Speculation: KOTR's Fan Base Mock Draft(Your team is on the clock #19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Fan Based Mock Draft Pre Chatter

Hey guys / gals...

On the mock draft board there is a fan based mock draft (KOTR's Fan Based Mock) making it's way to us. It's currently at Edmonton's 16th pick. It takes a day per pick so it'll be reaching us in a couple / 3 days. It's a neat exercise to see what falls to our pick using other team's majority votes and gives us something to look back at to see if we choose right in hindsight.

Although there's plenty of draft chat in our draft thread I put this thread up for a couple reasons.
Gives us a place to do some pre chatter and watch which players come off the board over the next few picks. Debate our picks. Also... when the thread comes our way it'll be good if the thread itself was for drafting not for the debate / discussion. Keep it cleaner for KOTR.

You can go to the Edmonton board or the Mock Draft Board to see how it's played out so far if you like. But I'll list some forwards and D that haven't been chosen yet. No real surprises so far. I'm not including J. Roy as he's likely Edmonton's choice. Their voting window is closing soon. I'll list ISS final rankings beside each player.

Forwards

White 15
Bittner 17
Svechnikov 18
Eriksson-Ek 20
Guryanov 24
Harkins 25
Sprong 26
DeBrusk 27

Defence

Chabot 16
Carlo 21
Zboril 22
Juulsen 29
Carlson 30
Larsson NR (in top 30)
Kylington NR (in top 30)

I think that covers enough options but feel free to add names. For the exercise there's no trading picks so that's not an option. I'll delete the players that get chosen for 17 and 18.

Anyway.... discuss.

Feel free to list the players in other rankings that are out there if you like. I just used ISS. Lots of other lists floating around.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Based on what's left

1.) Chabot
2.) White
3.) Kylington
4.) Svechnikov

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Just to get this out of the way... Looking at the players listed it looks like a good year to try to drop back a few spots and gather another pick unless the scouting staff loves one of those names sitting available.

But as mentioned, that's not an option for this mock draft.

I bolded the centres. Not much there.

Last edited:

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Pretty sure we need to go with a D-man.

I am not at all up to date with any of these names.

But lets assume we go with a D man.

Does one of the current guys available stand out, or are we better trading down for 2 2nd round D men??

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Just to get this out of the way... Looking at the players listed it looks like a good year to try to drop back a few spots and gather another pick unless the scouting staff loves one of those names sitting available.

But as mentioned, that's not an option for this mock draft.

I bolded the centres. Not much there.

White is a center, and Svechnikov has played some center as well.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
I'm gonna jack some really good info from NKI's top 120 list along with his ranking. A lot of great info in there. It's on the prospect board if you're interested.

Colin White 25 (6'0")

Keywords, unique identity traits: decently sized two-way C that excels in all three zones and has high-end skating ability

Room for improvement: doesn't translate his toolset into being a consistent offensive zone factor as it would be expected out of a high-end forward prospect

Projection: I'd project White as a 2nd/3rd line two-way center that can play special teams. If he manages to be an offensive factor as he moves up through the ranks then that should solidify his top 6 role, however he should still be capable of playing on the 3rd line as his game should translate relatively well to that role as well if needed.

Paul Bittner 16 (6'4")

Keywords, unique identity traits: size, skill, skating, shot

Room for improvement: inconsistent approach in his physicality, defensive zone effort could be better on a shift-to-shift basis

Projection: I would project him as a top 6 winger with the combo of size, skill, and mobility, that has the potential to be a scorer. If his game doesn't completely come together a 3rd line wing might be a more realistic projection.

Evgeny Svechnikov 34 (6'2")

Keywords, unique identity traits: explosiveness, size, skill

Room for improvement: could utilize frame-size better to protect the puck at the wall, defensive zone awareness could be better, sometimes tries to do too much

Projection: Top 6 skilled power forward and a power play option.

Joel Eriksson-Ek 24 (6'2")

Keywords, unique identity traits: ability to track and support play, compete level, shot and nose for net, can play in traffic and around the net, quick-response time from in-close

Room for improvement: lacks muscle to battle effectively, despite good compete level and 6'2 frame can be overpowered physically as he needs to fill out considerably

Projection: Ideally you would be looking at someone who can project as a 2nd line center with the ability to play both PP and PK. More conservatively he should still be projectable to a 3rd line C role. If the transition to wing would be required, I think there is some chance there that his game would translate to wing as well as he has the size, the smarts, the compete level, and the scoring ability to at least have a fighting chance if the move ever gets considered.

Denis Guryanov 26 (6'2")

Keywords, unique identity traits: sizeable winger with speed and skill, excels in puck protection and in cycle, can gain space through neutral zone with puck handling and speed, great shot and finds soft spots to get it off

Room for improvement: can be prone to overdoing his offensive rushes through transition, tries to gain entry by himself a bit too much, which can result in turnovers

Projection: I'd project Guryanov as having the ability to play as a top 9 winger with size and skill. Good puck protection, can sustain zone time, skates with the puck and can gain space, and does a good job of finding open spaces to get his shot off. Could play on the PP. Probably a better fit for a top 6 role but could make a contribution in a bottom 6 role as well.

Jansen Harkins 19 (6'1")

Keywords, unique identity traits: ability to read the play, mature two-way game and attention to detail, anticipation without the puck

Room for improvement: offensive zone deception and creativity, footwork

Projection: I would project him as a two-way 3rd line center with smarts and a decent compete level that has capability to play on the PK. Provided he improves his footwork, 2nd line C might be an option

Daniel Sprong 29 (6'0")

Keywords, unique identity traits: skill, offensive zone control from the perimeter, lateral agility, deceptive shot

Room for improvement: play without the puck, getting his teammates involved, excessive individualism can make him look like he's playing on an island, could simplify his approach

Projection: I would project him as a top 6 winger and a PP option if he does make it, don't see the skillset for him to be a bottom 6 forward.

Jake DeBrusk 37 (5'11")

Keywords, unique identity traits: scoring winger with high-end offensive instincts from in-close, excellent offensive zone reads and timing around the net, combines that with decent skill and compete level

Room for improvement: defensive zone positioning is fine but could stand to play at a higher intensity in defensive zone, adding strength and size to his frame would aid with his leverage and explosiveness, that should improve both his strength on skates and puck-protection which should in turn make him more projectable to a top 6 role at the NHL level

Projection: If things work out well for DeBrusk I could see him as high as 1st line complimentary scoring wing with his around-the-net instincts, if his overall game and physical fitness reach NHL standards then he would be a perfect complimentary top line winger. More conservatively we would be looking at a 2nd/3rd line scoring wing that can also play on the PP.

Thomas Chabot 15 (6'1")

Keywords, unique identity traits: mobility, puck-movement, poise, low-panic blue liner

Room for improvement: Could stand to add more definition to his game both defensively and offensively. Needs to fill out frame-size. Could have more bite physically in the defensive zone.

Projection: With Chabot, as mentioned, there are really a lot of different "outs" for what he can become. He already has an intriguing skill-set and a very solid foundation to build on, so he could really develop into a variety of roles. The ideal scenario might even have him playing on the top pairing, but with what he is showing now a mobile two-way puckmoving 2nd pair is probably a realistic projection, but it is important to recognize with Chabot that there is upside for more.

Brandon Carlo 18 (6'5")

Keywords, unique identity traits: size, reach, mobility

Room for improvement:Developmentally, he has to be careful not to be stuck in being only a guy with attractive "tools". Needs to further develop his identity and define himself as a modern shutdown defenseman that can also make plays.

Projection: Big modern defensive defenseman that has mobility and can make a play, depending on how a team has their pairings set up and his development, could play anywhere from a safety-valve even on first pairing if a team likes having a stay-at-home type to pair with a puck-mover, down to a more conservative 3rd pairing projection. Potential for 1st PK unit.

Jakub Zboril 21 (6'0")

Keywords, unique identity traits: positional sense, composure, mature low-maintenance game, willing to physically engage and can move the puck

Room for improvement: at his size needs more snarl around the net, footwork in-tight could be a bit better

Projection: I'd say he can realistically be a two-way guy that leans more to the defensive side of things but is capable of integrating himself and contributing in all zones. A 1st pairing guy in an ideal scenario if he is paired with someone who would do the driving on his pairing, realistically though he is probably going to be your #3 to #5 defenseman that can also play both special teams

Noah Juulsen 49 (6'1")

Keywords, unique identity traits: compete level and intensity, physically involved and is a presence on the ice, mid-sized defenseman that can move the puck and plays with a bit of a snarl

Room for improvement: structure in his game is a work in progress, prone to "overheating" and taking himself out of the play

Projection: I would project him as a two-way physical defenseman that can get involved all over the ice with good mobility and hockey IQ. I think he's a player worth watching going forward to discover whether there is more untapped top 4 potential there. My gut feeling says he could do it.

Gabriel Carlsson 35 (6'4")

Keywords, unique identity traits: big mobile defensive defenseman, competitive and will battle every shift, good defensive stick ability, can make basic solid fundamental plays

Room for improvement: lacks offensive creativity

Projection: I'd project Carlsson as a modern defensive defenseman that isn't deficient at puck-skills or mobility, probably on 2nd or 3rd pairing, but that would be dependant on how a team sets-up their pairings (teams that prefer puck-mover - defensive D look on each pair could utilize a player like Carlsson in their top 4 if he hits his potential). Should have the capability to play on PK and would be best paired with a puck-moving or an offensive defenseman.

Jacob Larsson 17 (6'2")

Keywords, unique identity traits: smooth and fluid puck-moving D plays a smart game, solid size and compete level, heady break-outs, smart in closing down

Room for improvement:jack of all trades master of none means that he might not be more than depth defenseman at the NHL level

Projection: I'd project Larsson at the high-end of his upside as a 2nd pairing two-way/puck-moving defenseman that can play some PP minutes as well as PK

Oliver Kylington 33 (6'1")

Keywords, unique identity traits: skating, shot, unique offensive weapon from the blue-line

Room for improvement: needs to fill out his frame, handling forwards down-low, net presence, gap-control and protecting middle of ice in defensive zone

Projection: Unique offensive weapon from the blue-line, would be best slotted as an offensive weapon that doesn't have to be that all-around #1 defenseman who exhibits control on ice. Realistically, second pairing and 1st powerplay unit. Excellent PP option. Would be best paired with a physical defenseman that has a strong positional sense and can handle forwards down low.

Last edited:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
1. Juulsen
2. White
3. Dunn

I would have no qualms with you taking White over Juulsen. I think that both have a lot of upside.

I like the Russians but we all know that Kenny isn't going to spend a first-round pick on one of them.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Yeah I like the russians too. I've wanted a new Datsyuk for many years. Doesn't seem like one is coming though. I like Sprong as well.

But I'm thinking Chabot or Kylington would be our best pick. But I only know what I read. I just think we need a homerun with this pick.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Jeremy Roy officially off the board. Winnipeg is on the clock and Svechnikov seems to be the early favourite with 5 out of their 6 votes so far.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
(with the enormous assumption that the scouting reports are reasonably accurate)

Biggest need: Chabot
Most intriguing: Svechnikov

I'll say need before greed, so I'll put Chabot #1 and Svech #2.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
So we're hopping on this Erikson-Ek bandwagon, huh? Not sure I like him better than White, but I am cool with picking him.
I like White, but I'm concerned that he might not project as a center (I haven't seen a lot in terms of puck control and passing from him). He's also a little small for a guy who wants to play his game right in front of the net (and screen and muck it up). He could be a Ryan Callahan, in terms of hockey stuff, I think. Not as much sandpaper as Ryan, but better wheels.

Still a very good prospect. Wheels for days, and a good wrister. I think JEE might have the higher skill level. I watched some of him from the U18 (there's a shift by shift video of him). He's definitely got a good shot, and he's bigger, too. His skating is not as good, but he strikes me as more of an NHL-style big body player. I think they both have that go-to-the-net type mentality, but JEE is more likely to translate it, IMO.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I like White, but I'm concerned that he might not project as a center (I haven't seen a lot in terms of puck control and passing from him). He's also a little small for a guy who wants to play his game right in front of the net (and screen and muck it up). He could be a Ryan Callahan, in terms of hockey stuff, I think. Not as much sandpaper as Ryan, but better wheels.

Still a very good prospect. Wheels for days, and a good wrister. I think JEE might have the higher skill level. I watched some of him from the U18 (there's a shift by shift video of him). He's definitely got a good shot, and he's bigger, too. His skating is not as good, but he strikes me as more of an NHL-style big body player. I think they both have that go-to-the-net type mentality, but JEE is more likely to translate it, IMO.

White's game screams center in my opinion. If you have a true 200 ft game like his at age 18, you don't get moved to wing. If you want flashy hands, he probably isn't your type of guy though and I think a lot of people will question his offensive upside (sound like a familiar conversation?). You aren't alone in that criticism. The thing I like about White is that he missed serious development time with Mono earlier in the year. He may have even more untapped upside than we think.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
White's game screams center in my opinion. If you have a true 200 ft game like his at age 18, you don't get moved to wing. If you want flashy hands, he probably isn't your type of guy though and I think a lot of people will question his offensive upside (sound like a familiar conversation?). You aren't alone in that criticism. The thing I like about White is that he missed serious development time with Mono earlier in the year. He may have even more untapped upside than we think.
I mean, don't get me wrong. I really liked his game at the U-18s. I would be fine with the Wings drafting him. But I'm not sure he's the missing piece for the Wings, which I take to be a high skill centerman who can play PP.

Eriksson-Ek gives you a bit more skill, more size. But he's a bit slower (but not slow! White is just that fast), not as good defensively, and not as physically developed. I think White has a higher floor, but Eriksson-Ek might have a bit higher upside.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Winnipeg voting has Svechnikov at 23 votes with the closest at 3 votes. So, he'll be gone. Ottawa then us. I'm not sure who Ottawa will take. I read through their draft thread. Pretty vague. I'd guess Ericsson-Ek. But who knows.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
It is still early, but it looks like Ottawa fans are leaning Boeser. Man I don't know who I would go with after that. Kylington, Chabot, Zboril, and White would all still be available. Good problem to have I guess. I would probably vote for one of Kylington or Chabot, but I still think White has a very bright future.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Yeah Boeser has 7 votes. Closest is 3. Looks like it'll be a forward anyways.

For a team needing defence more than forwards the draft has worked out ok for Detroit. Only 4 D men taken. Lots of options. Ideally, Holland can waive his wand and come out of this with Sprong and Killington but I'm kind of leaning towards Chabot. I'm assuming he's the best Dman available at the pick. But I'll wait til I hear more opinions tomorrow before voting.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Shout out and stealing this idea that was never followed through by Candy Canes. Thought it would be interesting to try it again as I liked the idea originally. Also a chance to change history if you voted in the last go round. Trying to make it through the entire first round before the draft.

Currently on the clock: Detroit (Your pick has been made)

Rules:

I will be making posts on teams main forums, so look out for yours when your team is up to pick! When the team is up to pick, the fans of that team will post their player they want drafted with that pick. After about 24 hours at 8:00 AM (Pacific) the player that was said the most on the forum will be the team's selection! If a tie breaker happens to be needed I will give that team extra time until the next vote is cast.

-You as a voter, can only vote once.
-You can only select one player.
-Of course like a real draft, once a player is selected they can not be drafted again.
-Please make your pick clear and separate your commentary where possible.
-Thanks for participating.

The entire mock will be updated on the Mock Board section under KOTR's Fan Base Mock Draft.

1-EDMONTON=Connor McDavid
2-BUFFALO=Jack Eichel
3-ARIZONA=Dylan Strome
4-TORONTO=Noah Hanifin
5-CAROLINA=Mitch Marner
6-NEW JERSEY=Matthew Barzal
7-PHILLY=Ivan Provorov
8-COLUMBUS=Zach Werenski
9-SAN JOSE=Pavel Zacha
10-COLORADO=Lawson Crouse
11-FLORIDA=Mikko Rantanen
12-DALLAS=Kyle Connor
13-LA=Timo Meier
14-BOSTON=Travis Konecny
15-CALGARY=Nick Merkley
16-EDMONTON=Jeremy Roy
17-WINNIPEG=Evgeni Svechnikov
18-OTTAWA=Brock Boeser
19-DETROIT=Thomas Chabot
20-MINNESOTA
21-BUFFALO
22-WASHINGTON
23-VANCOUVER
24-TORONTO
25-WINNIPEG
26-MONTREAL
27-ANAHEIM
28-TAMPA BAY
29-PHILLY
30-ARIZONA

Last edited:

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Trying to follow this idea through the first round.

Please make your pick clear i.e.:

McDavid

Commentary can go under it like this.

Thanks again for participating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad