Komarov, Grabovski and MacArthur

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
I don't know about you guys, but, since our goalies haven't been able to bail us out in this 8 game losing streak, I have really missed those 3 guys!!

Someone (I can't remember who it was) said in another thread how we might have 1 of the worst group of forwards who are defensively responsible and I completely agree with whoever said that.

I have come to the conclusion that losing Macarthur, Grabo and most importantly Komarov and replacing them with Raymond, Bolland and Clarkson has turned out to be a major and I mean MAJOR mistake by Nonis!!

Because Although the former weren't producing as much as we thought they would last season, at least they were incredible defensively And they really helped the defense along the boards constantly winning puck battles and clearing it out of the zone relatively easily.

Plus, 2 of those 3, (Komarov and Macarthur) were GREAT on the PK. (hence why we were 2nd in PK% last year If I remember correctly)

Now, let's take a look at Raymond, Bolland and Clarkson shall we! I will give a free pass to Bolland because he got injured a month into the season and is clearly not 100% since his return. But, holy ****, look at how bad Clarkson and Raymond have been for us defensively, especially Clarkson. I think I can count on 1 hand the number of puck battles Clarkson has won along the boards in our own end this year and I may need a group of about 30 or 40 people's hands to count how many times he has turned the puck over.

Thoughts?

Habsman10*

Well last year your team was tougher to play against for sure.

LeafsandSharksfan

Cero Miedo
Jan 19, 2010
I miss Mac, he was one of those players who really wanted to contribute to the team's success. Pushing people out because they're not getting along great with the coach is a horrible way to manage a team - work it the **** out.

Oct 18, 2010
Garbo and Mac won't be in the playoffs either. Ottawa was a top defensive team last year, not so much this year. Capitals and Senators were both playoff teams last year.

It's not that simple, brother.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
What gets to me is that Nonis bought out Grabo just to sign an even uglier contract with Clarkson. Unbelievable! What a waste of a compliance buy out.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I miss Grabo and Mac, why, we missed the playoffs 8 collective years with these guys, with 2 guaranteed top 5 picks, one as high a 2nd overall.

We could sure use some of those lottery finishes this year with a solid top 3 prospects.

Cool Hand Luke

May 27, 2008
I think buying out Grabo was a big mistake.

1. I'm sure if there were stats on puck possession, Grabo would have been at the top last year. This has been our biggest problem this year.

2. Grabo was one of the hardest working guys I'd ever seen play in the blue and white. So basically, buying him out was telling the rest of the team, "It doesn't matter how hard you work, if Randy doesn't like you, you are gone." Not the greatest message going into this season.

Same goes for Komarov. The dude gave 110% every game, and they couldn't even give him an extra million to keep him here? So we lost, IMO, the two hardest working players on the team for nothing. Excellent strategy Nonis. It doesn't always matter how many points someone puts up. A good work ethic is infectious.

Jot

Mar 10, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
JvR-Bozak-Kessel
Kulemin-Grabovski-MacArthur
Lupul-Kadri-Raymond
Bodie-McClement-Komorav
*We can role 4 attacking lines!

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Gardiner-Franson
Rielly-Komisarek(UFA)/Ranger
*Defense is still s***.

Bernier
Reimer

All fits under the cap too.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
JvR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Raymond
Bodie-McClement-Komorav

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Gardiner-Franson
*Defense is still s***.

Bernier
Reimer

As bad if not worse than the current team too

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
So we miss a fourth liner but not a couple of second-third liners?

Man, I just have a hard time figuring u out more often than not.

Komarov is a third line player.

He brought an attitude to the room and to the ice that changed this team. His relentless hitting, and his pestiness is something we have been missing dearly.

Grabo and MacArthur weren't effective here at all. They didn't bring much of anything to the team this year. Dave Bolland in his short amount of time played this year looks a hell of a lot better then Grabo did, and as much as I dislike Raymond, he likely has done more then Mac would on that third line.

Komarov is the player we missed. He had an affect on this team, and that locker room that we need.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
JvR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Raymond
Bodie-McClement-Komorav

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Gardiner-Franson
*Defense is still s***.

Bernier
Reimer

Well, this would have been nice if we wanted Ekblad.

You know where Grabo, and Mac in our top 6 got us last time they were there? No where. We collapsed out of the playoffs with them there.

You know where their current teams are with them in their top 6? Out of the playoffs.

They are top 6 players on non-playoff teams.

Marner

Hi I'm Mitch
Jan 30, 2010
Ottawa
We were so much tougher last year. This years team is so soft.

Frasor was great last year too bad he hurt and regressed.
Phaneuf was much better
Komorov Great player to have on your team, toughness and forcheck that nobody on this team has.

Macarthur and Graboski although not considered tough guys are still chipy players grabovski for example in the Boston series getting decked a few times and getting right back up and battling.

we have no push back, no grit and not heart right now and that was killing us.

WE lost a lot of heart in the off season.

Marner

Hi I'm Mitch
Jan 30, 2010
Ottawa
Like serious this team has lost 8 games in a row and not 1 player has tried to make a big body check.... start a fight... anything...

like its lame how much they dont even care.

leafstilldeath*

Well, this would have been nice if we wanted Ekblad.

You know where Grabo, and Mac in our top 6 got us last time they were there? No where. We collapsed out of the playoffs with them there.

You know where their current teams are with them in their top 6? Out of the playoffs.

They are top 6 players on non-playoff teams.

yeah.... I might be living in a different dimension because here Leafs have sucked ass and are not making the playoffs and probably are not gonna get Ekblad either....so no win-win situation with the leafs here...

How is it in your dimension? Is Clarkson still a stud?

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Grabo showed way more heart than Clarkson has ever shown here. Clarkson is a complete fraud. So much for his "intangibles".

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
yeah.... I might be living in a different dimension because here Leafs have sucked ass and are not making the playoffs and probably are not gonna get Ekblad either....so no win-win situation with the leafs here...

How is it in your dimension? Is Clarkson still a stud?

wha- what?

I was insinuating that his lineup, is worse then the one we had now.

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Komarov
Raymond - Bolland - Kulemin
D'Amigo - McClement - Ashton

Don't sign Clarkson, and give Komarov the 1 year, 3M he wanted.

Bolland > Garbo
Raymond > Mac
Komarov > Clarkson

best of both worlds

JimmyPower

Apr 25, 2007
Grabo showed way more heart than Clarkson has ever shown here. Clarkson is a complete fraud. So much for his "intangibles".

Agree. Unless falling to the ice whenever someone looks at you and taking dumb penalties are intangibles, I ain't seen no intangibles.

leafstilldeath*

wha- what?

I was insinuating that his lineup, is worse then the one we had now.

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Komarov
Raymond - Bolland - Kulemin
D'Amigo - McClement - Ashton

Don't sign Clarkson, and give Komarov the 1 year, 3M he wanted.

Bolland > Garbo
Raymond > Mac
Komarov > Clarkson

best of both worlds

let me get this straight. you are saying:

roster that isn't making the playoffs > roster that made the playoffs?

lol sure

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad