Komarov elbow to McDonagh: suspended 3 games - MOD warning in OP

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
[mod]

Tough to be Leo right now, after the amazing year he's having. Just a blip in his career. I like Komarov, feel like he got jobbed by the league on this one. Definitely not a dirty player, plays very close to the edge though.

Last edited by a moderator:

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Wow. Genuinely surprised by that decision.

I don't mind the number for that kind of hit. Just doesn't seem entirely in line with some of the other DoPS decisions.

The Night King

Mar 25, 2014
California
[mod]

Tough to be Leo right now, after the amazing year he's having. Just a blip in his career. I like Komarov, feel like he got jobbed by the league on this one. Definitely not a dirty player, plays very close to the edge though.

Players need to learn. That was a dangerous pay. And after the crap he pulled on Doughty, I'm glad he's getting something.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Is the NHLPA looking at video from any time Komarov was hit in the game prior to the elbow? He might have been concussed and not in this reality.

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

:laugh:

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Pretty much what was expected. A dirty play by a top 6 player, who hasn't had any history before. Absolutly justified, as someone already said you can watch Komarov after the blow, he knew he made a bad hit.

Still, fist time offense. I think the NHL should take a more serious approach about head hits. But that has to be done with the IIHF. I'm not even sure if we can take these accidental plays out, but intentional ones should be dealt with MAJOR suspensions.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
For the record, I think 3 games was an appropriate penalty, though anywhere from 2-5 wouldn't have surprised me. I don't think Komarov is a dirty player, but it certainly was a dirty and dangerous hit that resulted in injury. This one the NHL got right.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Unsurprising. It was his first offence and it was clear as day - his elbow/bicep straight to the head.

This would have been a big suspension if he was a repeat offender.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
If Komarov is given at least 3 games or more which I still think is a lot for a first time offender, will the next first time offender be given the same amount for a head shot? I mean is Komarov the player to make an example of or would they because he plays in Toronto with all the media attention?

I think it should have 2 games since he was a first time offender, however I wonder if he was given 3 due to the fact he plays in Toronto?

A proud card-carrying member of the Conspiracy Club...

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
If they cared, at all, about the players, this would be at least 10-15 games. With their prior history, 3 games sounds right but all these suspensions are too short for the damage/potential damage these hits can do. Bozak hasn't played in two weeks and counting because of a hit way less dangerous (still a head shot) than this one and that was no suspension. How is that protecting players when you can literally end someones career and barely sit a week as punishment?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
A proud card-carrying member of the Conspiracy Club...
I don't think it's a conspiracy, I say it's a legit question because how many first time offenders have been suspended 3 games for the same type of hit? In the past I remember first time offenders getting 1 or 2 games at the most.

A conspiracy would be if I said how come Komarov got 3 games and why did Mika Zibanejad not get suspended for giving a head shot to Tyler Bozak which gave him a concussion on February 6 and Bozak has not played since.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
3 games? What the ****? Why even bother???

Bettman sucks and so does whoever else who decided a slap on the wrist is proper.

If they treated these headshots like hitting the ref, it might actually mean something.

Weak ass bull ****.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
If they cared, at all, about the players, this would be at least 10-15 games. With their prior history, 3 games sounds right but all these suspensions are too short for the damage/potential damage these hits can do. Bozak hasn't played in two weeks and counting because of a hit way less dangerous (still a head shot) than this one and that was no suspension. How is that protecting players when you can literally end someones career and barely sit a week as punishment?

Only intelligent way to see it, really.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Unsurprising. It was his first offence and it was clear as day - his elbow/bicep straight to the head.

This would have been a big suspension if he was a repeat offender.

I think the NHL will announce a 17 game suspension to Raffi Torres because of this hit too, just to be sure. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad