Value of: Kopitar to Montreal

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Again, can Kopitar play LHD? Why are the Habs trading for a C?

Depends on how you see the present and future.

- Are you happy with Danault, Domi, and the kids at center today and you think they will be dominate in the future? So this is why you say no to Kopitar?

- What LHD are you looking for? A LH Karlsson or a Hedman type? What LHD do you think is what we need and is available?

- If you have faith in the future of our kids at center, why don't you have faith in Romanov, Norlinder, Harris, Struble on the LD side?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
who do you consider your core ? I figgured it was domi drouin gallagher weber petry price ? thats half

Weber is the oldest at 34 and his window don't fit the habs future window. The Habs are full of youth and our core is not established yet. If things go well and if it was up to me, I would have Price, Gallagher, Petry leading the youth... Domi, Drouin, Kotkaniemi, Caufield, Poehling, Suzuki, Mete, Romanov, Norlinder.

Sorry but we are far from being an old team.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You people come here and expect the Habs to trade away some of our futures for the 32 year old Kopitar where our team is not ready to go all in yet? The least you can do is come to the Bell Center, buy a hot dog, and watch our team play!

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I believe the Habs may be willing to throw Suzuki or Poehling in a trade involving Kopitar. The issue is this contract, don't get me wrong I like Kopitar (a lot) BUT as I always mention about trades involving Price, this kind of contact is so hard to move in a cap constrained world, i.e. in exchange MTL would need to send cap back (e.g. Alzner), which would increase the value they have to send to LA, or put players such as Byron/Lekhonen/Weal in the deal, which LA fans would value close to 0 here.

If I put myself in LA fans shoes I would want a 1st, a top prospect, a serviceable player (kind of Pacioretty value, not as good but cheaper and younger at the time of trade), i.e. 1st + Poehling + Byron (MTL would need to add Alzner in the deal to keep flexibility)

I really don't see that happening in terms of cap. 10m for Kopitar, 10m for Price, 8m for Weber. As MTL I do not want to put more than a third of the cap on three players.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
You people come here and expect the Habs to trade away some of our futures for the 32 year old Kopitar where our team is not ready to go all in yet? The least you can do is come to the Bell Center, buy a hot dog, and watch our team play!

Kopitar is very good and be a mentor to MTL young guys. Domi is good but not a pure experienced center, while Danault is a top 2way forward, but not an elite center. For me the issue is the cap tied with Kopitar, which I am not sure can be solved.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Kopitar is very good and be a mentor to MTL young guys. Domi is good but not a pure experienced center, while Danault is a top 2way forward, but not an elite center. For me the issue is the cap tied with Kopitar, which I am not sure can be solved.

Alzner and a guy like Lehkonen needs to go the other way just to make the money work. Rest of the trade/value is up to debate

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I'm OK with the idea of adding Kopitar today or in the future. But the price to acquire would be too steep for me.

Interesting idea but my move all in point of time is not now. There will be others who become available and maybe Kopitar is a good fit in 2 or 3 years.

Reactions: abo9

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I'm OK with the idea of adding Kopitar today or in the future. But the price to acquire would be too steep for me.

Interesting idea but my move all in point of time is not now. There will be others who become available and maybe Kopitar is a good fit in 2 or 3 years.

I agree the price is steep and not sure I would move what would be required either, but this is not a dumb proposal I believe. Some people overestimate the age of a player, sure it decreases his value but does not make him unvaluable, the right balance must be found :)

The question is : when do the Habs want to contend? As for L.A. I do not see it before 4/5 years so Kopiatr may not be as useful and I am pretty sure they will consider trading him if a good offer comes to the table.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree the price is steep and not sure I would move what would be required either, but this is not a dumb proposal I believe. Some people overestimate the age of a player, sure it decreases his value but does not make him unvaluable, the right balance must be found :)

The question is : when do the Habs want to contend? As for L.A. I do not see it before 4/5 years so Kopiatr may not be as useful and I am pretty sure they will consider trading him if a good offer comes to the table.

Habs are a fringe top 10 team (at best) and middle of the pack team for a bit yet IMO. Lets say we add Kopitar today. Is he a leader by example from 32-36? I think this is a short term gain type move and not worth it cause we get no cup from it.

Habs window to contend is 2 or 3+ years from now when we get to see how good the youth are. Unfortunately Weber's window does not fit. Not worried about Price.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Holy exaggeration haha. I love Caufields potential as much as the next guy and am really liking Drouins play this season but if TDot offered us Matthews for that-id drive them all there directly. Fck the airport. The whole 7 hrs. bring their bags up to their hotel room, pay for their room service and teach Cole how to shave for when he grows facial hair.
And you'd trade
Drouin
Caufield
2020 1st rd pick
For Kopitar?
Go away.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Even ignoring the NMC, there's very little chance Montreal pays what Kopitar would cost from LA, for the same reason there's very little chance a team would pay Montreal what Weber or Price would cost.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Adding Kopitar does not make the Habs a contender, so there is no reason to trade away their young assets for him.

Habs are a middle of the pack team and fringe top 10 team at best. Adding Kopitar might jump us into the top 5-10 range but hard to predict based on how much youth we have cause we don’t know how good they are yet

This issue I have is the price to pay to acquire. Maybe the Habs move all in time is not now but in 2 or 3 years?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad