Konami loses UEFA CL and EL license

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I'm hoping (and pretty sure) EA will pick it up so it can make Career mode feel more authentic. But what I'm afraid of is that being the only possible addition to career mode in FIFA 19 when there's a lot more problems that need to be resolved or added.

Reactions: Wee Baby Seamus

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
To be fair I liked the World Cup version that was a DLC a few years back. They added a crap load of countries.

The issue is that something like that shouldn't be a DLC. There should be more national teams in every version of FIFA and the CL should be incorporated into the career mode.

Pure money grab from EA.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
The issue is that something like that shouldn't be a DLC. There should be more national teams in every version of FIFA and the CL should be incorporated into the career mode.

Pure money grab from EA.
Bit hard to justify the costs that would be involved in putting that in a game with a yearly release cycle when the tournament only happens every four.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Bit hard to justify the costs that would be involved in putting that in a game with a yearly release cycle when the tournament only happens every four.

I'm not sure how the World Cup licensing works but I was talking about individual national teams.

And they already have a faux World Cup in the career mode every year.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I'm not sure how the World Cup licensing works but I was talking about individual national teams.

And they already have a faux World Cup in the career mode every year.
I thought you meant putting the actual licensed World Cup into a game in a non-WC year, sorry.

I've also not played a fifa since 11 so I'm not really sure why I jumped in at all tbh

Wait! Yes I did, it was to laugh at anyone still playing Pro Ev. I've never seen the appeal.

Reactions: All Might

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
It might’ve been a DLC for the Euros, but I felt that at 20 was much better than a separate game for 60.

Sure, more teams should be in the game, but that’s not the reality.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
well that'll pretty much kill PES

Though I heard this year's PES was good but since Manchester United wasn't licensed, I had no interest in the game. :( Exclusive licenses really kill the competition in sports video games and thus the consumer because there's no incentive to be better than the other game.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
This makes me happy. PES is great. But aside from some gameplay stuff, they stopped adding other things. Like why not more divisions, especially in England? Why not more in depth franchise options? They had a chance to be special and they didn't even try.

Plus their community manager, Adam Bhatti, is a total jackass.

Won't be surprised if EA just creates a standalone CL game.
Eh, they stopped doing that. Now it might be expensive DLC.

World Cup mode will be coming soon. It'll add some cut scenes to tournament mode and probably a separate FUT mode similar to 14.

It's rumoured to be free (so hopefully Champions League at most would be free), although I would rather the standalone version. I loved having ALL countries. I loved the presentation.

Last edited:

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Though I heard this year's PES was good but since Manchester United wasn't licensed, I had no interest in the game. :( Exclusive licenses really kill the competition in sports video games and thus the consumer because there's no incentive to be better than the other game.
PES has option files that you can download and add to the game. You'll get real jerseys, logos, names, etc. Some of the option files are better than even FIFA.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
PES has option files that you can download and add to the game. You'll get real jerseys, logos, names, etc. Some of the option files are better than even FIFA.

As mentioned earlier, not an option on Xbox One (X, which I have). I was fine with them on the first Xbox on PES 4 and 5 but on this day and age, it kills a lot of the atmeosphere and feeling not to have it in the game and especially commentary.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Hopefully this helps give the game a little bit more life again, especially for us career mode players.

Also I have been thinking we should make a dedicated EA FIFA thread, thoughts?

Zegras Zebra

May 7, 2016
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Knowing EA the Champions League/ Europa League presentation will probably be in Career Mode maybe with some commentary additions, but that will essentially be it with the rest of the development figuring out how to implement it in FUT, EA's cash cow. I hope the Champions League/ Europa League addition means more teams that regularly participate in these competitions will be in the game, as well as proper qualifying, but I don't have high hopes for that.

I think it also means that this will be the main story line for The Journey this year. I can already see Alex Hunter getting his dream move to Real Madrid and winning the Champions League with Ronaldo.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
I was playing in WC mode yesterday and I picked Egypt. Finished first in the group. 2nd round playing vs Portugal leading 2-0 by the 65th. Got scored on at the 67th and in typical Egyptian fashion Portugal scored on me in the 94th and then in extra time again in the 122nd.

I think this WC patch is poor honestly. You can't make your 23 players selection. The bench is only 7 players. No special features in-between games and overall poor presentation. And ffs I cannot comprehend why once I get eliminated the tournament ends abruptly without having the chance to see who won it.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I was playing in WC mode yesterday and I picked Egypt. Finished first in the group. 2nd round playing vs Portugal leading 2-0 by the 65th. Got scored on at the 67th and in typical Egyptian fashion Portugal scored on me in the 94th and then in extra time again in the 122nd.

I think this WC patch is poor honestly. You can't make your 23 players selection. The bench is only 7 players. No special features in-between games and overall poor presentation. And ffs I cannot comprehend why once I get eliminated the tournament ends abruptly without having the chance to see who won it.

I miss the days when the World Cup got a separate game entirely. The game for South Africa was amazing and you had to go through the years of qualification and stuff, plus they had essentially every country

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad