Kotkaniemi vs Puljujarvi?

Kotkaniemi vs Puljujarvi

• Total voters

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Two finnish U23 players top 4 at the draft, posting similar number this season (point wise). Two big guy. Both kinda have been disappointing compared to the hype surrounding them at their draft.

Who do you take on your team going forward?

2020-2021
Puljujarvi:
22GP6G3A9P
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Kotkaniemi:
20GP2G7A9P
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Career

Puljujarvi:

161GP23G23A46P (0.286pts/game)
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]
Kotkaniemi:
135GP19G32A51P (0.377pts/game)
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Fair point. I would assume they have similar value trade wise though? Maybe slight edge to Kotkaniemi.

Gotta think kotkaniemi still has some fairly good value...still super young. He's 20... most guys aren't playing in the NHL at that age. Barkov only put up a .5 ppg in his second year. Kotka putting up about that now, but in his 3rd year. I'd give it this season and even next season before I'd consider his value to start tanking.

Doubt poolparty has much at all.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Gotta think kotkaniemi still has some fairly good value...still super young. He's 20... most guys aren't playing in the NHL at that age. Barkov only put up a .5 ppg in his second year. Kotka putting up about that now, but in his 3rd year. I'd give it this season and even next season before I'd consider his value to start tanking.

Doubt poolparty has much at all.

Strangely, I think Poolparty's value is only going up. To me he looks quite good this year. I don't really see a value gap between him and Kotkaniemi. Kotkaniemi is a C but doesn't play defence well enough to consider that added value in my opinion.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Again, Kotkaniemi is two years the younger and is a centre...his value would be a fair bit more than Poolparty...

Being a centre is only added value if you can create value from the position. I would argue that Kotkaniemi is neither a great play driver, or a great defender. I don't see top 6 C potential there, in fact I think he would make an excellent winger if Montreal had better C depth.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Strangely, I think Poolparty's value is only going up. To me he looks quite good this year. I don't really see a value gap between him and Kotkaniemi. Kotkaniemi is a C but doesn't play defence well enough to consider that added value in my opinion.

Poolpartys value is going up. Still not much tho.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
KK has more value but based on the eye test, Pulju looks slightly better right now.

It'll take awhile for Pulju to erase those disappointing seasons

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
KK is the correct choice. He is younger and is a C. Pulju is still disappointing and watching him the last two games against the Leafs you can see he lacks hockey IQ. He has what 8 points and is playing with the best player on the planet?

Could he get better? Sure. Is he playing better than when he first arrived in the league? Sure. The bar wasn't exactly set high.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Being a centre is only added value if you can create value from the position.

I wish more people would realize this. Being a center isn’t just inherently more valuable. A better player is still a better player.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Good, but in this case Kotkaniemi is better all over the board, plays the better position and is younger.

It’s like you just quoted me without even reading what I said

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
It depends who you ask. Oiler fans and anti-Hab (Leafs, Sens) fans will pick Puljujarvi, while everyone else would pick Kotkaniemi.

Reactions: sharks9 and Mrb1p

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
I keep the winger for the Oilers. No problem with Kotkaniemi winning the poll though, I'd say he's more valuable right now.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Theres value attached to position

Only if a center is actually good at the things that you think makes a center more valuable. It’s also not exactly fair to say that all centers have the same responsibilities. Lots of centers have wingers that take on extra defensive responsibilities. It also ignores that a winger might bring extra value from good play on the forecheck or pressuring defensemen at the point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad