Rumor: Kostitsyn put on waivers; Heading to KHL?

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Meh, I'm not happy with it either, but I'll get really pissed when there is concrete evidence to show we could have had X player had we only had that extra cap space.

I'm still trying to determine if it is the full $3m, or if it is $3m - $900k. The "league minimum plus $375,000" provision could simply mean for players going to the AHL, but the CBA does say playing "in another professional league." To me that is black and white. If your player, who is under contract, is loaned to any professional league at all then your team is on the hook for his cap hit minus $900k (until the league minimum goes up).

Also, it seems as though if the Club is on the hook for the cap hit then the contract will not be tolled. That would, in effect, mean that Kostitsyn's cap hit would be applied to the Predators for as long as he remains in another professional league, which makes absolutely no sense.

the league minimum plus 375K is designed to give you some cap relief for the person who takes the loaned players place on the roster

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I doubt that would fly with the NHL. That is basically cap circumvention.

As far as mutual termination goes, I'm beginning to think that's not kosher either. Maybe there are certain circumstances that must be met before you can take that route? I dunno.

I actually really like this new CBA rule. No more burying your mistakes in the minors or Europe. Luckily, this will have no effect on us since we don't spend to the cap anyway.

I guess they could have waived him, though if no one picked him up we would be right back here.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
He's signed to play here. Much like Philly paying the Euro team recently for the Swiss player, the KHL team has to pay the Preds X amount of dollars to have him play for their team. The price is $2.1 million dollars if they want him. If they don't want him then we don't let him go and put him on the suspended list for the season for non-compliance to play out the final year of his contract. We shouldn't be bending over backwards to make it work for him. We shouldn't be penalized for the cap or salary hit if he wants to leave. Go and sign overseas but it has to be on our terms, not his.

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
We took very little risk, and he was a pretty good player for us for two years. I'm not eating any crow at all.

Besides, I seem to recall your issues with him were more off the ice issues than anything else. He didn't have any off the ice issues here. So he wants out? That's fine. He seemed discontent with being here, so let him go.

We got all the mileage out of him we needed.

I will say he played well his first year in MTL but then dropped way off in subsequent years. Till contract renewal time. There was a reason he kept only getting one year deals in MTL not just his off ice antics.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
If he is loaned to the KHL, the contract year counts and he becomes a UFA next summer. No different than when Huet was "loaned" to a Swiss team while under contract to the Hawks as far as contract impacts ... the only thing that changed is the cap implications.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
He's signed to play here. Much like Philly paying the Euro team recently for the Swiss player, the KHL team has to pay the Preds X amount of dollars to have him play for their team. The price is $2.1 million dollars if they want him. If they don't want him then we don't let him go and put him on the suspended list for the season for non-compliance to play out the final year of his contract. We shouldn't be bending over backwards to make it work for him. We shouldn't be penalized for the cap or salary hit if he wants to leave. Go and sign overseas but it has to be on our terms, not his.

Whether they pay us or not, his cap hit remains there. I'm not too concerned about it since we aren't losing money, but hey, if they send us a check I'm OK with it.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
**** you poile. this organization is a piece of ****

Chill man, it isn't Poile's fault. Nobody wants a 3 mil player who can't produce and acts like he doesn't want to be here. Im not a fan of what happened because it leaves a bigger hole for us, but there is no need to talk about your organization like that because of what a player wanted.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
If he's willing to take the cap hit, it gives me confidence that he's ready to spend this summer, because it implies $3 mil isn't a big deal

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
If he's willing to take the cap hit, it gives me confidence that he's ready to spend this summer, because it implies $3 mil isn't a big deal

That's a good positive note you pointed out. Hopefully that comes true, too bad we couldn't use that $3 mil though.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I see it differently, unfortunately. $3m (actually $2.1m) is no "big deal" because the team isn't actually spending the money; they are simply taking the cap hit. It tells me that, at best, we were planning on being somewhere in the neighborhood of $3m-$4m below the cap ceiling.

We'll see, though.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I see it differently, unfortunately. $3m (actually $2.1m) is no "big deal" because the team isn't actually spending the money; they are simply taking the cap hit. It tells me that, at best, we were planning on being somewhere in the neighborhood of $3m-$4m below the cap ceiling.

We'll see, though.

My interpretation as well. Hope we're wrong.

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN

We'll see, though.

I see it this way...the $2.1 million cap hit is money saved over the course of the season. At the trade deadline, after SK74 has already played in the KHL and is ineligible to return to the NHL for this season without clearing waivers first, his contract becomes a buffer piece that can be traded to a team at the cap floor that wants to play their youth and maintain the salary floor or to a top of the cap team that wants to trade away a piece and now has the cap space to take back as part of the return. Maybe you give up an extra pick to move it or the equivalent of "future considerations", but it is $2.1 million in useable space at the end of the season if they need it and actual money saved throughout the course of the season...

jlsg

Nov 8, 2006
I think this is more about what's on the ice at game time then cap hits and contracts. Having a player on the ice that doesn't give a crap can be a lot worse then a 3 mil cap hit. There's no doubt in my mind that Poile has tried to move SK, probably since early last year but I don't see a gm in the league that would take that on. Poile came to the conclusion that this team is better without SK74 on the ice so things like what happened on the PK in Edmonton don't happen again.
I think the team is better off and it's worth the cap hit to have him gone. If he had his attitude right we all know the player he can be, but that shipped sailed and so has SK.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I see it this way...the $2.1 million cap hit is money saved over the course of the season. At the trade deadline, after SK74 has already played in the KHL and is ineligible to return to the NHL for this season without clearing waivers first, his contract becomes a buffer piece that can be traded to a team at the cap floor that wants to play their youth and maintain the salary floor or to a top of the cap team that wants to trade away a piece and now has the cap space to take back as part of the return. Maybe you give up an extra pick to move it or the equivalent of "future considerations", but it is $2.1 million in useable space at the end of the season if they need it and actual money saved throughout the course of the season...

That's a good thought. Let's hope that we need to be able to try to move that cap space at the end of the season :yo:

tserberis*

Just to clear the air a bit:

All those Avangard reports are pure BS!

SK is with Nashville for the next year.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Really!

Media asked he replied. No discussion.

well, poile replied in a way that made it sound like it was a done deal, specifically talking about how the Preds would be responsible for his cap hit but not his actual salary

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Heck, I would be excited, we haven't been close to the cap lately. And that would mean we're planning on spending another 10M on salary.

After RFA's are paid, a backup is signed, and the #4 pick gets his payday, I figure we will have about $7m in space ($12.1 now/$1.6 to Spals and Brennen/$1.5 to backup/$2 to #4).

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
@TSNBobMcKenzie
NSH's Sergei Kostistyn also on unconditional waivers but it could be for mutually agreed to termination of contract as opposed to buyout.

Mutual termination would be awesome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad