News Article: Kovacevic: Time to trade Letang could be now

PPenguins724

87 - undisputed best
Mar 25, 2013
Pittsburgh

My point exactly. I'd want either Landeskog or Duchene coming back with O'Reilly rather than McGinn, who has YET to complete a season. For a reason I don't know, I have apprehensions about Colorado's forward stockpile.

Edit:
It's funny... you hear the names Moulson and Vanek thrown around on the rumors board a lot, but Letang makes the untouchable touchable. I like this leverage.

Edit 2:
Just saw that the Canucks beat the Oilers 2-1... Without Tortorella. Or Henrik Sedin. Lets get this Eberle and Gagner thing rolling if we're dealing Tanger. :laugh:

Last edited:

Michael8771*

Go talk to the Avs fans about ROR for Letang.

Have some advil handy.
I see, they think he's the be all end all, eh? I like him, but I'd prefer Eberle.

My point exactly. I'd want either Landeskog or Duchene coming back with O'Reilly rather than McGinn, who has YET to complete a season. For a reason I don't know, I have apprehensions about Colorado's forward stockpile.
Well yeah we all would, but COL isn't gonna give us those sorts of guys on top of ROR. ROR +Mcginn is pretty fair I believe.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
ROR is the kind of player you win cups with. Skill, great defense, all out effort, and all the little things our management craves in its personnel.

Parise is complete player, and a proven playoff warrior who does all the little things.

Eberle is a very talented offensive player with whisperings of compete issues and no playoffs experience.

One of these players is not like the other two.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I'm not debating the merit of trading or not trading Letang. I just think it's hilarious that the talk on here about trading Letang has been arguably the primary topic on these boards in the last 2 weeks, and then this article comes out.

I know most of the hockey journalists at least glance at these boards, if not look at them more often. I really used to love Dejan's articles on the Pens when he wrote for the PG, but his own personal columns at the Trib are overwhelming underwhelming or worse. This makes the fact that he brings up a subject that is actually interesting quite an anomaly and curious.

Agreed. With the Trib being an extension of the Pens PR machine, and Rossi and Yohe being little more than gossip mongers, it is rather curious. If it was the other two, I'd wonder if Shero wasn't feeling out both the market and the fan base.

Jmelm hits it out of the park.

In his chats and articles recently, DK is down hard on Adams, and very high on Depres, while being peimistic that he will be traded. And he loves Megna.

Yep - he's one of us.

Trading Letang this season would be way way out of character for Shero. If he does do it, it will be right up against the deadline, and only if the team proves over these next 15 games or so that it can't play a responsible defensive game with Tanger in the line-up. It's really amazing to me the destabilizing effect Letang seems to have on team defense, which apparently goes way beyond when he is on the ice.

If a trade does happen, it won't be to a crappy team like Edmonton that he is guaranteed to hate. It will be to a good team and decent location like Colorado, or one of the Cali teams. This I am positive of, Shero would never deal him to a team he knows would be high on Letang's "don't-want-to-play-for" list. Not after giving Tanger his word not to trade him before the LNTC kicks in.

Agreed on the bolded. I don't think Shero would trade Letang to a team that wasn't on his list, promise or no promise. Look at how he handled moving Z. He could have sent him to a number of teams, but he only talked to two ... Z's former team and the one his brother played for.

Cole, I don't believe we need an RW for Sid. I love Bennett there. Our centers don't require multiple highly-paid wingers, just ones who complement them well. We ARE a truly dynamic team that has been hit by injuries.

I also think Letang's deficiencies prior to this season are hugely over-exaggerated. He's an elite young defenseman who's had some hiccups along the way, like virtually all elite young defensemen (we just played against one tonight). It'd have to be something truly amazing to get me to part with that.

I think this has been an especially poor year for Letang exacerbated by injury and a revamped system. It's concerning, but not enough for me to seriously consider dealing him.

That's a hell of a return, and if it were available, it'd require some serious thought.

ROR is one of the very few wing options discussed here who'd give me pause. Eberle's another.

Kane isn't.

Well, what do you know ... that's three points I agree with you on. The sky may be falling :laugh: I think Shero is going to see what he has in BB, Megna and Gibbons before he looks to the trade market. It wouldn't surprise me to see him move some of Bylsma's pets to force him to play those guys, either. As far as Letang goes, I think a little patience is in order. But if we do trade him, I agree, it would need to be one hell of a return.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Letang+Dupuis(french connection for Roy) for ROR, McGinn, 2nd? Dupuis can be traded if Colorado agrees IIRC, even though he's done for the season.

Michael8771*

ROR is the kind of player you win cups with. Skill, great defense, all out effort, and all the little things our management craves in its personnel.

Parise is complete player, and a proven playoff warrior who does all the little things.

Eberle is a very talented offensive player with whisperings of compete issues and no playoffs experience.

One of these players is not like the other two.
Eberle is also on a team that's been a bottom dweller since he arrived there. Believe it or not in Mario's early days was accused of being a floater himself. EDM has immersed itself into a continual cycle of losing, yet Eberle still produces consistently. I think a change of scenery can only do the kid wonders, well that and playing along side Sid.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I see, they think he's the be all end all, eh? I like him, but I'd prefer Eberle.

Well yeah we all would, but COL isn't gonna give us those sorts of guys on top of ROR. ROR +Mcginn is pretty fair I believe.

First off, if you read my posts in that thread, know that I am not a fan of using sarcasm smilies, but the fact that it goes over their heads is delicious.

Now...

They think Maatta is average and Despres isn't much because he's in the AHL. I'd be curious to know what they think about Kris Letang. Them Avs fans, they would have said yes last season, they get Roy and their team starts to do well, suddenly they turn into Oilers fans when they said "Start with Staal" when Hemsky was brought up. LOL

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
On one hand, I'm leery of seeing a potential elite defenseman dealt and see him flourish and reach his potential elsewhere. Letang certainly has the physical ability to be among the top five defensemen in the league.

But on the other hand, the more I watch him the more I question if his brain will ever allow him to reach the potential his physical tools suggest he has. I'm just not sold on him ever being "smart" enough to become a true, elite #1 defenseman who you can count on in all situations, and especially in the playoffs.

So at this point, I'm fine with him staying, but wouldn't be against him being dealt if the return was really good. We're talking a top end first line winger, here.

What I took from that article was the idea that it really doesn't matter how Letang turns out because he's easily replaced from within. Nisky is a fine poor-man's Letang who will make about half as much and there's no doubt i my mind that one of Olli/Dumo/Des/DP and QB the PP better than Tang.

Also, the more I think about it the more I realize that I'd rather have the return for Tang (Eberle/Kane/Wheeler) plus Des being kept than the return for Des (rental or comparable prospect) plus Tang at 7.25M.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Eberle is also on a team that's been a bottom dweller since he arrived there. Believe it or not in Mario's early days was accused of being a floater himself. EDM has immersed itself in a continual cycle of losing, yet Eberle still produces consistently. I think a change of scenery can only do the kid wonders, well that and playing along side Sid.

Yes, he will be awesome here! 30G scorer once again like he's done with the Oil. Eberle is a dynamic winger, he would be PERFECT for Crosby.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
If Shero were to trade Letang, he'd trade him to a place where he's going to be comfortable.

Edmonton:
Loserville

vs.

Colorado:
French coach
can win
can compete
young core with playoff aspirations

which one wins in terms of Letang flourishing and competing for a Cup?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
If Shero were to trade Letang, he'd trade him to a place where he's going to be comfortable.

Edmonton:
Loserville

vs.

Colorado:
French coach
can win
can compete
young core with playoff aspirations

which one wins in terms of Letang flourishing and competing for a Cup?

Meh, let him rot with Oilers!:nod:

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
Eberle's a good player but he's crazy overrated because of the numbers he put up a couple seasons ago.

He would be a gigantic whipping boy on the Pens any game he wasn't scoring, pretty much deservedly so. He's got a lot of skill but he's too weak, poor defensively, and not good at forechecking. Watching him try to toe-drag around defender after defender makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

There are a whole bunch of other targets I'd rather go after, especially if we're trading Letang for them. Although, Edmonton does make some of the most sense as a trading partner.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Avs:
Letang
Adams

Pens:
PA Parenteau
Wilson
Barrie
Conditional Pick 3rd Round Pick 2015 (becoming a 2nd Rounder in 2015 if Avs reach the conference finals)

And we will see you in the Cup Finals.

But really, meets both teams needs in a lot of ways.

Avs need a major upgrade to the D core, and Letang fits most of those needs in a big way. Avs probably look to add an additional D man via another trade to play with EJ or Letang, Hejda will play with one of them. Adams fills a need for a veteran depth forward with a winning pedigree.

PA Parenteau would be amazing with either Crosby or Malkin. Wilson provides filler depth on the blueline in the now with Barrie coming in as part of the future. All three guys fit into the Pens cap situation very well, as the three combined make less than Letang. Pick varies depending on end result this season for the Avs. Pens either sit tight with that D core this season and hope Wilson can stay healthy enough or Barrie picks up his game enough to work now OR trade Wilson plus whatever they were going to use to bring in a winger to get a D upgrade.

Last edited:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Eberle's a good player but he's crazy overrated because of the numbers he put up a couple seasons ago.

He would be a gigantic whipping boy on the Pens any game he wasn't scoring, pretty much deservedly so. He's got a lot of skill but he's too weak, poor defensively, and not good at forechecking. Watching him try to toe-drag around defender after defender makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

There are a whole bunch of other targets I'd rather go after, especially if we're trading Letang for them. Although, Edmonton does make some of the most sense as a trading partner.

Then you want ROR who is also a PK beast ontop of being an effective winger and a C, guy is like Jokinen in that he can play any position.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Avs:
Letang
Adams

Pens:
PA Parenteau
Wilson
Barrie
Conditional Pick 3rd Round Pick 2015 (becoming a 2nd Rounder in 2015 if Avs reach the conference finals)

Avs need a major upgrade to the D core, and Letang fits most of those needs in a big way. Avs probably look to add an additional D man via another trade to play with EJ or Letang, Heja will play with one of them. Adams fills a need for a veteran depth forward with a winning pedigree.

PA Parenteau would be amazing with either Crosby or Malkin. Wilson provides filler depth on the blueline in the now with Barrie coming in as part of the future. All three guys fit into the Pens cap situation very well, as the three combined make less than Letang. Pick varies depending on end result this season for the Avs.

Uhhhhh....ROR or bust.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Letang is signed and the other two are not, though they're RFA's, what if they give a stink on contracts talks like O'Reilly did for his recent one?

I'd say it's fair if there's conditionals added.

I'm fine which ever way this rounds about.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Avs:
Letang
Adams

Pens:
PA Parenteau
Wilson
Barrie

Avs need a major upgrade to the D core, and Letang fits most of those needs in a big way. Avs probably look to add an additional D man via another trade to play with EJ or Letang, Hejda will play with one of them. Adams fills a need for a veteran depth forward with a winning pedigree.

PA Parenteau would be amazing with either Crosby or Malkin. Wilson provides filler depth on the blueline in the now with Barrie coming in as part of the future. All three guys fit into the Pens cap situation very well, as the three combined make less than Letang. Pick varies depending on end result this season for the Avs. Pens either sit tight with that D core this season and hope Wilson can stay healthy enough or Barrie picks up his game enough to work now OR trade Wilson plus whatever they were going to use to bring in a winger to get a D upgrade.

The main piece in a Tang trade will not be a recent UFA that Shero could have just gone after for free.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
The main piece in a Tang trade will not be a recent UFA that Shero could have just gone after for free.

Pens could have afforded PAP 2 and a half years ago? That is a lifetime ago in hockey circles, and PAP is a much more proven player than he was when he left the Island. A lot of people questioned if he could put up numbers without Tavares, and he has produced solid numbers over the last two and a half seasons, playing with various combos of lines with different roles. PA is probably an 80 point guy playing with Crosby or Malkin.

Maybe I am overrating PAP... but I think he is far better than you are giving him credit for, not to mention Barrie is legit, though far from proven, D prospect and Wilson is a decent 5/6 D man.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Avs:
Letang
Adams

Pens:
PA Parenteau
Wilson
Barrie
Conditional Pick 3rd Round Pick 2015 (becoming a 2nd Rounder in 2015 if Avs reach the conference finals).

The main piece in the trade going back to Pittsburgh is PA Parenteau? Seriously? The rest of the deal hardly even makes up for it. Wilson and Barrie are not needed by the Pens. The Pens are already stacked with too many defensemen they don't even know what to do with.

I do like the idea of Colorado taking Craig Adams though. How about we remove all the pieces except for Adams for the 3rd round pick. It doesn't even have to be conditional. :sarcasm:

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
Avs:
Letang
Adams

Pens:
PA Parenteau
Wilson
Barrie

If Shero's going to move Letang, it's for a youngish legit top-line winger, and probably a decent + as well.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Pens could have afforded PAP 2 and a half years ago? That is a lifetime ago in hockey circles, and PAP is a much more proven player than he was when he left the Island. A lot of people questioned if he could put up numbers without Tavares, and he has produced solid numbers over the last two and a half seasons, playing with various combos of lines with different roles. PA is probably an 80 point guy playing with Crosby or Malkin.

Maybe I am overrating PAP... but I think he is far better than you are giving him credit for, not to mention Barrie is legit, though far from proven, D prospect and Wilson is a decent 5/6 D man.
Yes...and yes.

PAP will not be the main piece in a trade for Letang.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
If Shero's going to move Letang, it's for a youngish legit top-line winger, and probably a decent + as well.

At 30, PAP is not exactly young-ish, but he is not old either...probably has 4-5 years of top level play in him...and his style of game + the fact he was a bit of a late bloomer seems to indicate to me he will probably age well past the 35+ prime years. Starting in his first full season he has 53 points, 67 points, 43 in 48 games in the short season, and 25 in 39 this year with a good chunk of this season early spent breaking MacKinnon into the league. PAP is a legit top-line winger who can play well with star talent or in a more defensive 3rd line roll if needed. (25th leading scorer in NHL last year, tied for 26th 2 years ago)

Barrie, Wilson, and a 3rd/2nd are a pretty decent + as well. (Barrie equates to a early 2nd or late 1st round pick on the HF Boards scale of value, Wilson a late 3rd or early 4th, and well, the pick is a 2nd or 3rd depending on the outcome of the playoffs)

Plus, his cap hit is very friendly at 4 million for 2 more seasons after this for a proven 60 point scorer who probably jumps to 80 with Crosby or Malkin.

Guess the dog won't hunt for the Pens fans, which is fine, but the value is there IMO and I think both clubs would walk away winners from this, both in the now and the long run.

Last edited:

ObsessedCreative*

Avs:
Letang
Adams

Pens:
PA Parenteau
Wilson
Barrie

And like clock work this friggin' guy comes in here and proposes this garbage! :laugh: HOG was 100% spot on about these Av fans and their evaluations... Where's the Tylenol?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad