News Article: Kovacevic: Time to trade Letang could be now

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I'm not debating the merit of trading or not trading Letang. I just think it's hilarious that the talk on here about trading Letang has been arguably the primary topic on these boards in the last 2 weeks, and then this article comes out.

I know most of the hockey journalists at least glance at these boards, if not look at them more often. I really used to love Dejan's articles on the Pens when he wrote for the PG, but his own personal columns at the Trib are overwhelming underwhelming or worse. This makes the fact that he brings up a subject that is actually interesting quite an anomaly and curious.

Completely agree. Dejan at PG was non-stop 100% true facts. He's much more hit and miss at the Trib.

Michael8771*

I'd be more than happy with a defense that looks like (below) this.

Despres/Maatta, Martin
Maatta/Despres, Niskanen
Scuderi, Bortuzzo

I wonder what he would take to re-sign, though, Niskanen I mean. I would be ok with him being re-signed for 4m/yr for a 3yr contract.
I was thinking of a possible NISKY extension myself and I agree. Three or four years sounds about right. But yeah, that defensive line up you have there looks very solid to me.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
Jmelm hits it out of the park.

In his chats and articles recently, DK is down hard on Adams, and very high on Depres, while being peimistic that he will be traded. And he loves Megna.

Yep - he's one of us.

Trading Letang this season would be way way out of character for Shero. If he does do it, it will be right up against the deadline, and only if the team proves over these next 15 games or so that it can't play a responsible defensive game with Tanger in the line-up. It's really amazing to me the destabilizing effect Letang seems to have on team defense, which apparently goes way beyond when he is on the ice.

If a trade does happen, it won't be to a crappy team like Edmonton that he is guaranteed to hate. It will be to a good team and decent location like Colorado, or one of the Cali teams. This I am positive of, Shero would never deal him to a team he knows would be high on Letang's "don't-want-to-play-for" list. Not after giving Tanger his word not to trade him before the LNTC kicks in.

PPenguins724

87 - undisputed best
Mar 25, 2013
Pittsburgh
If the Jets didn't finally get their heads out of their ***** and replace their coach and start winning 4 in a row...I'd say that Kane fella would be a nice "get" for Letang.

So realistically, which teams do you think would be in on Letang?

Oilers being an obvious one of course.

I don't know if a trade of this magnitude is possible, but...
:pens
LW/C/RW Evander Kane
LW Andrew Ladd

:jets
D Kris Letang
D Simon Despres

OR

RW Jordan Eberle
C Sam Gagner
2015 1st round pick (Shot at McDavid)

:edmonton
D Kris Letang
D Simon Despres

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I was thinking of a possible NISKY extension myself and I agree. Three or four years sounds about right. But yeah, that defensive line up you have there looks very solid to me.

Hopefully next year, Bylsma isn't the one coaching them as well, I mean we are all in agreement that Bylsma is going to get fired after the team fails to make it to the SCF again, right?

I am looking forward to the future tenure of Martin & Hynes (even Nas as the defense coach, because seriously, Reirden sucks, him and his male pattern baldness can go back to where the hell he was before he came to this team).

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
RRP - I will agree that Letang's talents are through the roof. I am one of his biggest fans until recent where his boneheaded (consistently for a long time) plays have cost us dearly. I do not want to trade him. I do not want new shiny things when we have something so damn good. But...

We are in the ONE situation where it's plausible. We drafted all these dmen and a lot of them look ready to go. We also have a good shelf life of vet defenders to play solid defense. It's amazing to say but the significance of losing Tangers really wouldn't be lost. I never thought I'd be saying that. Look at his recent terrible playoff runs where he becomes an idiot. We don't need that. The offensive output can be brought into play by guys like Nisky. We do not need 60 pt defenders. We have enough offense and can add the winger for Sid for a truly dynamic team. We need DEFENSE. Tangers could be a top defender but he just refuses to do so.

I'm just saying - FOR WHAT THIS TEAM NEEDS putting Letang on the table is now available to us if we get our equally dynamic player back for Sid. Tell me that isn't true...

Cole, I don't believe we need an RW for Sid. I love Bennett there. Our centers don't require multiple highly-paid wingers, just ones who complement them well. We ARE a truly dynamic team that has been hit by injuries.

I also think Letang's deficiencies prior to this season are hugely over-exaggerated. He's an elite young defenseman who's had some hiccups along the way, like virtually all elite young defensemen (we just played against one tonight). It'd have to be something truly amazing to get me to part with that.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Cole, I don't believe we need an RW for Sid. I love Bennett there. Our centers don't require multiple highly-paid wingers, just ones who complement them well. We ARE a truly dynamic team that has been hit by injuries.

I also think Letang's deficiencies prior to this season are hugely over-exaggerated. He's an elite young defenseman who's had some hiccups along the way, like virtually all elite young defensemen. It'd have to be something truly amazing to get me to part with that.

RRP, you're not concerned about Letang's IQ and the fact it doesn't seem to be improving as he gains experience? It's not his physical abilities that have held him back. He just seems to continually make dumb decisions.

PPenguins724

87 - undisputed best
Mar 25, 2013
Pittsburgh
If a trade does happen, it won't be to a crappy team like Edmonton that he is guaranteed to hate. It will be to a good team and decent location like Colorado, or one of the Cali teams. This I am positive of, Shero would never deal him to a team he knows would be high on Letang's "don't-want-to-play-for" list. Not after giving Tanger his word not to trade him before the LNTC kicks in.

But in the same respect, I feel like the teams Letang won't want to be traded to will be the ones suffering... because they don't have defense. The candle burns at both ends.

Dejan probably does read HFBoards, and probably wrote the article to watch the place burn.
Well played, Mr. Kovacevic.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
LW/C/RW Evander Kane
LW Andrew Ladd

D Kris Letang
D Simon Despres

OR

RW Jordan Eberle
C Sam Gagner

D Kris Letang
D Simon Despres

If you trade Letang, you can't trade Depres. It would be a terrible move and weaken our D too much IMO.

Maybe you could package one of the other WBS D in a move like that, but your NHL ready guys are off limits if Letang is sent packing.

Me thinks Ladd & Kane for Letang is only a very slight overpayment, but would never happen unless Letang is known to like Winnipeg - which many people actually do - and the Jets can move the over-weight guy for a top 6 forward.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
RRP, you're not concerned about Letang's IQ and the fact it doesn't seem to be improving as he gains experience? It's not his physical abilities that have held him back. He just seems to continually make dumb decisions.

Right now one can make a strong case for Niskanen being just as reliable as Letang. They're the same age and it's clear there isn't enough room for both next year.

Obviously Letang has much greater physical gifts/skills, but if you could resign Niskanen at 4m/year and get, say, Ryan O'Reilly and Jamie McGinn for Letang I think that makes the Penguins a better team than they are with Letang and some ~$4m UFA winger.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I'm not saying Dejan doesn't read HF, but this isn't exactly an obscure topic, particularly in light of that Pittsburghmagazine.com roundtable on this very idea.

This forum didn't brainstorm the idea of trading Letang, I can assure you. In fact, it's so not crazy to trade a coveted $7 million playoff liability that it probably occurred to many.

But, he's not worth dumping for anything less than ideal. I'm a Letang critic and still harbor some faith in his gradual improvement.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
LW/C/RW Evander Kane
LW Andrew Ladd

D Kris Letang
D Simon Despres

OR

RW Jordan Eberle
C Sam Gagner

D Kris Letang
D Simon Despres

There is no way the Jets or Oilers do a trade like that.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

I think this has been an especially poor year for Letang exacerbated by injury and a revamped system. It's concerning, but not enough for me to seriously consider dealing him.

Right now one can make a strong case for Niskanen being just as reliable as Letang. They're the same age and it's clear there isn't enough room for both next year.

Obviously Letang has much greater physical gifts/skills, but if you could resign Niskanen at 4m/year and get, say, Ryan O'Reilly and Jamie McGinn for Letang I think that makes the Penguins a better team than they are with Letang and some ~$4m UFA winger.

That's a hell of a return, and if it were available, it'd require some serious thought.

ROR is one of the very few wing options discussed here who'd give me pause. Eberle's another.

Kane isn't.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Trading Letang makes tons of sense. We don't need just 1 piece, we realistically need 2-3, all forwards. And we can replace Letang's minutes. If we can do a deal centered around Letang for ROR + McGinn, we'd be a far better team, and could be set for a long time. Niskanen takes over with Scuderi, and Maatta / Despres / Bort fights it out over your 3rd pairing. And then you can extend Niskanen, Martin when he comes up, etc. You've got lots of options.

If you want to make any significant improvements to our forwards, Letang has got to go. These Despres + Sutter + 1st or Despres + BB + 1st packages won't get you what you need, and kill us down the road.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
But in the same respect, I feel like the teams Letang won't want to be traded to will be the ones suffering... because they don't have defense. The candle burns at both ends.

You make a good point. However, Edmonton has truly hopeless management, no prospects of that changing, and gapping holes throughout the lineup.

Michael8771*

LW/C/RW Evander Kane
LW Andrew Ladd

D Kris Letang
D Simon Despres

OR

RW Jordan Eberle
C Sam Gagner

D Kris Letang
D Simon Despres
I don't think we could get the Jet's to bite on that. We'd need to up the ante quite a bit. The second trade is more fair value wise, but I'd prefer Eberle for Letang straight up.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I don't think we could get the Jet's to bite on that. We'd need to up the ante quite a bit. The second trade is more fair value wise, but I'd prefer Eberle for Letang straight up.

You don't like the bit about potentially grabbing McDavid or merely another top five pick? Plus Gagner?

I think the Oil would prefer Eberle for Letang and it seems realistic to me. Harsh landing for Letang, though.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
That's a hell of a return, and if it were available, it'd require some serious thought.

ROR is one of the very few wing options discussed here who'd give me pause. Eberle's another.

Kane isn't.

Yeah, I'm by no means trying to get Letang on the next flight out of Pittsburgh, but I think a player of his caliber is worth a top line winger and a second good asset. Giggledrops was worth Kunitz and a well regarded prospect; the return on Letang would be huge.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think this has been an especially poor year for Letang exacerbated by injury and a revamped system. It's concerning, but not enough for me to seriously consider dealing him.

Kane isn't.

ROR is a guy I think Shero deals Letang for. He'd be a godsend.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Yeah, I'm by no means trying to get Letang on the next flight out of Pittsburgh, but I think a player of his caliber is worth a top line winger and a second good asset. Giggledrops was worth Kunitz and a well regarded prospect; the return on Letang would be huge.

Five years ago. Is the premium on offensive D really so high anymore, especially in light of the inflated-value guys (Whitney, Goligoski) coming from Pittsburgh? I'm not sure.

Any recent deals we can look at?

Michael8771*

You don't like the bit about potentially grabbing McDavid or merely another top five pick? Plus Gagner?

I think the Oil would prefer Eberle for Letang and it seems realistic to me. Harsh landing for Letang, though.
Well, I have a lot of confidence in Despres and believe he's a better player then some may think. Beyond that Gagner has struggled for quite a while and eventually the OIL will improve to the point where a guy like Mcdavid will be less likely. If they get Letang they'll improve enough next year where the chance to pick him is even more remote. And honestly I don't think the Oilers would want to do that either. Eberle for Letang makes far more sense for both teams IMO.

PPenguins724

87 - undisputed best
Mar 25, 2013
Pittsburgh
There is no way the Jets or Oilers do a trade like that.

Why not?
Kane has the potential to become a sub-Ovi scorer, so maybe I can't see Winnipeg paying the kings' ransom for Letang.

Letang for Eberle and Gagner makes perfect sense. Oilers want to move Gagner to begin with, and Eberle alone isn't worth Letang (do consider that Eberle's contract is shorter than Letang's, too.) It gives Edmonton the star defenceman they need at the cost of good offensive talent, which I understand they have a stockpile of.

Remember when Shero was willing to throw everything but 66's mansion at Zach Parise a year or so back? Well, look at the numbers: Eberle is scary close to what Parise was, and much younger and, more impressively, not playing with developed veterans like Parise was. There's no reason that Shero shouldn't be on the phone with MacTavish constantly checking in on the kid's availabilty, as long as Edmonton is in the basement.

And somebody please clarify to me why Ryan O'Reilly is so. highly. coveted.
I'm simply not sold on the guy!
Plus, ALL of his scouting reports have him as a "Great two-way center"
We need a speedy, scoring winger... It's like we need the Johnathan Toews even though the Jordan Staal is available. Oh, wait...

If Letang gets moved, I believe Edmonton is a suitable destination. He's got a shot at becoming a captain. He has offensive talent to get the puck to. They're on the right of the rebuild not far from where Letang came in on the Penguins, except perhaps Pittsburgh was better coached than Edmonton is. Realistically, 58 could win a cup there in 2-3 years and remain a contender down the road.

I still don't want him moved, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad