News Article: Kovacs Under Investigation For Reckless Driving

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
So he was racing against a friend, the friends car crashed, and his friend died.

Terrible situation, but if this happened in the US he'd likely just get fined. Not sure what Swedish laws would apply in this situation, though. I see the article mentioned manslaughter - which to me is ridiculous as the other driver chose to race, you can't blame him death on Kovacs unless he ran his friend off the road or something. They were both being dumb and an unfortunate accident happened.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Kovacs was driving 200km+/h along with another car, that car crashed and the driver died, Kovacs is now under investigation for "recklessness in traffic"

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/a/OVy3A/svenskt-hockeyproffs-inblandad-i-dodsolyckan

for what it's worth that source doesn't name him explicitly but it's been confirmed on different discussion boards that it is Robin Kovacs

So another car that was driving alongside him crashed? I guess it can be implied that the two cars were racing? Not sure what kind of legal penalties come along with "recklessness in traffic" in Sweden.. not a good look for Kovacs, regardless.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
So another car that was driving alongside him crashed? I guess it can be implied that the two cars were racing? Not sure what kind of legal penalties come along with "recklessness in traffic" in Sweden.. not a good look for Kovacs, regardless.

They raced with 2 sports cars, a female driver went out on the left lane to pull ahead, she didn't the see the 2 fast cars already in the left lane (they obviously drove wat beyond the speedlimit, above 200km/h) Robin made it just before she got on the left lane, the other car just behind him smashed into that female's car and driver lost control of the car and hit a big stone well or something on a field next to the highway and died... So Robin was lucky.

rekclessness in traffic in sweden is applied if you're driving a huge amount above the speedlimit, like 80km/h+ I think the legal limit was 100 or 110km/h.. according to that article they probably won't investigate the manslaughter thing.

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
Allegedly he has been charged for recklessness in traffic prior to this and as an repeat offense he might face a bigger punishment.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Some places in the US you can get arrested for attending an unsanctioned street race. And if you participate, you can can face jail time and have your vehicle impounded and destroyed. No idea what the laws are like in Sweden.

Sad, sad story. Stupid kids doing stupid things. Pretty much everyone does stupid things at that age, but it's incredibly unfortunate this ended up taking the life on a young man.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Some places in the US you can get arrested for attending an unsanctioned street race. And if you participate, you can can face jail time and have your vehicle impounded and destroyed. No idea what the laws are like in Sweden.

Sad, sad story. Stupid kids doing stupid things. Pretty much everyone does stupid things at that age, but it's incredibly unfortunate this ended up taking the life on a young man.

Wal

Jan 20, 2011
Oslo, Norway
Not sure if it's the same rules in Sweden as Norway, but here you'll get a huge fine and do 3-12 months in jail, depending of severity, if I'm not mistaken.
I don't know if there is ways around, but would also think that a jail sentence would make it difficult to get work visa to the US.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Giving this its own thread, instead of necro-bumping a months old "confirmed signing" thread. Other mods can decide whether it warrants discussion at all.

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
He's pretty stupid to race like that and deserves to spend hard times.

We should wash our hands of people like that..

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
Sad all around. I hope he's learned a valuable lesson and learns from it. Young kid, stupid decisions.

He's a repeat offender, he hasn't learned squat, and now someone is dead because of it. He's even tried to blame it on the woman in the car they crashed into.

I'm sorry, but that's horsecrap, I nearly got into a huge accident once because someone was doing 250 behind me on a 100 road in Sweden, it's hard to tell when someone is coming that fast from behind, this isn't the autobahn where you have to expect that kind of thing. This country is full of these speedtards as they're called in Sweden, I hope they throw the book at him and the NHL steps in, we don't need another Heatley.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
He's a repeat offender, he hasn't learned squat, and now someone is dead because of it. He's even tried to blame it on the woman in the car they crashed into.

I'm sorry, but that's horsecrap, I nearly got into a huge accident once because someone was doing 250 behind me on a 100 road in Sweden, it's hard to tell when someone is coming that fast from behind, this isn't the autobahn where you have to expect that kind of thing. This country is full of these speedtards as they're called in Sweden, I hope they throw the book at him and the NHL steps in, we don't need another Heatley.

Really? I wasn't aware that Kovacs was a repeat offender. I thought one of the positives about him was his character. Damn.

Poor woman. Poor family. R.I.P. to her

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Really? I wasn't aware that Kovacs was a repeat offender. I thought one of the positives about him was his character. Damn.

She didn't die, Kovács friend in the other car who hit the woman and flipped off the road is the person who died.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Geez... that's just stupid. Way to risk your life and livlihood on a race.

If you are going to race, just rent a track after you get some NHL games in. They have that you know.

Don't risk the lives of others on dumb **** like this.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He's pretty stupid to race like that and deserves to spend hard times.

We should wash our hands of people like that..

Not sure who you mean by "we" and what you mean by "wash our hand of," but the kid is 19 and no one should be given up on for making a mistake at 19.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden

Yep he lost his drivers license once already due to reckless driving. That's the joke of Sweden, driving penalties are next to nothing, even if he was charged with manslaughter, which I'm sure he won't be, he'd probably only do 6 months in jail, but because he's a hockey player he'd probably get a suspended sentence. I hope American authorities are watching this, no need to have a dip---- like this with a car on the street. He can take the bus to practice.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Yep he lost his drivers license once already due to reckless driving. That's the joke of Sweden, driving penalties are next to nothing, even if he was charged with manslaughter, which I'm sure he won't be, he'd probably only do 6 months in jail, but because he's a hockey player he'd probably get a suspended sentence. I hope American authorities are watching this, no need to have a dip---- like this with a car on the street. He can take the bus to practice.

I dunno, I drove 35km/h above speedlimit and lost my driver license for 4 months and a $700 fine (i had two speed tickets within a 2 year period so they added up, would have been 2 months otherwise, but still, i think that's a lot in this case)

This guy was driving crazy fast, his best friend died (they decided to race together, he could have said no) and he was really reckless, he needs to atleast get some jailtime IMO

failure

Nov 25, 2014
Colorado Springs
I can't say that I haven't driven 120mph on the freeway racing with someone. Funny thing is, I've seen more guys with expensive cars racing on the freeway than idiot kids. I've also seen police speeding by at those speeds with no lights on.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Proof positive in the US at least that you're a POS if you're just racing the guy...

https://northeasttimes.com/two-arrested-in-fatal-street-racing-crash-b9d0c21f3995

Glad no one innocent was killed at least.

Interesting. Not that I support racing, but if you race someone and crash, the other racer shouldn't be responsible for your actions (IMO). Hit them with whatever the penalty is for racing in general, but they shouldn't be on the hook for the other cars accident.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
So he was racing against a friend, the friends car crashed, and his friend died.

Terrible situation, but if this happened in the US he'd likely just get fined. Not sure what Swedish laws would apply in this situation, though. I see the article mentioned manslaughter - which to me is ridiculous as the other driver chose to race, you can't blame him death on Kovacs unless he ran his friend off the road or something. They were both being dumb and an unfortunate accident happened.

That's . . . not really true. Many jurisdictions in the US have legitimate jail time for these offenses.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Interesting. Not that I support racing, but if you race someone and crash, the other racer shouldn't be responsible for your actions (IMO). Hit them with whatever the penalty is for racing in general, but they shouldn't be on the hook for the other cars accident.

Why? They helped create the situation. You need two to street race (at a minimum). If you're both at issue for causing the situation to begin with, you take the good with the bad (and, thus, are liable for the other driver's actions).

I have no issue with the way the laws are. Go to a drag strip to race.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad