Rumor: Kostitsyn put on waivers; Heading to KHL?

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
He should have been gone at the trading deadline last year with Erat. He would of have got us a decent return from a playoff team.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Where have I seen this play before???? SK was the laziest player on the team last year.

And people think we should draft Nichuskin:shakehead

Predsfan78

Ambassador
Jul 24, 2010
Nashville
You're using one player to paint a pretty broad stroke...

I don't think that's exactly fair.

Exactly. Why aren't we comparing Nichyshkin to Ovechkin, Malkin or Datsyuk? By similar logic, since they're Russian, shouldn't we expect the same work ethic, talent and dedication?

Where one player is from is not going to determine how they are going to play (in the context of laziness).

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Exactly. Why aren't we comparing Nichyshkin to Ovechkin, Malkin or Datsyuk? By similar logic, since they're Russian, shouldn't we expect the same work ethic, talent and dedication?

Where one player is from is not going to determine how they are going to play (in the context of laziness).
I'm not saying he's lazy because he is Russian. There are plenty of lazy Americans.
The scouts are pretty much are saying Nichuskin is lazy. SK was very lazy both here and Montreal. He always seem to be sleepwalking.

Predsfan78

Ambassador
Jul 24, 2010
Nashville
I'm not saying he's lazy because he is Russian. There are plenty of lazy Americans.
The scouts are pretty much are saying Nichuskin is lazy. SK was very lazy both here and Montreal. He always seem to be sleepwalking.

I see your point. Haven't seen any reports about him being lazy but to be honest I haven't been following him as much since many of us have been zeroing in on Alexander Barkov.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I see your point. Haven't seen any reports about him being lazy but to be honest I haven't been following him as much since many of us have been zeroing in on Alexander Barkov.

I think the reports say "He's awesome when he's on, but he isn't always all there". Some will see that as lazy, some as inconsistent. I don't think even scouts 100% know.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
I wonder if SK will try to push for a buyout, rather than mutual termination? More money for him that way. He may end up saying "buy me out or I'll show up to camp"

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I wonder if SK will try to push for a buyout, rather than mutual termination? More money for him that way. He may end up saying "buy me out or I'll show up to camp"

then poile says "fine, show up, be ready to play"

if he has an 82 game season like this last one will the khl even want him?

Jubal

May 29, 2012
Anyway, I'm not too upset about him leaving because I don't think he wants to be here, so it'll probably be a win/win if we let him go. I don't mind the extra cash if we can use it to bring someone in. As much as I'd like to think we could've added him to a trade deal, it's starting to look like this is the best option, for both parties involved.

I didn't much care for his play this year anyway.

Forsbergforloop

May 30, 2008
Oahu
SK is still a decent player. I think sometimes players like him just fall into our laps despite our plans. He was good enough to take a risk on, but he really doesn't fit the mold of a "Predators player". A Predators player plays an intelligent, humble, hard-working game on every shift. Martin Erat is a Predators player even though he's not on the team anymore. We still have a lot of Predators players.

This could give us the opportunity to use the extra $3 million on a player who could actually be more of a Predators player. Maybe put it towards Horton, who imho is definitely a Predators player.

Thanks to the insight of Brent Peterson, another criteria for a Predators player may soon become size. Predators player :naughty:.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Honestly though, I don't get it. Other than family and familiarity, what is so great about that region of the world?

It's always going to be home. If you had a job in Spain and were offered the opportunity to go back home for the same money would you do it? My guess is you and most other people would.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
SK isnt russian.... hes from belarus, which by the way are two separate countries. There is no connection between SK and Nuchuskin

I was not saying SK is Russian. I was referring to players leaving Nashville for the KHL while under contract. Which I think Nichuskin would do.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I was not saying SK is Russian. I was referring to players leaving Nashville for the KHL while under contract. Which I think Nichuskin would do.

they can no longer do this without permission from their NHL team. the KHL and NHL now honor each others contracts.

he apparently has negotiated his contract with the KHL such that he can come over here this fall

my only concern with him is if he comes over here this fall and isnt ready to make the team and he goes back to Russia, how long will he be obligated to stay?

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
Who cares what the NHL and KHL has agreed on. Why would we force a player to stay here if he wanted to leave for the KHL. It would not do the team any good. It seems to be a common problem we have with players who come from the former "USSR" countries.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Who cares what the NHL and KHL has agreed on. Why would we force a player to stay here if he wanted to leave for the KHL. It would not do the team any good. It seems to be a common problem we have with players who come from the former "USSR" countries.

Your point of view holds no water. common problem for us? Radulov was the only one of Russian descent to do this so I don't see how this is common problem. Have you watched any of the guys who are Russian play in the NHL? Did you ever watch the teams Russia put on the ice before they came to the NHL? These guys played a system that destroyed Canada, the home of hockey. Canadian players turned to cheap shots to take guys out of the lineup to win. Does that make all Canadian players cheap shot artists? Next time you watch Datsyuk, tell me he's lazy or gives up on a play. Larionov was another stud. What about Fetisov. Malkin? He's a lazy player? Not a chance. Radulov, sure, he was lazy defensively. Ovie shows up when he wants a lot of times but when he is there, there is hardly anyone better in the game. Heck, did you ever watch Arnott play and loaf on the ice? Do you label all Canadian players based on his effort or lack thereof?

There are inspired and lazy players from all countries. Some guys play with bigger hearts, some shy away when it counts. You can justify it any way you like and you have the right to your opinion on the matter but I think that opinion the way it's been stated by you is wrong.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
That's great you name 3 or 4 players where are all the others? Dats and Malk are some of the best players in the world. Funny you mention Ovi. How many times has he been mentioned for issues and lack of drive? Hilarious!

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
That's great you name 3 or 4 players where are all the others? Dats and Malk are some of the best players in the world. Funny you mention Ovi. How many times has he been mentioned for issues and lack of drive? Hilarious!
Buddy i am far from racist so you can get off that angle.

While you're at it, why not include the satellite countries of the former USSR. That way you can call Czechs, Slovaks, Latvians, some Germans, and a host of other people lazy. I'm sure Vokoun, Skrastins, Chara all fit your perceptions.

darth5

No!
Mar 28, 2002
Smashville, TN
Can anyone on this board, looking at his recent moves, think GMDP would be willing to let SK walk if he could get takers of any sort for that contract? I think if it is allowed to happen, we have our answer.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
Let's see now.

Tied for the team lead in points with 50 in 2010-2011.
Sixth on the team with 43 points in 2011-2012.
Seventh this year in a very bad year with 15 points, in a weird lockout-shortened season where the whole team kind of sucked.

Yeah, we should totally throw this guy under the bus and be happy about losing him for nothing. Here's a prediction for you - if SK stays in Nashville this upcoming season, he ends in the top four on the team for point production and is a plus player.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Year 1 - SK was dynamite. He was nearly a ppg player down the stretch, and his stats look worse than his play due to the initial 4th line role.

2nd year was up and down but he has great vision and the rare dangerous snipe. Unfortunately a no show in the playoffs.

This year he was truly dreadful.

Should we throw him under the bus? Maybe not. But. His uninspired play, the "backcheck that wasn't", and the ongoing KHL comments is doing it for him.

The margin for error this year is slim. We need to improve. We need our assets to perform. Our offense needs life. The cap is going down significantly. We can't afford an uninspired uninterested forward at 3 million per. I think letting him walk for a year, tolling his deal, an possibly bringing him back in a year is a great possibility. Let him rediscover his desire and passion if that is what he needs ....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad