Post-Game Talk: Koskinen's final start as an Oiler

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Didn’t they mutually terminate the contract then?
He went to the Swiss league for two years, and the Blackhawks paid him his NHL salary.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/blackhawks-huet-to-be-loaned-to-swiss-team-reports-1.966413

Edit: Daly made a comment at the time that this was the same as sending him to the AHL. iirc players buried in the minors had their full cap hit removed back in 2010, so it wouldn't work for Koskinen. The Oilers would only get $1.125M in relief now as you said earlier.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The biggest problem they have is their bottom 6 is massively overpaid. That cap will come off but will then be spent on the young players (at least they should be worth it).

I’m also not convinced that a team with Hughes as their best D man is going far. It’d be like Barrie being our best D and expecting a cup. Juolevi is super underwhelming, Rathbone seems like he could be a top 4 guy but I don’t see a prime Edler replacement, which they absolutely will need.

True but I wonder how good the Oiler D really is in comparison--I would say "better" but the question is by how much? These upcoming playoffs should answer the question regarding how many D-men the club has that are truly top 4 or have the potential to be long term top 4. It's going to be fun to watch--looking forward to it.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
He went to the Swiss league for two years, and the Blackhawks paid him his NHL salary.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/blackhawks-huet-to-be-loaned-to-swiss-team-reports-1.966413

Edit: Daly made a comment at the time that this was the same as sending him to the AHL. iirc players buried in the minors had their full cap hit removed back in 2010, so it wouldn't work for Koskinen. The Oilers would only get $1.125M in relief now as you said earlier.

Wish we could turn back the clock.

Reactions: Del Preston

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I was hopeful that Koskinen was building confidence and consistency back, because Koskinen from last season would be a great #2. You go with the dynamic goalie in Smith who is also putting up great stats, but if things fall apart you got this steady, simple goalie to calm things down. But he's just an on-and-off goalie now and that's just about the worst thing a goalie can be.
We tried to tell you pro-Koski supporters this when they signed him.:D

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I can’t believe the excuse machine for some that comes out after Koskinen has yet another one of his bad games. Goals are always on someone else. Never Mikko.

He consistently lets in the high glove shot and opposing players target this weakness.

He consistently lets goals in bunches.

He consistently lets in the first shot of the game.

He consistently has pucks go straight through him.

He is one of these monster goalies who relies on positioning and size to stop pucks. These goalies all have a short shelf life and are never “great”.

He has form issues, he is relatively slow to react in compare to a sheer athletic goalie like Smith and after seeing a bevy of shots go in in rapid succession he seems to have a major problem in confidence.

I can’t believe Koskinen comes back next year for any other reason than the team seems to play nervous in front of him.

It’s time to move on from him.

Everybody has favorite players, but Kosko’s Kult is more dedicated than the normal fanboy. Not sure I’ve ever seen such an underwhelming player get such unconditional love.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Just watching the Minnesota/Vegas game. Watching Talbot in particular. He has fixed the Dusty habits in his game- stays upright, his glove position is better, his up-down is quicker. I don’t see the “stay on your knees” that Schwartz loves. Man we need a new goalie coach bad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad