Komarov destroys Gaudreau with clean hit

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
In the last few weeks I've seen 3 hits that have been legal according to the rules, but have caused injury. This hit is the third, Gaudreau returned to the game but many have questioned that decision, and we still don't know if he's concussed. He might get the symptoms in a few days, or then he won't.

The first hit was McCabe on Laine, which was clean by the rules. Laine was out for a few weeks, migh return soon (even today?). The second hit I'm refering is from our Finnish league, where Joe Finley took out Michel Miklik.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s4n9W3qN2Y
This one was clean as well, but Miklik received a concussion, a broken nose, and some fractures to his face. He's out atleast 6 weeks.

The question we maybe should be asking is that do we want these hits in our game? I really don't have an oppinnion one way or another, but I think most of us can agree that these 3 hits (by McCabe, Finley if you watch the YT link and now Komarov) have been clean. Do we want to have "clean" hits that can cause serious injuries and in the worst case end careers? This topic will no doubt rise if more clean hits causing serious injuries appear.

You're using last night as an example when we have no indication that JG was injured and seems, by all accounts, fine.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
You're using last night as an example when we have no indication that JG was injured and seems, by all accounts, fine.
I raised that possibility, yes. Would be great if he is 100%. However, doesn't that hit have a possibility to cause a concussion like McCabe on Laine? And as I said I think the hit is clean and if it was my decission, these kind of hits should also be legal in the future.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Fighting and hitting are a part of hockey just like grappling and wrestling are a part of UFC. If you take these things away you are no longer playing the game.

Fighting and hitting are part of the game, but they are not "the game." The game would still exist without those specific aspects of it because one isn't even done in the context of the play and the other is one strategy utilized in participating in the game.

While I don't see either of these things going away any time soon (if at all), you cannot say they are integral to the sport. They just aren't. They are incidental.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I raised that possibility, yes. Would be great if he is 100%. However, doesn't that hit have a possibility to cause a concussion like McCabe on Laine? And as I said I think the hit is clean and if it was my decission, these kind of hits should also be legal in the future.

Every big hit has a chance of injury, just like every slapshot has a chance to get someone in the face and cause injury. Its an accepted risk, removing these things would result in a much inferior product.

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
....and because theirs no fighting allowed in hockey, Calgary opted to go head hunting for the rest of the game!

Thanks NHL!

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Fighting and hitting are part of the game, but they are not "the game." The game would still exist without those specific aspects of it because one isn't even done in the context of the play and the other is one strategy utilized in participating in the game.

While I don't see either of these things going away any time soon (if at all), you cannot say they are integral to the sport. They just aren't. They are incidental.

Been part of it since 1875.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
In the last few weeks I've seen 3 hits that have been legal according to the rules, but have caused injury. This hit is the third, Gaudreau returned to the game but many have questioned that decision, and we still don't know if he's concussed. He might get the symptoms in a few days, or then he won't.

The first hit was McCabe on Laine, which was clean by the rules. Laine was out for a few weeks, migh return soon (even today?). The second hit I'm refering is from our Finnish league, where Joe Finley took out Michel Miklik.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s4n9W3qN2Y
This one was clean as well, but Miklik received a concussion, a broken nose, and some fractures to his face. He's out atleast 6 weeks.

The question we maybe should be asking is that do we want these hits in our game? I really don't have an oppinnion one way or another, but I think most of us can agree that these 3 hits (by McCabe, Finley if you watch the YT link and now Komarov) have been clean. Do we want to have "clean" hits that can cause serious injuries and in the worst case end careers? This topic will no doubt rise if more clean hits causing serious injuries appear.

Because if you take them out, you might as well outlaw hitting in general. It's a tough game. Sometimes people get hurt.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
A Guile impersonation cannot be called fighting. What infuriates me is Alex Chiasson's elbow on Komarov in retaliation that was called, but should have been a major penalty-game misconduct.

Eh....gloves came off...they squared off...punches were thrown. I've certainly seen less called a fight despite the....err....hilarious ending.

Fabs

Dec 19, 2005
A Guile impersonation cannot be called fighting. What infuriates me is Alex Chiasson's elbow on Komarov in retaliation that was called, but should have been a major penalty-game misconduct.

That's the one the league really needed to review. Sick flying elbow to Komarov's head that he fortunately dodged enough it only grazed him. If that connects fully he's in trouble.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
People out there that still don't respect a hit like this. Unreal.

Absolutely gorgeous, sorry Johnny (tm)

IMO, it wasn't even that big of a hit.

The problem was the Gaudreau was too busy admiring his pass and dreaming of being on the highlight reel so when Komarov hit him, he was surprised, which caused the whiplash effect we saw. He made himself vulnerable due to his ego. If he was paying attention, it probably would have just been a normal, solid hit. Players have to start taking responsibility for themselves in these situations.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Actually fighting is not part of the game. If it was there would not be a penalty for fighting.

Saying fighting is part of the game is like saying tripping and hooking is part of the game.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Actually fighting is not part of the game. If it was there would not be a penalty for fighting.

Saying fighting is part of the game is like saying tripping and hooking is part of the game.

They are part of the game. Just because you get penalized for it doesn't mean it's not part of the game... Over 100 years of fighting in hockey... It's part of the game whether it's a penalty or not. Touch downs... now that's not part of the game :laugh:

The fact that you only get a 5 minute Major ( along with the other guy) and not get thrown out of the game and suspended like most other sports besides combat sports should tell you something.

VanCity Millionaires

Oct 4, 2005
Vancouver
Wow, how long did he stand there admiring his pass? It definitely was worse than it should have been if he had at least braced himself. Maybe there was a hot girl on the other side of the ice with a "Marry Me Johnny" poster?

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Because if you take them out, you might as well outlaw hitting in general. It's a tough game. Sometimes people get hurt.

Indeed. You might as well argue that we should make skating illegal after a series of bad groin injuries from players skating hard after the puck. Hits are going to cause injuries, because it's physical contact and we're not made of iron (entirely, at least :naughty:), and hitting is a central part of hockey in the same sense that dribbling is a central part of basketball. The problem was and is entirely with targeting the head when it's avoidable. When the hit is properly executed, as it was here, and there is head contact anyway, that's an acceptable price for the entertainment the game provides as it exists, IMO, considering a large percentage of that entertainment is hitting.

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Strangley enough, sports evolve over time.

What part of the game is dependent on hitting or fighting?

By this logic, what part of the game is dependent on skating? Just melt the ice and let them run around, right?
Fighting is fading in its importance in the game, but hitting is still a major part, if nothing else it helps to separate a guy from the puck, leading to turnovers.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
By this logic, what part of the game is dependent on skating? Just melt the ice and let them run around, right?
Fighting is fading in its importance in the game, but hitting is still a major part, if nothing else it helps to separate a guy from the puck, leading to turnovers.

I think thats allready a sport actually just regular hockey right ? XD

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Can't believe how big this thread is for an average hit. Wasn't even the biggest hit he's ever taken in terms of sheer impact. It was definitely a head shot, but Gaudreau was standing still, so in terms of impact, it's no where near the type of collision where a player is traveling at full speed from one direction and another player is traveling at full speed from the opposite direction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad