Post-Game Talk: Koskinen's final start as an Oiler

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
>Koskinen plays

I sleep
I really enjoyed your humour on the Main Board GDT today. I don’t know if anyone else picked up on your invisible ink joke.

Hope you bring your sarcasm game back again.

Now for some cat memes...
CB58C02E-6278-449D-A62B-9B3073D0C830.jpeg
369C47BC-C7E0-4C6E-8ACA-044616E1048D.png
E8CECA22-6E09-453F-AF1B-F741529DBF9C.png

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Even if we're down 0-3, Smith starts game 4. He's been our emotional leader this year and gets every inch (that's what she said).

Did they ever show an overhead view of Chaisson's (non) goal in the 2nd on the PP? From the ice cam, that was a goal.

By far Demko's best game against the Oilers. Behind a good defense, he could be a good goalie.

Playoff time baby!

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Turned it off when it was 1-1 and went golfing
Saw the highlights of Koskinen being Koskinen..yikes
Nothing game but was hoping he’d find some confidence
We had better hope Smith is able to carry the workload
Anyways, time for the playoffs!!

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
This was an important test before the playoffs... How much can we trust Koskinen. Zero.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
How would any of us know that?

This is my big gripe with online randos like us talking like they know what's going on with assistant coaches and skill coaches. There's this weird rolling narrative around which ones are good or bad like you can actually identify the job their doing beyond "is the goaltender playing well" or "is the special team they're running good" (problem being what's coaching and what's personnel?).

What exactly is it with Schwartz that has earned him emnity with the fanbase? Is it the lack of adjustments? Because Koskinen had a glaring hole on his glove side in 18-19 and walked into 19-20 flasing leather all over the place leading to a .917 save percentage. Mike Smith hasn't turned a puck over leading to a goal against all year AFAIR. I've seen lots of posts about Schwartz but never anything resembling an actual, constructive criticism about what he is or isn't doing. Not once.

And I mean, I'm not invested either way. I just don't know.
Lol that fairs I understand. But, maybe this isn't Schwartz fault? It could be on Koski. His mental game and glove hand have been weak since he arrived in Edmonton. I'm hoping I'm not the only one who noticed this?

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Even if we're down 0-3, Smith starts game 4. He's been our emotional leader this year and gets every inch (that's what she said).

Did they ever show an overhead view of Chaisson's (non) goal in the 2nd on the PP? From the ice cam, that was a goal.

By far Demko's best game against the Oilers. Behind a good defense, he could be a good goalie.

Playoff time baby!

I agree they ride Smith. My major worry is he's 40 what if he gets hurt. We got thst sieve Koskinen sitting on the bench.

I'm old enough to remember ty Conklin costing us a cup because he was sitting as rolosons backup and we blue a 3 1 lead game one vs canes.

I'm very concerned if Smith goes down so go our chances with Koskinen in goal.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Was less sad seeing Koskinen's performance

and more sad about knowing Bouchard won't be in our playoff 6D when he's one of our better ones.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
View attachment 434390 No, this.

for you young uns, this car was famous for exploding of it got rear ended. Many law suits and sadly, people perished. This is the Koskinen if he was a car.
View attachment 434390

For the record, the Ford pinto got a shitty rap because a pretty prom queen of a well off family of lawyers died in it. Every single subcompact vehicle at the time, and many vehicles of other classes had (and in some cases HAVE) the same problem.

"Perhaps the most illuminating data comes from NHTSA fatality rates per million vehicles for 1975 and 1976. In the published chart, the Pinto is responsible for 298 deaths per million cars in 1975, making it on par with the Chevrolet Vega (288) and Datsun 510 (294), but considerably safer than the Datsun 1200/210 (392), the Toyota Corolla (333) and the VW Beetle (378)."
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2017/10/17/misunderstood-cars-the-ford-pinto
Was the pinto a firey death trap? Absolutely. But so was every car on the road.

Lots of vehicles are still like this today, actually. Most prevalent example I'd give is are Jeep Cherokees, Wranglers, and Liberties.

Jeep drivers still dying in gas tank fires 18 months into recall

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Missed this one and seems like not much was missed.

Looking at the highlights, there has to be some growing concern about Koskinen. I think a lot of you guys are way too hard on him generally but the last 3 starts?.... Not good, not good at all. Unless the Oilers are up 3-0 in the series and want to give Koskinen a token start, they're going to have to go full Smith in the playoffs.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Missed this one and seems like not much was missed.

Looking at the highlights, there has to be some growing concern about Koskinen. I think a lot of you guys are way too hard on him generally but the last 3 starts?.... Not good, not good at all. Unless the Oilers are up 3-0 in the series and want to give Koskinen a token start, they're going to have to go full Smith in the playoffs.
Even up 3-0 I'd start Smith.

Koskinen is like a self-fulfilling prophecy. People say he sucks and he ends up sucking.

Reactions: Duke74 and frag2

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Canucks sure seemed happy every time they got an easy goal on him. Meant something to them. Also these games must mean something if we still dressed our stars. How is this getting anyone ready for the playoffs? It means nothing in the standings but it does still have meaning.

It means nothing, outside of Koskinen's shattered confidence but it was already trending that way prior to this game.

In any event, just like most teams, if your #1 goes down you're in tough.

Last edited:

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
Kosk is in a dark place. People are way to hard on goalies. Guessing he's done here, but he provided some fine goaltending at times.

Reactions: Laodongxi

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Kosk is in a dark place. People are way to hard on goalies. Guessing he's done here, but he provided some fine goaltending at times.

Some fine goaltending from Koskinen, yes. Mostly shit goaltending. And not a lot of good goaltending.

Reactions: ZenOil

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Lol that fairs I understand. But, maybe this isn't Schwartz fault? It could be on Koski. His mental game and glove hand have been weak since he arrived in Edmonton. I'm hoping I'm not the only one who noticed this?

Koskinen is fine until he lets in a bad goal. Then everything just snowballs and every shot goes in. That being said, it’s time to take him behind the shed and put him out of his misery. I don’t think the players have any confidence left in him.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I filles kn Kosko as a backup next year. I have to ocerthink that now. imagine one game change it all. Because of his weakness comes to apparent.

Can he be butied? BecauE he cant be traded. Who wants him?? He can be bought out. Its a low cost. Tell Seattle to take him and Neal for a 1st?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The buyout on Koskinen is 1.5M x 2. Saves us 3M this year, costs us 1.5M next year.

Or we can farm him next year and save a little over 1M and have nothing on the books when we will need every penny with JP and Nurse coming up for new deals.

I can’t see anyone taking that sieve in a trade.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
The buyout on Koskinen is 1.5M x 2. Saves us 3M this year, costs us 1.5M next year.

Or we can farm him next year and save a little over 1M and have nothing on the books when we will need every penny with JP and Nurse coming up for new deals.

I can’t see anyone taking that sieve in a trade.
Maybe they can loan him to a European league like the Blackhawks did with Cristobal Huet. I don't know if that's still allowed, though.

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
I know that Koskinen is not great but this loss isn't on him in my opinion...sure this last goal is looking ugly as f*** but it was also a bad bounce...and yes his glove hand is not very good but the other goals weren't as bad.
I remember when everyone was shitting on Eberle und then later on Talbot and both are doing fine in different situations/teams.

Why is nobody talking about the controller disconnected by McD on the first goal after his pass (while this was a must shot situation by the way) rocketed through Drai and Chiasson.
He could have stopped the goal scorer without doing much with his speed...he was in front of him at that time.
I dont like scapegoating while giving superstars a pass on every failure...yes I know McD deserve it to be not the culprit but common...

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
How would any of us know that?

This is my big gripe with online randos like us talking like they know what's going on with assistant coaches and skill coaches. There's this weird rolling narrative around which ones are good or bad like you can actually identify the job their doing beyond "is the goaltender playing well" or "is the special team they're running good" (problem being what's coaching and what's personnel?).

What exactly is it with Schwartz that has earned him emnity with the fanbase? Is it the lack of adjustments? Because Koskinen had a glaring hole on his glove side in 18-19 and walked into 19-20 flasing leather all over the place leading to a .917 save percentage. Mike Smith hasn't turned a puck over leading to a goal against all year AFAIR. I've seen lots of posts about Schwartz but never anything resembling an actual, constructive criticism about what he is or isn't doing. Not once.

And I mean, I'm not invested either way. I just don't know.

I think you may be glossing over and not acknowledging what folks have posted about Schwartz. Every single goalie that has been under him has suffered the same same problems. Looking small, poor glove hand, first shot on goal, over-committing. Ranford had fixed Scrivens glove positioning and, under Schwartz- f’d it up. Talbot had a horrible first year- and, before his MVP-esque season- went outside of the organization to train. His crappy season after- back to Schwartz. He leaves the organization and has been pretty solid. Smith- same story. Having his MVP season going to outside coaching who fixed his stance to free up his quick hands. Also worked on staying upright vs on his belly. Meanwhile- Kosko has similar Schwartz problems- super predictable. I predict the same flaws will surface in the next goalie through here (unless he gets outside coaching as well)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad