Komarov elbow to McDonagh: suspended 3 games - MOD warning in OP

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
Some players just are prone to concussions; McDonagh is the new Letang.

Funny how repeated intentional blows to his jaw from fists and elbows seem to bring on the symptoms.

Three games might end up looking like nothing next to what McDonagh might miss.

Seinfeld punishment: Komarov has to dress for the Rangers until McDonagh returns. :sarcasm:

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Just because McD was hurt doesn't mean that the theatrics weren't real. The fact that the league didn't even issue a 1 game suspension despite a star player getting suspended tells you all about what they thought about McD and his little show to get Simmonds tossed.

If so, that shows the league doesn't have two spare neurons to rub together.

Man, I can't believe I'm on the Rangers side on this. But the other side is just too thick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
In any case this is a deserved suspension. Should have been more as it was a rather blatant elbow.

I would have given him 5

Derrty

Cat
Apr 24, 2012
Funny how repeated intentional blows to his jaw from fists and elbows seem to bring on the symptoms.

Three games might end up looking like nothing next to what McDonagh might miss.

Seinfeld punishment: Komarov has to dress for the Rangers until McDonagh returns. :sarcasm:

He should have to work as McDonaghs butler, for the remainder of the season.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
No need to be salty. Just because McD was hurt doesn't mean that the theatrics weren't real. The fact that the league didn't even issue a 1 game suspension despite a star player getting injured tells you all about what they thought about McD and his little show to get Simmonds tossed.

You're completely off your rocker.

What part of the fact that McDonagh had a medically diagnosed concussion and missed over 12 days worth of games are you missing? You're calling it a little show as if he faked being hurt just to get Simmonds a penalty. It's actually insulting of you to say that, the guy had his brain scrambled around and you're calling it a "little show" as if he was faking it.

Wow, completely ignorant AND classless.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I don't have a problem with 3 games. I wish all of these penalties were a bit harsher, to be honest. But what I don't get, for the life of me, is why this gets 3 games and Simmonds' sucker punch got zero.

(BTW, NYI fan here who loathes the Rangers, but likes McDonagh.)

Because it would have been extremely hypocritical to suspend Simmonds and give nothing to McDonagh for his crosscheck to the back of the head of Simmonds 3 seconds earlier.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Because it would have been extremely hypocritical to suspend Simmonds and give nothing to McDonagh for his crosscheck to the back of the head of Simmonds 3 seconds earlier.

McDonagh should have been assessed a high sticking minor on the play. I don't see how that has any bearing whatsoever on Simmonds (stupidly) not being suspended. Simmonds also should have gotten a slashing call to offset the high-sticking. Hell, maybe that even happened, who cares?

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
McDonagh should have been assessed a high sticking minor on the play. I don't see how that has any bearing whatsoever on Simmonds (stupidly) not being suspended. Simmonds also should have gotten a slashing call to offset the high-sticking. Hell, maybe that even happened, who cares?

Well, first, it's relevant because it's just as dangerous and arguably more dangerous to use your stick to crosscheck someone in the back of the head/neck than it is to jab someone in the face. You can ignore that all you want but it doesn't make it less true. Simmonds shouldn't have lost his cool but let's not act like McDonagh is innocent just because he was the one hurt on the play.

If that crosscheck to the back of the head was nothing more than a minor for high sticking, then the Simmonds jab should have been a minor for roughing. So 2 minors and hell, we'll give Simmonds the extra 2 for slashing if it makes you feel better.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Because McD's crosscheck to the head was worse than a punch to the mouth....regardless of the outcome.

But the Simmonds talk has been done to death, focus on Leo and his elbow.

Hope McD gets better soon.

CapsWolverinesUSA

Jan 3, 2007
3 games is appropriate IMO. Think the league got this one right. Not a dirty player normally, but it was a nasty, dirty hit.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
If that crosscheck to the back of the head was nothing more than a minor for high sticking, then the Simmonds jab should have been a minor for roughing. So 2 minors and hell, we'll give Simmonds the extra 2 for slashing if it makes you feel better.

I've sadly made peace with the fact that some people see the world in incomprehensible ways that one can't reasonably talk them out of. That one-handed cross-check/high stick is something one sees in the NHL every night. The left-hook sucker punch is as special as your point of view.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Because McD's crosscheck to the head was worse than a punch to the mouth....regardless of the outcome.

I think that's silly, but if that's what you really believe, shouldn't you be in favor of both players receiving suspensions? Or do two wrongs make an okay - no harm, no foul? Oh, er.. I mean, even if there is a lot of harm, no foul. Because two wrongs, you see? :sarcasm:

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Well, first, it's relevant because it's just as dangerous and arguably more dangerous to use your stick to crosscheck someone in the back of the head/neck than it is to jab someone in the face. You can ignore that all you want but it doesn't make it less true. Simmonds shouldn't have lost his cool but let's not act like McDonagh is innocent just because he was the one hurt on the play.

Don't forget the late hit McDonagh was defending himself from.

Komarov out won't help the Leafs get a better pick. We saw in the ASG where he was more out of place than John Scott!

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Is the NHLPA looking at video from any time Komarov was hit in the game prior to the elbow? He might have been concussed and not in this reality.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Here is what Komarov said about the hit.

http://www.tsn.ca/komarov-sorry-for-hit-on-rangers-mcdonagh-1.440417

"I'm not trying to hurt people, I'm just hitting," said Komarov. "Sometimes it goes like it goes."

"I hope he's okay," Komarov said Friday afternoon, moments before he spoke with the league. "I feel sorry for my teammates because I let them down — I got five minutes there — and I feel real sorry about Ryan, too."

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
There was nothing clean about that hit but nothing intentional either. I saw it as Komarov trying to play the puck and sticking his elbow out to keep his position. Still careless and deserves as suspension but I don't; see it as a dirty play where he was attempting to injure or anything like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad