Kotkaniemi finishes the season with 27 points in 79 games.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
!NEWS FLASH!

Mediocre player is very average!

MTL won this by NOT signing him and being able to flip him for a 1st and 3rd. Imagine trading a 1st and 3rd for him now (AND getting that insane contract to boot)?

This was clearly a revenge/spite signing between owners that bypassed all of CAR's scouting + analytical departments.

In a vacuum, i would agree with you, but when you take a step back, the Habs lost price, Weber and danault that same offseason for nothing,

In most cases, losing such peices means that a rebuild is imminent, but the management doubled down at the time and used the compensatory pick from the KK transaction to acquire dvorak who has been mostly vanilla and/or injured during his time there.

In any case, the rebuild started a couple months later when they fired that management and now here we are.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
has he improved his skating or is he still showing flashes of what he could be?

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Yes. I didn't like the pick from the start and Kotkaniemi was incredibly divisive from the moment he was drafted. He spent three seasons with Montreal with no clear signs of improvement and a lot of us were already calling him a bust or a huge disappointment.

That the whole fanbase suddenly turned on him when he was offersheeted is pure fantasy in your head.
it is possible that I just kept running into those guys since I dont really visit the Habs board and as a leafs fan I see alot of arguments going on between fans.

i know all teams have bad fans and its very possible Im letting a small group of people make me believe what I said about KK. If Im really that wrong then I apologize.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
it is possible that I just kept running into those guys since I dont really visit the Habs board and as a leafs fan I see alot of arguments going on between fans.

i know all teams have bad fans and its very possible Im letting a small group of people make me believe what I said about KK. If Im really that wrong then I apologize.

There's almost never going to be a unanimous opinion for a fanbase regarding a player. If we aren't watching the player regularly for ourselves, It really just depends who you talk to to, or what you see online that will shape our perceptions, but it's perceptions formed while only looking at the tip of the iceberg.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Whatever makes you sleep better at night man, keep inventing stuff.
not inventing anything. maybe what Im talking about is from a small group of the fanbase and I thought a bigger part of the fanbase also thought that way.
I seen plenty of arguing that KK had potential to be a 1C and then once he was traded I seen plenty of fans saying hes just a 4C.

maybe you missed these arguments? I dunno what to tell ya there bud

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
its okay it was a long time ago. Im not surprised you forgot alot of the habs fanbase were still saying he had 1C potential then once he was traded or moved on to Carolina he was now just a 4C
There may have been a few Habs fans who thought KK would become a great 1C, but most of us were hoping (not expecting) him to become a good 2C. If we thought Jesperi was going to be great we would have wanted the Canadiens to match the Hurricanes offer sheet. The reality is most of us did not want the Canadiens to match the offer.

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
not inventing anything. maybe what Im talking about is from a small group of the fanbase and I thought a bigger part of the fanbase also thought that way.
I seen plenty of arguing that KK had potential to be a 1C and then once he was traded I seen plenty of fans saying hes just a 4C.

maybe you missed these arguments? I dunno what to tell ya there bud

Are you ever tired of being wrong?

Reactions: viceroy

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
its quite surprising how many top picks that don't work out well. From Nolan Patrick, Yakupv, Gudbranson, Puljujärvi, the list just goes on.
And people keep saying that we have to trust the pro. Pro know much more than us. And fans know nothing.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
That price would be extortionate. He's not rat meat, he's a contributing player (defensively, at least) who has no clear future or present role for the Canes paid slightly on the high side on a contract that will age well.

He won't cost us anything approaching that to move, the problem we have is that we're probably looking to max the cap savings now and retention is entirely off the table (we cannot risk someone else buying him out and tying us to a retention slot for that many years) so we probably end up taking back another contract we'd rather not have, which we'd have to move.

Or...yup. Buyout.

My point was to make the cost so untenable as to be ridiculous and therefore conclude the best option is either to keep him or buyout.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
I mean I remember the camera cutting to THIS lady. She embodied what the entire city of Montreal was thinking when Kotkaniemi was drafted over Brady Tkachuk

Passing over the big strong power-forward with family pedigree for an off the board gamble going 15 spots above his projected position with the 3rd overall pick.

There was not a single happy Habs fan back then, and there sure as shit aren't any now that Brady hits fights and scores 35 goals+ for their rival.

View attachment 854410

View attachment 854412

2cvj4i.gif
yeah I know that's why I asked him to point me to the fans who were happy they picked KK over Tkachuk lol

Reactions: dukeofjive

IronCladCane

Apr 15, 2024
He's played well enough defensively the Canes are probably just gonna peg him in the Jordan Staal role when he retires, he's been very streaky.

Reactions: Finlandia WOAT

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
You made up the fact that Habs fans thought he was a 1C until the offersheet. It's really not that hard to understand.
unless I imagined arguing with Habs fans just a few years ago. some thought he had 1C potential, others thought he was going to be a solid 2C
but once he was traded most thought he was just a 4C.

not sure why you took this so personal.

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
unless I imagined arguing with Habs fans just a few years ago. some thought he had 1C potential, others thought he was going to be a solid 2C
but once he was traded most thought he was just a 4C.

not sure why you took this so personal.

And now you're making up stuff about me taking it personal lmao.

I'm just calling on you out on your bs in this thread lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad