Kovacevic: Move Over TO, It's Our Game

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Is this an early April Fools joke? He talks about a 255 game sell out!
Wow, I guess selling out the last 80 years does not count. I guess
all those kids comming out of Toronto area and Ontario don't count.
Just because the leafs haven't won since 1967, does that mean I can
tell a person from Chicago that baseball was bigger in Toronto in the 90's
because the Cubs havn't won in 90 or so years and the Jays won twice!
I think Eyes of Orpik hit the nail on the head. You have to consider the source and once you do then you'll know to take this with a grain of salt. No Pittsburgher or Pens fan anywhere agrees with the article.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Yeah I just think it's funny that one reporter says something stupid and it's a whole backlash. Some Pittsburgh Journalists are known for being idiots so a "consider the source" approach would be fine but they say our fanbase is a joke and we only show up because we have Crosby and Malkin, and Bettman handed us Crosby as a gift and if he didn't the team wouldn't be in Pittsburgh.

Leafs fans. :laugh:

ha. you got them riled up. they're offended that you're offended that some of them are trashing Pittsburgh fans and the Pens. come again?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
:laugh:
As I thought, there's a thread going on the Leafs board and it's all "they almost moved" etc. One even called Pittsburgh an "industrial wasteland." Oookay.

Never mind the fact that the biggest **** Dejan is getting over that article is from Pens fans.

Leafs fans are generally a cool lot, so it's disappointing they would take DK troll bait, but I guess it's expected when you try to trash something they are so proud of.

I shouldn't have but I quickly glanced at the thread and read one post about how they would kick Pgh ass in a game of hockey, etc.

I grew up playing in Pgh and have played agt a ton of Toronto players over the last eight years since I got here and more than held my own. I mean c'mon bro, silly comment.

Hockey is hockey, it doesn't matter where you grew up. All that matters is you love the game.

Like I keep saying, Pens beat writers are a joke and an embarrassment. Sadly they represent our city in the eyes of other media and fans.

Please come back, Tom.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I have been thinking that the Toronto game was a trap and that the Pens were due for a let down after two huge emotional road wins against despised rivals. This does not help. Would not be surprised if the Pens get a reality check tonight.

Anderson55

Jun 18, 2010
As a Pens fan living in Toronto, this article is ridiculous. Pittsburgh has a much better team and have alot going for them, but its still not a good comparison at all.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I have been thinking that the Toronto game was a trap and that the Pens were due for a let down after two huge emotional road wins against despised rivals. This does not help. Would not be surprised if the Pens get a reality check tonight.
I can't see this being a factor. It certainly isn't bulletin board material or anything.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I'd be a lot more worried if the organization didn't already see Dejan as an idiot after the Crosby captain article.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I can't see this being a factor. It certainly isn't bulletin board material or anything.

I was thinking this well before the article. Just seemed the only place to put it. Will they use it as bulletin board material? Maybe. But am more concerned about a let down after those two key road games.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I was thinking this well before the article. Just seemed the only place to put it. Will they use it as bulletin board material? Maybe. But am more concerned about a let down after those two key road games.

Well, this very well could be a trap game-- and it will be interesting to see how the Pens rise to that challenge-- but, if it proves to be one in the end, then it will have nothing to do with Dejan's latest troll job, anything to the contrary notwithstanding that the Toronto media might claim in the even of such a result.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007

I can't imagine a single player caring about a hockey mecca debate.

The Leafs are certainly capable of winning this game. I agree with that.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
As I thought, there's a thread going on the Leafs board and it's all "they almost moved" etc. One even called Pittsburgh an "industrial wasteland." Oookay.

Never mind the fact that the biggest **** Dejan is getting over that article is from Pens fans.

I'm glad you got a kick out of that :laugh: :laugh:

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I refuse to read it and be trolled (and give that POS publication clicks). The Strength of Joe is in all who recognize and want to wield it.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco

thinly-veiled compliment - it means the city belongs in an Antonioni film. :laugh:

Red+Desert+43.jpg

Karnage420*

Born and raised in toronto.

I hope pittsburgh never wants to be like toronto in terms of hockey.

All the plat/gold seats are bought by big business. All the fans are self loathing, the entire fanbase is stuck in an eternal shamespiral - its all negativity regarding the leafs and unless they land the next crosby it will likely stay that way forever.

Pittsburgh has become the EXACT opposite of the leafs. sure we dont have the sheer number, but in terms of how we think we are always optimistic and forward thinking.

Even in 15 years when we'll likely have no star players or something - hope will always be there.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Dejan isn't so bad, it's just a fluff piece. They all do it, and every time HF takes to the streets. It's just the way it is. It was either this or an interview with a random player full of softball questions.

MonsterSurge

Nov 14, 2011
Toronto has at least 25 Major Junior/Junior A, NHL, and AHL teams within 2 hours, but we're the hockey mecca...

*facepalm*

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Embarrassing article from Kovacevic, and he used to be decent too. He's lost all credibility with me for writing this garbage.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada

Hopefully you are wrong my friend.

With that said, as much as I hate to say this, I could see you being right.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I'm glad you got a kick out of that :laugh: :laugh:

It's mostly a personal pet peeve since Pittsburgh hasn't been an industrial wasteland in a long time. Steel mills moved out and high tech & hospitals moved in.

That said, taking this article seriously and using it to bash the Pens fan base would be like Leafs fans being held accountable for everything Damien Cox writes. It's homer rah-rah garbage written to make the fans give themselves a pat on the back for how great we are. In reality it's had the complete opposite effect - Pens fans have been laying into Dejan on twitter all morning.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Born and raised in toronto.

I hope pittsburgh never wants to be like toronto in terms of hockey.

All the plat/gold seats are bought by big business. All the fans are self loathing, the entire fanbase is stuck in an eternal shamespiral - its all negativity regarding the leafs and unless they land the next crosby it will likely stay that way forever.

Pittsburgh has become the EXACT opposite of the leafs. sure we dont have the sheer number, but in terms of how we think we are always optimistic and forward thinking.

Even in 15 years when we'll likely have no star players or something - hope will always be there.

Try putting up with what we have and see if much of your fan base doesn't turn pessimistic. Not all of us are like that but for the ones that are its understandable. I don't think anyone would endure what we have and still continue to come back.

As for the reaction of some of the fans in our thread I'm sorry about that. It was as uncalled for and ignorant as the original article but it doesn't represent the majority of us.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Don't worry,Toronto has its fair share of "journalists" .... and dumb fans

Good luck tonight

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
The fact that Toronto had won 13 Cups by the time we entered the league is just one of the many examples of things wrong with that article. Plus while over the years we have been fortunate to have guys like Mario, Jagr, Coffey, Francis, Stevens, Crosby, Malkin, etc. play for us, the number of legendary players that have associated with the Leafs over the years is way larger than ours.

Hell I wish we had half of the rich, storied history that the Leafs do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad