manslaughter, or death by auto charges.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
I feel confident he will, in Sweden we don't have the celebrity culture you have in the states.

While we might not have the same "get out of jail" free card for celebs in Sweden they tend to get away with a slap on the wrist most of the time.

Anyway, moronic behaviour playing with the lifes of others. You want to race? Book a day on the race track.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

We also have a violation here called "Racing on Highway" which is a 5 point offense... Again, hard to actually classify what is happening as "racing" in this case, but the law is there.

http://www.njticketattorneys.com/racing-on-a-highway-njsa-394-52/

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
According to the police, Kovacs is not being charged with anything at the moment.

Ranger player or not he should be charged with something. I'm not an expert but I do have some ideas. Even if it is just some minor charge, because at the very least his negligence contributed to this tragedy.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Ranger player or not he should be charged with something. I'm not an expert but I do have some ideas. Even if it is just some minor charge, because at the very least his negligence contributed to this tragedy.

I could be wrong here but i don't think you get charged for traffic violations, hence the wording.

I don't have a drivers license though so as i said, could very well be wrong :D

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
Rangers should think twice about keeping him, but I fear nothing will come out of it.

His parents and his buddy's parents must raise theire fingers at him whilst raising theire voice..

His nhl career could be over before it's really begun..

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I could be wrong here but i don't think you get charged for traffic violations, hence the wording.

I don't have a drivers license though so as i said, could very well be wrong :D

A violation is a charge (violation-misdemeanor-felony).

There are all sorts of possible criminal charges from various driving incidents. Former Ranger Craig Mctavish did jail time for vehicular homicide.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden

There are all sorts of possible criminal charges from various driving incidents. Former Ranger Craig Mctavish did jail time for vehicular homicide.

Well yeah, but if he isn't charged with "vållande till annans död", think that's manslaughter in English, could be wrong and too lazy too look it up.
But if he's not charged for that, then it's a pure traffic violation, which means he's not charged at all and will get fines and his license taken away for X months/years.

I think that's how it works here in Sweden, correct me if i'm wrong.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Well yeah, but if he isn't charged with "v�llande till annans d�d", think that's manslaughter in English, could be wrong and too lazy too look it up.
But if he's not charged for that, then it's a pure traffic violation, which means he's not charged at all and will get fines and his license taken away for X months/years.

I think that's how it works here in Sweden, correct me if i'm wrong.

You are correct. I they decide to charge/fine him for anything its "v�rdsl�shet i trafik" which basicaly translates to reckless driving..

Last edited:

RangerFan23

Jul 28, 2010

A violation is a charge, but not a criminal charge. In NYC, things like urinating in public, loitering, harassment, etc. are considered violations. The records are sealed and you don't have a "criminal record" when you go to, for example, fill out a job application.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
A violation is a charge, but not a criminal charge. In NYC, things like urinating in public, loitering, harassment, etc. are considered violations. The records are sealed and you don't have a "criminal record" when you go to, for example, fill out a job application.

Many applications ask, have you ever been charged with a crime other than violations or misdemeanors. Some will ask if you have ever been convicted of a crime other than a moving violation. If a guy has to go to court, pay a fine, and have his license taken away by the court that is a charge even if only a violation where I live. Some traffic charges are violations. Some may become misdemeanors based on excess. Some are felonies. Drunk driving is a good example. It goes from misdemeanor to felony based on how much shows in your blood.

I do not know how Sweden works but if this happened where I live there is a possibility he would face some serious charges as well as a huge civil law suit. I have seen innocent families devastated by this kind of recklessness on the roads. I'm not happy with this guys decision.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
It is what it is. Terrible for Kovac to be involved in an accident where his best friend dies.

I think many of us have driven recklessly when we were young, I have at least. People tell you that it's dangerous, and almost every time it's not even close. But if is of course, you have no marginals and if nothing else you are in the hands of anyone else on the street and you don't only risk your own life, you risk people around yous life.

Can't imagine that Kovac will face any severe charges, unless he really spilled the beans to the police and/or some prosecutor tries to make a name for herself.

The article say the two cars were racing, Kovacs IG talks about racing, but all we know is that the two cars were going really fast. That is a traffic violation. It takes something else in Sweden to move past that, people are caught driving that fast all the time. It wasn't a street race by any means, two friends driving fast in connection to each other. Did Kovac like instigate in lack of a better word his friends fast driving? Nah, that must be so hard to prove. He is getting punished hard enough.

In Sweden/all of Europe (under the European Convention on Human Rights) all violations of the law that you can be sanctioned for is a criminal offense. Depending on how severe the sanction is (fee/prison), the prosectutor through the police can issue a fine on sight. If you don't accept it, you go to a criminal proceeding. Recklessness in traffic can result in jail time, involuntary manslaughter is a possibility if you drive recklessly.

However this was a crash between two cars and Kovac wasn't in any of the cars. The third car caused the crash by violating the law by changing lanes when the lane she changed to wasn't clear. I can't imagine that Kovac will still be convicted or even charged for anything other than at most driving too fast.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
MacTavish got vehicular manslaughter. He hit a woman and killed her and he'd been drinking. Something similar I think with Jimmy Craig--the US Olympic winning goalie in 1980. It pretty much destroyed his career. That's not quite similar to what happened here.

Different places--different laws. I sometimes look back at myself--some of the things I used to do and I could have been pulled over a lot of times for being drunk.....so is it luck or what?

Anyway I haven't heard that Kovacs was drinking. He was doing something just as dumb as what I use to do and a lot of other people have done only he now has a best friend who is dead because of that and I'm sure he's feeling some guilt over that. I don't know--does he need to go to jail for something he's probably going to carry with him the rest of his life? I would think he's already learned a lesson and that jail time would just be some kind of redundant punishment.

Either or though--right now I wouldn't expect him at training camp.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Idiot. Hopefully he can learn and move forward from this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad