Kotkaniemi finishes the season with 27 points in 79 games.

IronCladCane

Apr 15, 2024
The offer sheet made Trochek expendable. The guy who recorded 64 and 77 points for the Rangers the past 2 seasons for a cap hit of 5.625 million . Plays 20 minutes a night.

Kotkaniemi was much cheaper. 4.82m per year. 805k savings frees up enough cap space for almost an entire ELC.

The production isn't quite at Trocheks level, 43 and 27 points the past 2 seasons but the real benefit is that he only plays 14 minutes a night so that frees up ice time for the good players on the canes to play more.

If anyone has a short memory: this was just from one day.

From the offer sheet week:

The Canes were never going to give Trochek a long term deal into his 30's they reserve that for homegrown stars only pretty much.

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
With 100.6% attendance this year and 20 year lease signed next year, the owner buying nearby buildings to continue his plan, and a FO committed to spending to win I doubt that. Also if QC was ever going to get another team the Yotes wouldn't be going to Utah.
And just a few years ago you had the lowest attendance figure in the league but you have the nerve to mouth off about it now. Montreal never sank to 58% and you go "in 20 years when Montreal moves" lol?

Got nothing against the Canes but your comment was aggressively stupid.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Nashville and Suter comes to mind…

I’ll take your word for it, but I don’t remember anything of the sort. Hell, a quick search on the boards found a perfect topic for Predators fans to air their grievances and…nothing.

Reactions: Tryamw

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
Has any other fanbase been so obsessed over a former player? I mean, I’m sure every fan keeps tabs on former players, but I’ve never seen the long-lasting vitriol for so little slight.

You’d think KK gave Montreal the Tavares/Eichel treatment based on how Habs fans react to him.
All the mockery and the pettiness from the Canes management and fanbase might have something to do with it 😉

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I remember when Habs fans on this site were talking about him as an elite 2-way center and comparing him to Eichel and even Matthews. Good times.
i had a bunch of them gang up on me saying it never happened lol

That's what I remember too. We were thinking 60+110 type numbers. Couple hart trophies,

We hab fans can be so dim, ha ha
all fans do it for their prospects.

Reactions: NoName

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Lol it was a loooot more than 3 days

Regardless of how long you believe it was, there's been very little mocking from the organization and fanbase in a very long time. I believe the last thing from the organizational standpoint was when KK scored in his first game against the Habs, and even then, it was something on Twitter.

Since then, Carolina has moved on. The Montreal organization has moved on. Montreal fans remain glued to KK's statline.

Reactions: cptjeff

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
Regardless of how long you believe it was, there's been very little mocking from the organization and fanbase in a very long time. I believe the last thing from the organizational standpoint was when KK scored in his first game against the Habs, and even then, it was something on Twitter.

Since then, Carolina has moved on. The Montreal organization has moved on. Montreal fans remain glued to KK's statline.

Judging by your post, you would think every habs fan has a bookmarked tab of KK's stats opened at all time.

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
i had a bunch of them gang up on me saying it never happened lol
That’s not what you said. You said the moment he was offer sheeted is when Montreal turned on him, which is false. It was his third season and many of us straight-up called him a bust and absolutely no one suddenly flipped the moment the offer sheet happened.

Reactions: viceroy

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Judging by your post, you would think every habs fan has a bookmarked tab of KK's stats opened at all time.

I mean, they're the ones who decide the main board needs a topic about his statline. Happened last year as well.

It's not like this situation is unique to Montreal fans either. Carolina traded their 7th overall picked player for a worse return than KK got, was endless mocked for the return, and even when Skinner has a poor year in Buffalo, there was no joyous celebration from Hurricanes fans.

Likewise, they more recently traded their Calder-finalist goalie for a terrible return, had Yzerman himself mock the trade, but there's no meticulously bringing up Ned's stats. Everyone moved on.

Reactions: cptjeff

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
Threads like these are why I love hfboards, habs got trashed after the aho fumbling by bargain bin and again after KK signed with Carolina.

I loved how the fan bases made fun of each other.

Now sadly some people get the feels hurt when the shoe drops on the other side.

Oh and to the guy who said mtl would move down south in 20 years, I am so sorry for how hurt this thread made you, I hope tou can recover and be happy again.

Reactions: viceroy

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
That’s not what you said. You said the moment he was offer sheeted is when Montreal turned on him, which is false. It was his third season and many of us straight-up called him a bust and absolutely no one suddenly flipped the moment the offer sheet happened.
didnt say thats the moment they turned on him.thats the moment the potential to be a 1C or 2C ended and he was just a 4C. sorry if u misread what I meant

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
And you’re still wrong. Find a post comparing to Matthews. Good luck with that.
Im pretty sure comparing to Matthews is more so as a joke. habs fans never were saying he would reach that high but alot thought he had and argued he had 1C or 2C potential and he would get there. then once he was acquired by Carolina. every habs fan for the most part that I noticed atleast thought he was just a 4C now.

keep in mind this doesnt count for every habs fan. Im well aware many thought he was a bust before that time. I guess u just didnt have to deal with the fans that thought the way Im talking about.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

When was the last time a top 5 pick signed a revenge motivated (by both the player, who thought he was better than he actually was, and the team who felt slighted by previous actions) offer sheet? 3 years after he was drafted!

The signing crippled our pre season plans of kotkaniemi stepping into the #2 center position after letting danault go. It f***ed us over. Both the canes and kotkaniemi f***ed us over.

In the end it worked out positively. Habs tanked, kickstarted a long overdue rebuild, and Bergevin was fired.

But aside from all of the stupid trolling and pettiness from the hurricanes, this was a dirty move that cost us and I'm glad to see it backfiring. Which it didn't have to until they inked that ridiculous 8 year deal.

They should have signed him for that one year and let him walk

Threads like these are why I love hfboards, habs got trashed after the aho fumbling by bargain bin and again after KK signed with Carolina.

I loved how the fan bases made fun of each other.

Now sadly some people get the feels hurt when the shoe drops on the other side.

Oh and to the guy who said mtl would move down south in 20 years, I am so sorry for how hurt this thread made you, I hope tou can recover and be happy again.
Oh trust me, if kk was putting up 70 points we'd be hearing about it. "Should have matched, got schooled...etc.)

Shit we hear about that with michkov and he hasn't played a game yet

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
It's pretty clear now Carolina did the Habs a favour with the contract and the pick for KK. Basically a re-roll on a busted high pick.

Habs basically did the same for Chicago and Colorado with Dach and Newhook. Obviously not the same salary double shot to the foot though.

Shit happens. Carolina got mad Montreal threw a silly offer sheet out at them. I imagine they've learned from it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad