Prospect Info: Konstantin Volkov, G, St. Petersburg, 168th Overall

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Old thread but I could not find another one for him.

Volkov turns 23 in September but since he was drafted in 2016 I believe the Predators have until June 1st to sign him to an ELC (unless I'm reading the CBA incorrectly).

Played a career-high 30 games in the VHL (Russia's second league) this past season with decent numbers. Accounting for the time it takes for goalies to develop is there a chance he is signed?

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Old thread but I could not find another one for him.

Volkov turns 23 in September but since he was drafted in 2016 I believe the Predators have until June 1st to sign him to an ELC (unless I'm reading the CBA incorrectly).

Played a career-high 30 games in the VHL (Russia's second league) this past season with decent numbers. Accounting for the time it takes for goalies to develop is there a chance he is signed?

I'd say its doubtful. We have Saros as our future starter and Ingram as our future backup already in place.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
CapFriendly has Volkov as a player whose rights are "indefinite", in the category of Russians with no transfer agreement with the NHL. For whatever that's worth.

But I would imagine the Preds see their goalie pipeline reasonably stocked, excluding him. Ingram as heir/hopeful in Milwaukee, and I don't know any reason why Grosenick wouldn't want to come back in a successful home-town veteran-insurance role there too. Westerholm got to play #1 in Finland this year, so him and Vomacka are probably the next tier of guys who will try to show they are ready to advance to the AHL whenever a spot opens up in a year or two. Then Haider will be off to Clarkson and we'll see if he ever gets himself on the radar over the next few years.

Volkov, Vejmelka, Kloucek seem to have been left by the wayside over the past couple years.

But I say all this only from a distance, I don't know anything about any of them from a scouting perspective.

Last edited:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Seems to me we used a lot of late draft picks hoping to find another Rinne but now that Ingram fell into our lap we really dont need most of those players, especially the ones already 22 or 23.

Reactions: Fixxer

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Seems to me we used a lot of late draft picks hoping to find another Rinne but now that Ingram fell into our lap we really dont need most of those players, especially the ones already 22 or 23.
I like the Westerholm concept a little better, I'd say. If you are just going to take a scattershot approach to trying to find a diamond in the rough, well, there are plenty of free agent goalies once they actually reach 21, 22, 23 that you could just sign. Not really any need to spend a draft pick on one when they are teenagers. Some of these guys we let go at 22 or 23 could end up back on somebody's radar to sign at some point after they've played a few more pro years in Europe.

Not that we can really complain. I'd say overall, we've been a little fortunate with goalies. Starting with Vokoun and Dunham and on down the years, whatever they have been doing with goalies, we've never really had any issues. Maybe this year's first 4 months, that was the closest we've really come to a goaltending panic? :dunno:

Reactions: Scoresberg

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY

Technically, Ingram is a 7th rd flyer himself. That was the trade value for him as for Volkov, I don't see him as an option. The flyer worked...Unless there is a trade.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Interesting. Predators chose to sign another Finn that played youth hockey in northern Minnesota in Kaskisuo after terminating Westholm's contract.

To his credit, Volkov seems to be off to a nice start, albeit in the VHL and not the KHL.

jusu11

Jun 27, 2012
Ässät also stated that they got help on the process from multiple people in the Predators organization and that goalie coach David Rook was a big help. They also said that Ässät will continue to work with Nashville throughout the season.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
One of three young goalies vying for the net with Dynamo Moscow this year. Does he have a legitimate shot or does he end up in the VHL this year?

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
One of three young goalies vying for the net with Dynamo Moscow this year. Does he have a legitimate shot or does he end up in the VHL this year?
I dont know if Nashville even still has his rights. We have at least 5 goalies ahead of him on the depth chart and he was drafted 6 years ago

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
as far as I'm aware, we hold his rights indefinitely until he moves to a league that the NHL has a transfer agreement with like Liiga, SHL or NLA, in which case we must either sign him or lose the exclusive rights to him

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I dont know if Nashville even still has his rights. We have at least 5 goalies ahead of him on the depth chart and he was drafted 6 years ago

Drafted from Russia so Nashville retains his rights indefinitely. If you look at the team reserve lists on CapFriendly, there are several teams who have players into their 30's on them.

In reality the majority of these players are "prospects" on paper only.

Reactions: PredsV82

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I guess the question is whether he has a legitimate shot at the KHL team? I don't see why not. He has the size over the other two, although Konovalov has KHL experience and some solid pedigree too. I don't know what edge Kublakov could be considered to have over him. They probably WANT Volkov to take it. But if he doesn't... :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad