Value of: Kotkaniemi vs Mittelstadt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blaine8797

Nov 26, 2018
I wouldn't trade Kotka for two middlestadts. Middlestadt is two years older with worse AHL numbers and NHL numbers. Kotka still projects as a complete top line center.
If you want me to be honest I’m not sure he’s ever projected top line nhl center

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Looks like someone's never ventured into a Quinn Hughes / Cale Makar thread.

You should stop with the idiotic VAN trolling other team players.

Makar is only 12 months older and superior playing fewer games. EP was 18 months older than Dahlin. Ignoring that Dahlin played a more difficult position and worse team, he should have been ROY.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Maybe it has to do with Kotkaniemi making the NHL at 18 years old and 1 month?

But he was good enough to be a 34 points 3rd line center, positive Corsi % and GF% at 18?

Ive already stated i believe Kotka is the better player and has higher potential, but Mittelstadt is not that far off, I'm going to say this the WC U20 comparison was just to show that when he went, he was there for a reason, he literally has 3 less assists than Kotka in the NHL in 1 less game, is that "way better" not really, and Kotka hasn't even scored in the AHL yet, like he can score 17 goals in 115 NHL games, but can't score 1 goal in 11 games?

Ill say this i believe Kotka can reach a 55-65 point 2 way C he'll probably need a shooter on his line.

Mittelstadt can reach 50-60 point decent not great defensive game, 2 C

Kotka with the right linemates may reach 70 points once or twice, but i honestly dont see him being a PPG top line C

This is coming from a Flames fan who tries to watch every team at least 10-15 times most teams i watch 30+ times and 4 teams ive watched almost all of their games, i enjoy watching the game not the team, but i will always bet on the over dog

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Ive already stated i believe Kotka is the better player and has higher potential, but Mittelstadt is not that far off, I'm going to say this the WC U20 comparison was just to show that when he went, he was there for a reason, he literally has 3 less assists than Kotka in the NHL in 1 less game, is that "way better" not really, and Kotka hasn't even scored in the AHL yet, like he can score 17 goals in 115 NHL games, but can't score 1 goal in 11 games?

Ill say this i believe Kotka can reach a 55-65 point 2 way C he'll probably need a shooter on his line.

Mittelstadt can reach 50-60 point decent not great defensive game, 2 C

Kotka with the right linemates may reach 70 points once or twice, but i honestly dont see him being a PPG top line C

This is coming from a Flames fan who tries to watch every team at least 10-15 times most teams i watch 30+ times and 4 teams ive watched almost all of their games, i enjoy watching the game not the team, but i will always bet on the over dog

Why would you categorize a 19 years, 3rd overall pick as a 55-65 points? He certainly has the skillset to be a consistent PPG player in his prime. I don’t know much about Mittelstadt so I won’t comment on his ceiling but I know for sure Kotkaniemi can get there. 55-65 points center is probably his floor at this point.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Both guys have under-performed so far, but then again, they're both very raw prospects.
Their value is fairly similar. If anyone thinks different they're being a homer. They're a draft year apart, neither has taken a clear step over the other in terms of their NHL capabilities.

I tend to lean towards Kotkeniemi, but I think both of them can be great players. This summer will mean a lot to both guys in getting some more confidence and getting another year stronger.

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
Kotkaniemi easily.
upload_2020-2-27_12-3-42.png

upload_2020-2-27_12-4-0.png

Kotka at least has had one season of being a quality NHLer and he was a strong play driver according to his possession metrics. Unfortunately, he took a steep dropoff in his sophomore season. On the other hand, Mittelstadt has been a negative even strength player in both of his seasons. So I wouldn't certainly believe the player drafted higher and who have posted a season of being a good player would have more value. Kotka is also younger.

You're saying you'd rather keep a player whos obviously started falling off the cliff after his 1st minorly good season in the NHL so his development can stall rather than have him playing against players in his league that he doesn't get creamed by? Kotka wasn't ready and Montreal has already destr oyed their chances of him becoming a first line C, he was rushed and his playstyle should of been in the WC he would of learned more there than when he's getting outplayed 85% of the time in the NHL
I wouldn't say he was rushed considering Kotkaniemi drove possession last season well. He had a good rookie season despite being the youngest player in the league. He played last season because he proved to be ready. Unfortunately, Kotkaniemi dealt with injuries like for example, after last season he underwent arthroscopic knee surgery and dealt with groin issues this season. All of those factors along with losing confidence (it seems that he is a lot less confident on the ice than when he started out his career) contributed to Kotka regressing. Point is Kotkaniemi was never rush since he proved that he was ready for the NHL in his rookie season, but injuries have held him back it seems. Although I do think he should have been sent down to the AHL earlier this season, and it was for Montreal to keep in the NHL as long as they did considering his performance in his sophomore season.

Reactions: HabsMD97
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad