Speculation: KOTR's Fan Base Mock (Your #16 pick has been made)

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Shout out and stealing this idea that was never followed through by Candy Canes. Thought it would be interesting to try it again as I liked the idea originally. Also a chance to change history if you voted in the last go round. Trying to make it through the entire first round before the draft.

Currently on the clock: Edmonton (Your pick has been made)

Rules:

I will be making posts on teams main forums, so look out for yours when your team is up to pick! When the team is up to pick, the fans of that team will post their player they want drafted with that pick. After about 24 hours at 8:00 AM (Pacific) the player that was said the most on the forum will be the team's selection! If a tie breaker happens to be needed I will give that team extra time until the next vote is cast.

-You as a voter, can only vote once.
-You can only select one player.
-Of course like a real draft, once a player is selected they can not be drafted again.
-Please make your pick clear and separate your commentary where possible.
-Thanks for participating.

The entire mock will be updated on the Mock Board section under KOTR's Fan Base Mock.

1-EDMONTON=Connor McDavid
2-BUFFALO=Jack Eichel
3-ARIZONA=Dylan Strome
4-TORONTO=Noah Hanifin
5-CAROLINA=Mitch Marner
6-NEW JERSEY=Matthew Barzal
7-PHILLY=Ivan Provorov
8-COLUMBUS=Zach Werenski
9-SAN JOSE=Pavel Zacha
10-COLORADO=Lawson Crouse
11-FLORIDA=Mikko Rantanen
12-DALLAS=Kyle Connor
13-LA=Timo Meier
14-BOSTON=Travis Konecny
15-CALGARY=Nick Merkley
16-EDMONTON=Jeremy Roy
17-WINNIPEG
18-OTTAWA
19-DETROIT
20-MINNESOTA
21-BUFFALO
22-WASHINGTON
23-VANCOUVER
24-TORONTO
25-WINNIPEG
26-MONTREAL
27-ARIZONA
28-PHILLY
29-ANAHEIM
30-TAMPA BAY

Last edited:

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Trying to follow this idea through the first round.

Please make your pick clear i.e.:

McDavid

Commentary can go under it like this.

Thanks again for participating.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
So we are to post our preference here in this thread?

1-16 Jeremy Roy - D - Sherbrooke

One of his scouting reports: (top shelf - Ben Kerr)

The 4th overall pick in the 2013 QMJHL Draft. Jeremy Roy was an alternate captain with Team Canada at the Ivan Hlinka tournament last summer. He put up three assists in five games and brought home a gold medal. When he returned to Sherbrooke he was named an alternate for the club as well. This season, Roy has shown dynamic offence from the blueline for the Phoenix, with 43 points in 46 games. He added five points in six playoff games. With Sherbrooke out in the QMJHL playoffs, Roy will join Team Canada for the IIHF Under-18 World Championships, looking to add to his medal haul.
Jeremy Roy

Defense — shoots Right
Born May 14 1997 — Richelieu, PQ
Height 6.00 — Weight 188 [183 cm/85 kg]

Jeremy Roy is a good, but not great skater. He has a bit of a choppy stride and is slow in his first few steps and in his acceleration, but when going full out his decent speed moving both forwards and backwards. Roy has the strong edge work, pivots and agility though to cover all areas in the defensive zone, and walk the line to create chances in the offensive zone. He takes good angles and maintains good gap control, and is very difficult to get around on the rush. Roy also has the balance necessary to battle along the boards and in front of the net, though he could add a little bit more lower body strength as he matures. He already has some decent strength on his skates and tough to knock off the puck, but will need more for the pro game.

Jeremy Roy is an extremely smart player, who almost always makes the right pass out of his own end, or on the point at the powerplay. Roy is developing a hard one-timer, and understands that by keeping it low and on net, he creates second chance opportunities for the Sherbrooke forwards. He is poised with the puck on his stick whether it be at the point, in his own end skating it out of danger, or leading the rush. He uses his good stickhandling ability to generate offense off the rush, and is a threat to go end to end any time he touches the puck. Roy also has a very accurate wrist shot, which he can utilize off the rush, or from the point when he doesn’t have time to let go of the big wind-up. He has a good release that can fool goaltenders.

Defensively, Roy’s hockey sense and positioning are extremely good, and he battles hard in the corners and in his own end. He may only be 17, but he plays all situations and against top competition for the Phoenix this year and is a real difference maker for his club. As mentionned, he is willing to battle in the corners or in front of the net. The best part of Roy’s defensive game is how quickly he can take the puck and transition to offence though. This will aid his team in puck possession and ensure they don’t spend much time in their own end of the rink when he is on the ice. While he doesn’t get himself out of position to throw big hits, he can be physical, and has even fought on a few occassions.

Roy has all the tools necessary to be a top pair defenceman and powerplay quarterback in the NHL. He will need some development time to reach that potential though. If he doesn’t quite reach his ceiling, there is a good chance he can still play on the second pair and be part of the powerplay. His style is similar to Oliver Ekman-Larsson of the Arizona Coyotes, though this is a stylistic comparison and not one based on talent.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I haven't seen him, but I like the reports about him. I'd be good with Jeremy Roy in the 16th spot.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Jeremy Roy for me too.

Been really impressed with him in the U18s.

Great 2 way guy and seems like a solid leader.

Debonair

PS4
Jul 20, 2004
Evgeny Svechnikov

Highest guy on my list left, and I would go BPA (whoever is highest on the Oilers list) at #16

BasedGOD*

As much as I want an RD prospect Jakub Zboril is too good to pass up.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Jeremy Roy would be my choice.

So we are to post our preference here in this thread?

1-16 Jeremy Roy - D - Sherbrooke

One of his scouting reports: (top shelf - Ben Kerr)

The 4th overall pick in the 2013 QMJHL Draft. Jeremy Roy was an alternate captain with Team Canada at the Ivan Hlinka tournament last summer. He put up three assists in five games and brought home a gold medal. When he returned to Sherbrooke he was named an alternate for the club as well. This season, Roy has shown dynamic offence from the blueline for the Phoenix, with 43 points in 46 games. He added five points in six playoff games. With Sherbrooke out in the QMJHL playoffs, Roy will join Team Canada for the IIHF Under-18 World Championships, looking to add to his medal haul.
Jeremy Roy

Defense — shoots Right
Born May 14 1997 — Richelieu, PQ
Height 6.00 — Weight 188 [183 cm/85 kg]

Jeremy Roy is a good, but not great skater. He has a bit of a choppy stride and is slow in his first few steps and in his acceleration, but when going full out his decent speed moving both forwards and backwards. Roy has the strong edge work, pivots and agility though to cover all areas in the defensive zone, and walk the line to create chances in the offensive zone. He takes good angles and maintains good gap control, and is very difficult to get around on the rush. Roy also has the balance necessary to battle along the boards and in front of the net, though he could add a little bit more lower body strength as he matures. He already has some decent strength on his skates and tough to knock off the puck, but will need more for the pro game.

Jeremy Roy is an extremely smart player, who almost always makes the right pass out of his own end, or on the point at the powerplay. Roy is developing a hard one-timer, and understands that by keeping it low and on net, he creates second chance opportunities for the Sherbrooke forwards. He is poised with the puck on his stick whether it be at the point, in his own end skating it out of danger, or leading the rush. He uses his good stickhandling ability to generate offense off the rush, and is a threat to go end to end any time he touches the puck. Roy also has a very accurate wrist shot, which he can utilize off the rush, or from the point when he doesn’t have time to let go of the big wind-up. He has a good release that can fool goaltenders.

Defensively, Roy’s hockey sense and positioning are extremely good, and he battles hard in the corners and in his own end. He may only be 17, but he plays all situations and against top competition for the Phoenix this year and is a real difference maker for his club. As mentionned, he is willing to battle in the corners or in front of the net. The best part of Roy’s defensive game is how quickly he can take the puck and transition to offence though. This will aid his team in puck possession and ensure they don’t spend much time in their own end of the rink when he is on the ice. While he doesn’t get himself out of position to throw big hits, he can be physical, and has even fought on a few occassions.

Roy has all the tools necessary to be a top pair defenceman and powerplay quarterback in the NHL. He will need some development time to reach that potential though. If he doesn’t quite reach his ceiling, there is a good chance he can still play on the second pair and be part of the powerplay. His style is similar to Oliver Ekman-Larsson of the Arizona Coyotes, though this is a stylistic comparison and not one based on talent.

Jeremy Roy for me too.

Been really impressed with him in the U18s.

Great 2 way guy and seems like a solid leader.

J.Roy for me as well

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
My choice would be Chabot but I guess I'm in the minority here.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
This is why I hope we trade the pick. Pretty slim pickings here.

I guess I'd go with Svechnikov. He probably has the highest upside left on the board.

eS7

Dec 22, 2011
Saskatchewan
Evgeny Svechnikov

This is a tough position. If the draft worked out this way and no one fell to us I would hope we'd trade the pick. If we have to pick here then I would take Svechnikov. See him as having the best chance of a higher impact than anyone left. I know many want a d-man in this spot and there are some pretty good choices left but at this point I would wait until our second.

Side note. I would be pretty disappointed if Calgary picked Merkley one ahead of us. He is a good pick around here. Really like what he can bring and I would have taken him here given the choice.

Debonair

PS4
Jul 20, 2004
Evgeny Svechnikov

This is a tough position. If the draft worked out this way and no one fell to us I would hope we'd trade the pick. If we have to pick here then I would take Svechnikov. See him as having the best chance of a higher impact than anyone left. I know many want a d-man in this spot and there are some pretty good choices left but at this point I would wait until our second.

Side note. I would be pretty disappointed if Calgary picked Merkley one ahead of us. He is a good pick around here. Really like what he can bring and I would have taken him here given the choice.

I don't think Calgary takes Merkley anyways even if the fans want him. Doesnt seem like a Burke type.

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
This is why I hope we trade the pick. Pretty slim pickings here.

I guess I'd go with Svechnikov. He probably has the highest upside left on the board.

Really? Slim pickings? Svechnikov, Roy, and Zboril all look like great prospects.

I'll go with Roy, but I'd be happy with any of the three.

eS7

Dec 22, 2011
Saskatchewan
I don't think Calgary takes Merkley anyways even if the fans want him. Doesnt seem like a Burke type.

I agree, I don't think they take him at 15. Although I would take him with our pick or trade down a bit if you feel he will end up in the 20-25 range

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad