Speculation: KOTR's Fan Base Mock Draft(Your team is on the clock #19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Cant believe noone has voted Zboril.. Hes consistently ranked higher than Kylington and Chabot.

I would hope the wings take him in this case but between the 2 everyone is voting for I'll go Chabot

Yeah, Zboril definitely deserves consideration. I prefer Chabot and Kylington because (from what I've seen of Zboril) they seem to be better skaters than him. His shot is awesome though and he's the most physical of the three. My personal view of them is that Kylingotn has the highest potential but is the biggest risk. He could be a #1 D I think, but also he could fail to make the NHL entirely. I see Chabot and Zboril as both being more 2nd pairing guys with PP potential as well. I think Chabot is the least risky of the three. That's my 2 cents and why I'd pick either of those two over Zboril, but I'd be pretty happy with any of them. If all three are available when we pick I'd try to trade back 2-4 spots pick one of them and maybe get a late second rounder/3rd rounder out of it.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Bob McKenzie

@TSNBobMcKenzie

No one's stock fell further faster this year than Kylington. Top 10 in pre-season, 24 on TSN final list. Some scouts believe he's strong...
1:37 PM - 5 Jun 2015

@TSNBobMcKenzie

...candidate to fall out of the 1st round. Some scouts rank him well down, 60+. Terrific skater but they don't feel he put it together.

Kylington seems like the new Josh Ho-sang...

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Cant believe noone has voted Zboril.. Hes consistently ranked higher than Kylington and Chabot.

I would hope the wings take him in this case but between the 2 everyone is voting for I'll go Chabot

Re: Zboril. The rankings don't always tell you how comparable the talent may be. You can't put too much stock in the rankings and you shouldn't use them as your sole criteria for differentiating between players. The players in the back third of the first round are all very, very close in talent and all have their own warts. I think it would be a huge mistake for anyone to conclude that Zboril is materially better than Chabot or vice versa based upon some public ranking. 90% of drafting is subjectively projecting how a guy is going to look and play 5 years from now. Opinions can and do vary.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Re: Zboril. The rankings don't always tell you how comparable the talent may be. You can't put too much stock in the rankings and you shouldn't use them as your sole criteria for differentiating between players. The players in the back third of the first round are all very, very close in talent and all have their own warts. I think it would be a huge mistake for anyone to conclude that Zboril is materially better than Chabot or vice versa based upon some public ranking. 90% of drafting is subjectively projecting how a guy is going to look and play 5 years from now. Opinions can and do vary.

Zboiril (plays on same team as Chabot) was one of 3 finalists for Mike Bossy trophy (best professional prospect).. Meier won it but it says something that Zboril and not Chabot was nominated... IMO they are very close. Chabot's rankings seemed to improve after the U18 Worlds where more people from the GWN got to see him. ISS April had Zboril ahead of Chabot, May and June Chabot ahead of Zboril... most of the hockey had been played and the rankings changed.. If you want a D at this spot there are at least 3 good picks on the board (Chabot, Zboril, Kylington)

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
Kylington

It's a tough choice between him and Chabot, and I'd be happy landing either. From what I've gathered it seems Chabot is the safer choice, but Kylington has more potential. For me, a chance at Karlsson lite is too good pass up. Plus I trust Hakan, so...

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
If Kylington is indeed falling that far, some say in to the late 2nd, it would be nice to trade back and get him along with another solid prospect in the late first/early second.

Although it does suck watching the whole first round of the draft and then have the Wings trade out of the first round which has happened a few times before...

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
If Kylington is indeed falling that far, some say in to the late 2nd, it would be nice to trade back and get him along with another solid prospect in the late first/early second.

Although it does suck watching the whole first round of the draft and then have the Wings trade out of the first round which has happened a few times before...

I just worry that we end up missing out on him if we do that. There seems to be a lot of defensemen bunched up around our spot, but few of them have the upside of Roy, Chabot or Kylington. I've been hearing Zboril's name a bit too, so we can even include him. However, if one or two of them are gone by the time we pick at 19, then we decide to trade down 5+ spots, I'm thinking we miss out on all of them. That is absolutely something I do not want.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Holy merged thread batman.

Yeah it wasn't the intention... but seems to be working ok.

Score... Chabot 10 Kylington 8 Juulsen 1

As mentioned by someone, I think the wings will be in great shape if these Dmen are available are at 19. Whoever they pick I'll assume that they got it right whether it be any of the above, or Zboril / Roy. If they go with Kylington that's a good thing as that pretty much says they believe he will progress to Karlsson lite. Also, if all these Dmen are available... I agree, a trade down a few spots could make sense.

But as Octopus just said... we need one of those guys.

Thanks again for the effort KOTR.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

The risky thing is... it only takes 1 team to have him not fall on their board for that to go all wrong. And I feel like with 30 teams, that can definitely happen.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
I would lean Chabot.

But with Sproul looking more like a bust now than ever, I could definitely see the value in adding another high ceiling offensive guy, like Kylington. Plus a few of the others we had PP hopes for like Almquist, Backman, Smith, Kindl, and maybe Jensen haven't worked out. Chabot just seems like he has the greatest chance at being a true #1 guy of the bunch. XO and Marchenko don't seem to be destined for heavy PP time anytime soon.

Honestly, if we were in the situation and didn't trade down, it would mean that the team has a read on one of these guys way above the others and I'd be happy. I couldn't complain with any of the names mentioned so far, and I'm pretty confident in our scouting, so I'd be happy either way. I learned my lesson criticizing the Larkin pick because I wanted Fabbri. :laugh:

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
I would lean Chabot.

But with Sproul looking more like a bust now than ever, I could definitely see the value in adding another high ceiling offensive guy, like Kylington. Plus a few of the others we had PP hopes for like Almquist, Backman, Smith, Kindl, and maybe Jensen haven't worked out. Chabot just seems like he has the greatest chance at being a true #1 guy of the bunch. XO and Marchenko don't seem to be destined for heavy PP time anytime soon.

Honestly, if we were in the situation and didn't trade down, it would mean that the team has a read on one of these guys way above the others and I'd be happy. I couldn't complain with any of the names mentioned so far, and I'm pretty confident in our scouting, so I'd be happy either way. I learned my lesson criticizing the Larkin pick because I wanted Fabbri. :laugh:

Good post. I was thinking along the same lines. A pass on Kylington would be made easier if we are able to get Green, etc.

I think we have about an hour left for voting. Haven't heard from some of the boards best posters. TZE, Joe, etc. and we're missing votes from some of our "less than stellar posters" who probably don't want to commit to an opinion for the fear of being wrong. Man up. Pick your horse.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Bob macKenzies List just came out.

Has...

Zboril 14
Carlo 22
Kylington 24
Chabot 25
Roy 29

Interesting.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Yeah it wasn't the intention... but seems to be working ok.

Score... Chabot 10 Kylington 8 Juulsen 1

As mentioned by someone, I think the wings will be in great shape if these Dmen are available are at 19. Whoever they pick I'll assume that they got it right whether it be any of the above, or Zboril / Roy. If they go with Kylington that's a good thing as that pretty much says they believe he will progress to Karlsson lite. Also, if all these Dmen are available... I agree, a trade down a few spots could make sense.

But as Octopus just said... we need one of those guys.

Thanks again for the effort KOTR.

Thanks all for the participation. I'll trust your count.

Detroit selects Thomas Chabot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad