Kochetkov stops a Penalty shot with the poke check.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Tripped him before making the save though. I think it’s a missed call, if not goalies would just trip players on every breakaway.

Hasek played the puck. This guy targeted the skate.

Didnt hasek get a tripping call in this video too?

Reactions: Bileur

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I don't really care about any of this, but I am genuinely curious if a goalie is technically allowed to blatantly 'poke' a players skates during a penalty shot?

Even if it wasn't allowed - how do you even penalize it? Just redo the shot entirely? What if he keeps doing it? Lol

Either way - it's funny to see how many people's skin Brady has gotten under already. Hypertension is going to be a problem on HF soon.

Reactions: Bileur

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
I don't really care about any of this, but I am genuinely curious if a goalie is technically allowed to blatantly 'poke' a players skates during a penalty shot?

Even if it wasn't allowed - how do you even penalize it? Just redo the shot entirely? What if he keeps doing it? Lol
It used to be a trip was tolerated if you got puck first, they've now done away with the rule. Is it different for goalies?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Either way - it's funny to see how many people's skin Brady has gotten under already. Hypertension is going to be a problem on HF soon.
rule 24.4 says any infraction by the goalkeeper, worthy of a minor penalty results in a do over shot.
Second violation is a misconduct, third violation is a game misconduct

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
It used to be a trip was tolerated if you got puck first, they've now done away with the rule. Is it different for goalies?
I doubt it, refs just missed it as it happened so fast. I don’t think anyone in the building expected Koch to come out like that, including the refs

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
1) The penalty call itself is weak. There was no 'throw' of the stick, he dropped it. Whether he did that moreso to impede the take to the net or to free up his blocker who knows. You do see goalies drop their stick when they have to push hard and try and stop a shot blocker side to give them more mobility and freedom with the blocker.

2) As for the penalty shot itself....No zebra is making a trip call on a PS unless the goalie is beat and literally hacks at a dudes legs to take him down. Trying to argue letter of the law is stupid. Clean play to me, the poke check is as much a ploy to take away the time and space from Tkachuk which he did, Brady should have been more aware.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The rule book says:

> Accidental trips which occur simultaneously with a completed play will not be penalized. Accidental trips occurring simultaneously with or after a stoppage of play will not be penalized.

I have no idea what that’s supposed to mean.
Rule 24.4 on penalty shots explains it, if the goalie commits a minor infraction (ie a trip) The player gets a do over.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

The purpose of that poke check was to not allow Tkachuk to crossover to his right and backhand side.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The purpose of that poke check was to not allow Tkachuk to crossover to his right and backhand side.
The purpose of a poke check is to go for the puck. Ya this was the opposite side the puck was, in relation to his body, puck was 4 feet from where the stick takes out BT skates.
As in penalty shot rule 24.4 he gets a do over, the refs just blew the call, that’s all.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
The purpose of a poke check is to go for the puck. Ya this was the opposite side the puck was, in relation to his body, puck was 4 feet from where the stick takes out BT skates.
As in penalty shot rule 24.4 he gets a do over, the refs just blew the call, that’s all.

I don't know how to respond other than repeating what i said. He's putting his stick there to deny a move to the backhand, if he fishes for the puck and misses it's an easy pull to the backhand goal.

If you watch this video and note the goalie's stick position you'll see that in a lot of them (including the 1st one) they aren't actually going for the puck, they are sticking out the stick to deny the player from crossing over to their other side.

As for it being a trip, I don't agree at all. The threshold for that on a PS/shoot out has to be high. You have to straight up take a guys skate or legs out imo because ive never seen such a call in my lifetime. This was him putting his stick in an area to take away space and an option (pull to the backhand) and with the help of Tkachuk's own momentum he skates into it as much as the goalie took him down.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I don't know how to respond other than repeating what i said. He's putting his stick there to deny a move to the backhand, if he fishes for the puck and misses it's an easy pull to the backhand goal.

If you watch this video and note the goalie's stick position you'll see that in a lot of them (including the 1st one) they aren't actually going for the puck, they are sticking out the stick to deny the player from crossing over to their other side.

As for it being a trip, I don't agree at all. The threshold for that on a PS/shoot out has to be high. You have to straight up take a guys skate or legs out imo because ive never seen such a call in my lifetime. This was him putting his stick in an area to take away space and an option (pull to the backhand) and with the help of Tkachuk's own momentum he skates into it as much as the goalie took him down.

Which diving poke checks weren’t a play for the puck in that video? The only one I saw was Jonas Gustavsson and even then he didn’t take out the feet. The rest of them the goalie makes a play for the puck and I think all of them were successful, it’s timed with a player moving the puck to the backhand, which never happened with Tkachuk. It was a mistimed poke check.

I honestly don’t care that it was an infraction that was let go, it didn’t matter in that game but what you are saying here isn’t entirely correct. If goaltenders start a trend of going for the feet rather than the puck, the league will clamp down on it.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Sure lol,

• Wow
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Which diving poke checks weren’t a play for the puck in that video? The only one I saw was Jonas Gustavsson and even then he didn’t take out the feet. The rest of them the goalie makes a play for the puck and I think all of them were successful, it’s timed with a player moving the puck to the backhand, which never happened with Tkachuk. It was a mistimed poke check.

I honestly don’t care that it was an infraction that was let go, it didn’t matter in that game but what you are saying here isn’t entirely correct. If goaltenders start a trend of going for the feet rather than the puck, the league will clamp down on it.

Literally the 1st one...only differnece is Belesky actually tried to go backhand but if you watch closely wild goalie lunges with the stick to middle of the ice before the move is made.

If goalies start a trend of doing this, i think players will catch on and get some easy goals.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Literally the 1st one...only differnece is Belesky actually tried to go backhand but if you watch closely wild goalie lunges with the stick to middle of the ice before the move is made.

If goalies start a trend of doing this, i think players will catch on and get some easy goals.

Sure, diving poke checks are in large part an anticipation move, goaltenders have to make that move before the puck is brought to the backhand. You look at the Hedberg example it's a perfectly time poke check and stick on puck but he still goes before Michalek brings it to the backhand, it's almost simultaneous with the leg kick.

Kochetkov’s timing is way off on in this instance and Brady never does bring the puck to the backhand.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Should have been a trip on Kochetkov and a re-do of the shot.

Awful reffing per usual. Best sport, worst league.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
love it!

Tkachuk is such a clown

Tkachuk should be more aware, and maybe be ready for it. If he had his head up, a simple deke would have resulted in a goal, instead he skates in with his head down, and well, this happened.
Tell me you never played hockey without telling me you never played hockey.

Anyone that thinks this isnt a penalty does not understand the sport. Puck has to be the initial point of contact. Its right in the rule book. But also common sense if you ever played.

Brady wouldn't wear the C on any other team.
No show Tavares is your captain haha.

You actually watched all of those then said yeah this is the same thing? holy f*** haha.

• Wow
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
If he gets the puck, I'm all about the goalie poke or aggressive move, I dig it a lot.

But if he doesn't get the puck and gets the skate, it should be a tripping call, this is one of those times for sure.

Still love him standing by it and chirping Tkachuk who has every right to be mad (at the ref for not calling the penalty)

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad