Koskinen Contract: good deal or overpayment?

Koskinen Contract

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Man, I hate when people pile on the Oilers but why the hell are they paying an unproven 30 year old this type of money and term.
It’s like not having enough money to retire and going to Vegas and putting all your savings on Red 30 on the roulette wheel.
It could work....

Agree with all of this.

A really strange signing by the Oilers and I like Koskinen more than most I think.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
Rushed deal for sure, but compared to Talbot acceptable (I mean same money considering rising cap and arguably he's (Koskinen) been performing better).

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I really like Koskinen, but I think its too rich too soon. He has been stellar for years in The KHL and National team, but 3,5 months on a 1A/1B tandem is too Small of a sample to give out such a contract. If I was the one negotiating, I`d offer a 2,5-3M/3yrs max. Even better - wait until spring. I just dont understand the rush signing him.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Its not that its bad or good, but just a plain overpay. He has no leverage in this situation so why give him those $ or that term...

somebody

Nov 2, 2006
Good goalie, bad contract. I would have given him something like 2 years, 3M per year. He's 31, he can decline basically any day now.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Its an awful contract. Its WAY too much money, too many years, and entirely unnecessary. Its not like they were in danger of losing him or anything. No leverage whatsoever, just makes no sense at all.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Chia: We want to resign your guy. I was thinking 3 year contract. What will it take?

Agent: hrmm....4.5M$ sound ok, or too much?

Chia: 4.5M$ AAV?

Agent: No no! 4.5m for 3 ye......um *clears throat* yeah sorry. 4.5M AAV....?

Chia: Done! Sign here...

Is this how it went? Serious question..

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
The deal should be 1 year 4,5 million Chia is just playing NHL 19 to much and has easy in trade settings

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I really like Koskinen, but I think its too rich too soon. He has been stellar for years in The KHL and National team, but 3,5 months on a 1A/1B tandem is too Small of a sample to give out such a contract. If I was the one negotiating, I`d offer a 2,5-3M/3yrs max. Even better - wait until spring. I just dont understand the rush signing him.

He would never accept that low from the Oilers though when he can easily find as much elsewhere in the NHL or even back in the KHL. It's 4.5 for a reason but I agree that Edmonton is taking a risk.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Chiarelli always has done a terrible job of negotiating extensions. Generally overpays half a million to one million. This is worse.

He seems to have a large family as well.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Well right now i have to vote for bad.

Could he live up to it? Sure. But it's a big gamble as his body of work in the NHL is limited to say the least.

I see it as a panic move to not end up without a goalie next summer. Talbot seems to be moving on, Howard wants to stay in DET, no cap space for Bobrovsky, Lehner probably stays in NYI after the success he's having, Smith is old so that leaves us with..

Varlamov, Elliott and Neuvirth ? 2 of those guys can't stay healthy and Varlamov is just one goalie. If Koskinen went somewhere else in FA they could've ended up rolling with a goalie who is seen as a career backup.

Unfortunately, Koskinen might turn out just that too in the end. Watch them sign a guy like McElhinney who eventually becomes the #1 :laugh:

Hoping for the best of course. Always nice to see Finnish players stick around.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
"What? The Oilers signed someone to a deal? f*** chia, massive f***ing overpay, idiot gm, f*** f*** f***!

Alright, now let's see who he signed and for how much.":sarcasm:

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
It seems a little high and a little premature all things considered, but it’s far too early to tell.

Goalies can maintain their game well into their 30’s. If he can continue to be a 1B for the life of the deal it’s not bad.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
At this point Katz is the f***ing moron and Chia is just riding this never ending wave of incompetence. Katz is a complete idiot.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Oilers had no advantage going into this. Who else can play goal for them? It's not ideal but I don't think they had another play here outside of a trade, and they have precious few assets to work with as it is.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I think Koskinen will play up to the standards of his contract and it will end up being a good enough deal/signing. Of course with this small sample size it looks risky to some.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Awful.

If this was 3 or so, It would have been ok. but to more than double a guys salary based on a mediocre 30 games?

yikes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad