Proposal: Kopitar to the Avs

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I don't think Blake will ever move Kopitar, but it would take Jost and Ottawa's 1st at least.

Reactions: deaderhead28

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
LAK will pass.

He might be 31 and has $53M remaining on his deal with $10M AAV with 5.5 years remaining, but still a very good player. Needs to waive his NMC which is unlikely, so this player will never be a consideration.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Man, imagine Kopitar playing SECOND line center behind MacKinnon. That would be just unfair :laugh:

I don't think I'd be able to put together a fair trade here, but the Avs certainly have all the right parts for it. Have to imagine they'd keep Makar as they need the D, but everything else including OTT's 1st would have to be on the table.

Reactions: deaderhead28

Tit

Toast and jam
Sep 23, 2018
Well that would certainly jolt the kings into the rebuild.
With no retention, I just don't think a deal is there to be made where both sides like it.
The Avs are probably trying desperately to make a move similar to this, though, for a legit 2nd C.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Good lord, this is terrible. A typical quantity for quality proposal that HF is infamous for.

It would take something like:

Makar + Colorado 1st + Jost

Or

Ottawa 1st + Timmins + Jost

No farting around with mediocre picks and prospects. Not for a player as good as Kopitar.

Do you realize how many actual real life trades that are quantity for quality? I'll name just a few from the past few months. Karlsson to SJS. Pacioretty to Vegas. Skinner to Buffalo. and arguably O'Reilly to STL.

And you do know that Colorado would never do this right? Teams that are heading towards a rebuild almost always have to sell quality for quantity. LAK would be smart to hang on the Kopitar Doughty and Quick, but would be smart to consider dealing Carter, Brown, Muzzin, Martinez, Phanefu, possibly Kovalchuk, and possibly Toffoli for the best deals they could get. Its time to rebuild in LA, but the good thing is if you can land top 3 picks, rebuilds take quick nowadays, especially if you have Doughty and Kopitar already there.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Do you realize how many actual real life trades that are quantity for quality? I'll name just a few from the past few months. Karlsson to SJS. Pacioretty to Vegas. Skinner to Buffalo. and arguably O'Reilly to STL.

And you do know that Colorado would never do this right? Teams that are heading towards a rebuild almost always have to sell quality for quantity. LAK would be smart to hang on the Kopitar Doughty and Quick, but would be smart to consider dealing Carter, Brown, Muzzin, Martinez, Phanefu, possibly Kovalchuk, and possibly Toffoli for the best deals they could get. Its time to rebuild in LA, but the good thing is if you can land top 3 picks, rebuilds take quick nowadays, especially if you have Doughty and Kopitar already there.

I think(Would hope) Colorado would jump at the chance to have one of, if not the very best 1-2 Center punch in the league for the next few years.

Yeah we give up a lot but that's what it would take. Every example you provided of quantity trades recently were situations where the players wanted out and the teams were forced to take the best deal available. Not to mention they were all upcoming UFAs as well with the exception of ROR. That's not going to be the case with LA and Kopitar. He has a number of years left on his deal and the Kings/Kopitar have no desire for a trade to take place.

Any team acquiring him would have to pay a hefty price to get him. The Avs are one of the few teams in the league in a position where we can afford to give up that high value. We have two A-level prospects in Timmins and Makar, as well as another likely A-level prospect coming from Ottawa's own 1st round pick. And we have a number of young NHL players with upside. And our biggest hole on the team by far is a legit 2C. Kopitar would be one of the very best 2Cs in the NHL. This kind of trade turns the Avs into contenders almost overnight.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Good lord, this is terrible. A typical quantity for quality proposal that HF is infamous for.

It would take something like:

Makar + Colorado 1st + Jost

Or

Ottawa 1st + Timmins + Jost

No farting around with mediocre picks and prospects. Not for a player as good as Kopitar.

HF always overestimates the return. It wouldn't take that much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad