Speculation: KOTR's Fan Base Mock Draft(Your team is on the clock #26)

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
For those more familiar with him, Larsson seems to be part of the new age 'shutdown' defenseman a la Brodin, Hjalmarsson and Stralman. I assume he plays a similar game as those three?

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
For those more familiar with him, Larsson seems to be part of the new age 'shutdown' defenseman a la Brodin, Hjalmarsson and Stralman. I assume he plays a similar game as those three?

Yep, similar type of defenceman based on his play in the SHL. If you consider his ability (when he commits to offence) to create plays and drive the offence, the comparable players could extend to guys like Petry and McDonagh. I'm not saying he'll have the same impact or potential, but similar playing styles.

Really intelligent defenceman for his age. I've seen him play online a fair amount of times and I came away being impressed with his mobility, intelligence, and first pass. Good player, really solid pick.

Spinorama2

Aug 27, 2013
Yep, similar type of defenceman based on his play in the SHL. If you consider his ability (when he commits to offence) to create plays and drive the offence, the comparable players could extend to guys like Petry and McDonagh. I'm not saying he'll have the same impact or potential, but similar playing styles.

Really intelligent defenceman for his age. I've seen him play online a fair amount of times and I came away being impressed with his mobility, intelligence, and first pass. Good player, really solid pick.

you like him better than Juulsen
how do you think they compare

eaglesmaster

Sep 20, 2008
Juulsen

I'd rather trade down however. This board is a worse case scenario in my mind, all the ones I really want are gone.

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
Samsonov is my pick.

I previously said Bittner but I've decided to go with the BPA. Remember, the Habs were set in goal with Theodore when they drafted Carey Price!

The players I hoped would slide to us are already gone: Boesner, Guryanov, Chabot, White et al. I hope the real draft does not shake out this way.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Not enough Roslovic viewings for me. So I let the PROS assess his work. From the limited viewings I had, I liked him. But not enough to forget about Beauvillier's or Sprong's gamebreaking abilities. And Juulsen great 2-way overall game. But wouldn't hate a Roslovic pick either. From what I read....seems a nice project.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I could understand Samsonov just because when it is all said and done, he could be a Top 5 player from the draft, his potential is that high. But even if he does become that good, his trade value is limited as a goalie, so it could be pointless in the end. His value is in if you think he can start for your franchise, otherwise he's not that big of an asset.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I could understand Samsonov just because when it is all said and done, he could be a Top 5 player from the draft, his potential is that high. But even if he does become that good, his trade value is limited as a goalie, so it could be pointless in the end. His value is in if you think he can start for your franchise, otherwise he's not that big of an asset.

Unless......we predict Samsonov will be a top goalie in 3 years, Price renegotiating in 4 years.....Let say we can't make the moves to be a contending team around that time, we think Price will ask for some significant money but we might have to rebuild.....trade Price, get some significant youngsters and picks...and your #1 goalie is....Samsonov. Could Samsonov be a insurance Policy?

I know....shoot me.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Unless......we predict Samsonov will be a top goalie in 3 years, Price renegotiating in 4 years.....Let say we can't make the moves to be a contending team around that time, we think Price will ask for some significant money but we might have to rebuild.....trade Price, get some significant youngsters and picks...and your #1 goalie is....Samsonov. Could Samsonov be a insurance Policy?

I know....shoot me.

It would piss a lot of fans off, especially casual ones. Look at 2005, that was 3 years removed from a Hart trophy win by Theodore. This will be the same year Price wins MVP. But I would understand in a cap world. And we are also talking about 26th overall instead of 5th.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
you like him better than Juulsen
how do you think they compare

I think they compare quite well in terms of upside, just different styles. I'm fairly confident that Juulsen has better offensive potential than Larsson, but I feel that Larsson is a safer pick. Defensively, Larsson is a real standout. He knows exactly what he needs to do to obtain possession and he executes those plays very efficiently. Very intelligent, knows how to retain possession and knows how to create plays in the offensive zone. With maturation, I think he could be a very solid defenceman that a coach could rely on in any situation.

On the other hand, Juulsen plays a riskier offensive game (compared to Larsson), but has seen production and success with it. He's willing to implicate himself in the play and make a difference. Sometimes that goes his way and sometimes it doesn't. Both are quite similar physically, I'd give an edge to Juulsen for natural puck skills, but the edge to Larsson in terms of poise/decision making.

I'd really be happy with either, I just think Larsson has the tools to become a solid NHL defenceman - a slightly safer pick.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I think they compare quite well in terms of upside, just different styles. I'm fairly confident that Juulsen has better offensive potential than Larsson, but I feel that Larsson is a safer pick. Defensively, Larsson is a real standout. He knows exactly what he needs to do to obtain possession and he executes those plays very efficiently. Very intelligent, knows how to retain possession and knows how to create plays in the offensive zone. With maturation, I think he could be a very solid defenceman that a coach could rely on in any situation.

On the other hand, Juulsen plays a riskier offensive game (compared to Larsson), but has seen production and success with it. He's willing to implicate himself in the play and make a difference. Sometimes that goes his way and sometimes it doesn't. Both are quite similar physically, I'd give an edge to Juulsen for natural puck skills, but the edge to Larsson in terms of poise/decision making.

I'd really be happy with either, I just think Larsson has the tools to become a solid NHL defenceman - a slightly safer pick.

Who is the better skater? Is it even close? I know Juulsen is above average, but not a standout, just haven't seen Larsson play.

Spinorama2

Aug 27, 2013

thanks.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Who is the better skater? Is it even close? I know Juulsen is above average, but not a standout, just haven't seen Larsson play.

There's no issue with mobility for either player. If it came down to it, I'd give Larsson the edge simply because of his strength and balance on his skates. Not a knock on Juulsen, it could be just that Larsson is more physically mature.

Larsson is a very good skater. Doesn't get beat to the outside and doesn't have any issue defending against fast forwards. He's rarely out of position and he controls that through good IQ and very good skating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad