In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
bagdad-bob.jpg

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
WHL is the second league I follow after NHL, and I actively follow WHL. I might get a mini-pack down the road with the Ice, only because seats will be very limited for the first few seasons.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Free Press is also reporting today that the announcement is delayed. Maybe they didn't get enough Board of Governors 'yea' votes?

Not sure why something of that nature would be announced so early in the season anyway. Not only would it affect attendance at the remaining Ice home games but probably also impact the players performance. The team has lost 15 of their last 16 games (with 2 of them being in overtime). Perhaps their play is partially due to the rumors that the team is leaving. Although nothing has been confirmed by the team owners about the franchise relocating to Winnipeg, if the rumors are accurate, any such announcement should only occur late in the season.

:jets

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Free Press is also reporting today that the announcement is delayed. Maybe they didn't get enough Board of Governors 'yea' votes?

Board won't vote until their winter meeting in February at the earliest, according to the Friesen article.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

Here is the link.

Greg Fettes, one of the founders of Winnipeg’s 24/7 InTouch, responded Friday to a Free Press story suggesting that he and his business partner Matt Cockell would be announcing Monday the club would be relocated to Winnipeg for the start of the 2019-20 season.

"I’m saying there’s no announcement on Monday or anything pending," Fettes said in a brief telephone interview.

Announcement for Ice relocation put on hold

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I'll be a tad bit honest, I would love Cranbrook to get another team one day. There's just so many problems for them right now that it's not a good time to have a team there.

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
too many teams too few population.

if moving whl to Winnipeg meant a future movement of the moose to another location...…..

it is not worth it.

it is a great benefit to have your ahl team down the hall

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
too many teams too few population.

if moving whl to Winnipeg meant a future movement of the moose to another location...…..

it is not worth it.

it is a great benefit to have your ahl team down the hall
Indianapolis is an example of a similar sized city that has put sports first. I think it is in their official community plan to make it a sports Mecca.

I am wondering if Winnipeg may be following their example with hockey. Manitobans are gaga over hockey these days.

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
Indianapolis is an example of a similar sized city that has put sports first. I think it is in their official community plan to make it a sports Mecca.

I am wondering if Winnipeg may be following their example with hockey. Manitobans are gaga over hockey these days.
The demographics of Winnipeg are changing. I wonder if our new Canadians, who encreasingly are coming from warmer climates, will take to hockey with the same fervour. I look at the crowds at the Jets games and don’t see much diversity. I hope I am worried about nothing (because I hate soccer!)

Reactions: GNP

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
The demographics of Winnipeg are changing. I wonder if our new Canadians, who encreasingly are coming from warmer climates, will take to hockey with the same fervour. I look at the crowds at the Jets games and don’t see much diversity. I hope I am worried about nothing (because I hate soccer!)

Hockey is not an easy game to watch for many people, because the puck is tiny and moves very fast. I regularly lose sight of where the puck is and sometimes I'll miss a goal because I'm hunting around for where it is. It's the main reason I won't sit where the puck can land. I've been hit twice by the bloody thing at Jets games. :mad: That's one nice thing about soccer. I can always follow the ball, even on the hardest shots. If you've grown up watching soccer, you might find hockey too frustrating to bother with.

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
Hockey is not an easy game to watch for many people, because the puck is tiny and moves very fast. I regularly lose sight of where the puck is and sometimes I'll miss a goal because I'm hunting around for where it is. It's the main reason I won't sit where the puck can land. I've been hit twice by the bloody thing at Jets games. :mad: That's one nice thing about soccer. I can always follow the ball, even on the hardest shots. If you've grown up watching soccer, you might find hockey too frustrating to bother with.

The people I have gotten to know from South America agree with you that the puck can be hard to follow. More frustrating though is the lack of continuous play. The constant stoppages drive them crazy. That and the sedate nature of the crowds.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
Currious what season ticket packages will cost?
Used to be a Jets season ticket holder until my group upgraded to the loge and I simply got priced out...Mortgage and Groceries vs Jets season tickets...

Reactions: Spock

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
They are playing in a new arena to be built in South end, right? If they were at MTS, I'd consider going to some games! As nice as it is to have AHL in the same city, I feel people can get behind a WHL team more.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
I am excited by the prospect of a WHL team to the city. I do not follow the league at all, and this would peak my interest a bit. I would attend some games, I hear they are fun. If it's private funding, then I say go for it - would be quite interesting if Winnipeg ended up supporting NHL, AHL and WHL!

But I gotta say it - some sad Kootenay Ice fans, people hurt by this news, and I can't help but feel for them - especially as Winnipeg doesn't need the WHL.

Edit:
Re: demographics, I think it's important to add that WHL will draw from a different market too. They'll have A+ access to the Perimeter which should make it easier to draw a more rural "out of Winnipeg" crowd as well. I also do not see WHL directly taking tickets away from Jets. Completely different markets, and Winnipeg is an NHL first town for sure. WHL will certainly have it's place but it won't be enough of a draw to take away primary interest from the major league club. Especially not when it's a cup contender!

Last edited:

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Not sure why something of that nature would be announced so early in the season anyway. Not only would it affect attendance at the remaining Ice home games but probably also impact the players performance. The team has lost 15 of their last 16 games (with 2 of them being in overtime). Perhaps their play is partially due to the rumors that the team is leaving. Although nothing has been confirmed by the team owners about the franchise relocating to Winnipeg, if the rumors are accurate, any such announcement should only occur late in the season.

It's not the NHL. The kids are just happy to be in the league. They live with billets so it's no big deal what city they play in. A few of the players are actually from Manitoba. They are fighting to be drafted so every game means something to them, win or lose.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
It's not the NHL. The kids are just happy to be in the league. They live with billets so it's no big deal what city they play in. A few of the players are actually from Manitoba. They are fighting to be drafted so every game means something to them, win or lose.

That's true and I understand that part of it. However, the players must have some kind of connection to the fans there and rumors of a move would have an impact on them to a certain degree. Even though it's not the NHL, junior hockey matters to the fans that support the teams. I just think any such announcement should occur much later in the season that's all.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
But I gotta say it - some sad Kootenay Ice fans, people hurt by this news, and I can't help but feel for them - especially as Winnipeg doesn't need the WHL.

Sucks no doubt but I'm sure they'll get a BCHL team sooner than later and that's not much of a step down from the WHL.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Someone show those kids Slapshot!

Reactions: Ducky10

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
A guy I know that works construction says they are building an arena for the WHL team already.

It doesn't really make sense to me to have 3 hockey teams here, Moose attendance is already dwindling.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
A guy I know that works construction says they are building an arena for the WHL team already.

It doesn't really make sense to me to have 3 hockey teams here, Moose attendance is already dwindling.

It makes sense to have 2 hockey teams here. For all we know, plans to relocate the Moose may already be underway. Unlike this bunch, TNSE is very good at not letting info leak. And there is a very nice AHL sized arena just a few hours west of here. Maybe putting our farm team in Regina could foster better relations between the sports fans of the two cities. Rename the Banjo Bowl to the Buddy Bowl. One big happy, prairie family. :nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad