Koskinen Contract: good deal or overpayment?

Koskinen Contract

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Bit of a debate amongst Oiler fans and media right now, where does HF weigh in? Is Koskinen a starting goaltender?

xkyy3Sc.png

Dgctly5.png

DxeIp6kU8AA4IT0.png

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Could be good, could be bad. You don't take this kind of risks with a starter.

It's already on the Viktor Fasth way. Hot start, then trending down like many new goalies do.

Fasth was out of the league after 63 games in 3 years.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Chia really shows good leadership with the signing. You have to have conviction and go for it

Good job! Keep it up!

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Big time gamble. He's shown flashes in his 27 NHL games since 2011. But many a goalie that amounted to nothing or just a backup has been a god for a month.

Just not what you hope the team would be gambling on for years 2, 3 and 4 of McDavid's 8 year deal. It's a pretty damn important position. And the worst part is, there is a lot of season left they could have used to make a more educated decision. The overconfidence our management group has has not waned one bit.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Just bad. Even if he breaks out and somehow becomes an amazing starter due to sheer luck, its still a bad deal given what he is. And man, if he can't handle the starters load, Edmonton is screwed.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Whenever a goalie signs a UFA deal for ~3-4.5M, it's clear that the team is rolling the dice and hoping for the best (e.g. Reimer, Neuvirth, Mason, Elliott, Hutton, etc). If they were a clear legitimate starter, they'd be getting ~5-6M+.

In saying that, there doesn't seem to be any reason for Koskinen to get on the high-end of the "roll the dice" range. If Neuvirth, Elliott, Hutton, etc are ate ~2.75M, then Koskinen should be around that or even lower.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Just utter, utter mismanagement, even if the gamble turns out to be correct.

I'm sorry, Oilers fans.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Whenever a goalie signs a UFA deal for ~3-4.5M, it's clear that the team is rolling the dice and hoping for the best (e.g. Reimer, Neuvirth, Mason, Elliott, Hutton, etc). If they were a clear legitimate starter, they'd be getting ~5-6M+.

In saying that, there doesn't seem to be any reason for Koskinen to get on the high-end of the "roll the dice" range. If Neuvirth, Elliott, Hutton, etc are ate ~2.75M, then Koskinen should be around that or even lower.

Pretty much sums it up. I guess things are a bit different with Koskinen given that he was a pretty good goalie in the KHL and would get paid there no matter what. Guys like Hutton, Elliott, and etc don't have a track record there and while they would certainly be able to get a contract in the KHL I doubt they could use it as leverage like Koskinen most likely did.

That being said, this is a pretty big gamble. The goalie market has been so wild in the last few seasons that you see guys get paid quite a bit for very small sample size. If I'm the Oilers I don't think I do this deal, we've seen these backfire more often than not. I would've rather given him a 1 year deal (even if would be higher salary) just to aleviate the risk of having to pay the guy if he can't keep up the pace.

Can't overlook the "potential" that this could be a great deal though... Just very unlikely and most importantly unecessarily risky. I mean the Oilers could've given up not much and acquired a Craig Anderson type of guy who only has a year left.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Well I guess that Chia didn't decide to do this all on his own so Oilers being Oilers I guess.. The years change but management stays the same.

Reactions: Snowman

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Chiarelli is desperately praying for another Tim Thomas. I think Thonas' original extension was only $1 million per year however...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad