Komarov elbow to McDonagh: suspended 3 games - MOD warning in OP

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Pretty much what was expected. A dirty play by a top 6 player, who hasn't had any history before. Absolutly justified, as someone already said you can watch Komarov after the blow, he knew he made a bad hit.

Still, fist time offense. I think the NHL should take a more serious approach about head hits. But that has to be done with the IIHF. I'm not even sure if we can take these accidental plays out, but intentional ones should be dealt with MAJOR suspensions.

More of an elbow offense then a fist offense, but I agree completely. Appropriate suspension.

P.s. Sorry, couldn't resist.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Can't complain about this decision at all, especially since McD was just coming off one concussion, only to get another. Could've easily been 4 or 5.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
If they cared, at all, about the players, this would be at least 10-15 games. With their prior history, 3 games sounds right but all these suspensions are too short for the damage/potential damage these hits can do. Bozak hasn't played in two weeks and counting because of a hit way less dangerous (still a head shot) than this one and that was no suspension. How is that protecting players when you can literally end someones career and barely sit a week as punishment?

Totally agree. This suspension is fair based on the current precedents that have been set, but no player is going to take these punishments as serious as they need to until plays like this are getting 10 games or more as the standard.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
FWIW

Andrew Gross ‏@AGrossRecord 4s5 seconds ago
Rangers say no concussion for Ryan McDonagh. Jaw contusion and neck spasm.

Could explain why he wasn't taken to the dark room right away.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
FWIW

Andrew Gross ‏@AGrossRecord 4s5 seconds ago
Rangers say no concussion for Ryan McDonagh. Jaw contusion and neck spasm.

Could explain why he wasn't taken to the dark room right away.

I think when you get hit that violently (especially just after returning from a concussion) you have to go to the dark rook right away. I really hope McD doesn't have a concussion but I'm honestly surprised that he didn't suffer one.

Hopefully he's in next game.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

While that should not change anything since Komarov was suspended based on how the hit occurred, I wonder if the Rangers knew that prior to his hearing and only now are releasing the news that McDonagh did not suffer a concussion. So let's say they announced this news before the Komarov's phone hearing, would his suspension still have been 3 games? I agree he should have been suspended because it was a bad hit, I just wonder would the outcome of it been different?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

While that should not change anything since Komarov was suspended based on how the hit occurred, I wonder if the Rangers knew that prior to his hearing and only now are releasing the news that McDonagh did not suffer a concussion. So let's say they announced this news before the Komarov's phone hearing, would his suspension still have been 3 games? I agree he should have been suspended because it was a bad hit, I just wonder would the outcome of it been different?

We knew he had a concussion almost immediately when Simmonds did it, presumably to try and get Simmonds suspended. Suddenly, this one took a couple of days. Probably gamesmanship from the Rangers.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
We knew he had a concussion almost immediately when Simmonds did it, presumably to try and get Simmonds suspended. Suddenly, this one took a couple of days. Probably gamesmanship from the Rangers.

Yeah I mean your medical staff isn't obligated to help Komarov out, can't really blame them.

Silver lining here is that between the speeding fines this summer and 50k from the suspension, we might start seeing cheesy Komarov car dealership commercials pop up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad