Kochetkov stops a Penalty shot with the poke check.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
This. Loved the play. Tkachuk really has no one to blame but himself. He wasnt paying attention and it showed.
Tripping isn't allowed in shootouts. And:

"When an infraction worthy of a minor penalty is committed by the goalkeeper during the shot causing it to fail, no penalty is assessed but the Referee shall permit the shot to be taken over again."

So for a trip, he should have gotten to try again. Source:

Reactions: Golden_Jet

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
To be honest he didn't play the puck at all and literally jammed his stick directly into Tkachuk's skate while he was moving full speed.

Brady had a right to be pissed IMO

This is not a poke check at all, or the worst ever

trip.jpg

Last edited:

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Wait, you can trip a guy in the NHL as long as the shot has already been taken?

The rule book says:

> Accidental trips which occur simultaneously with a completed play will not be penalized. Accidental trips occurring simultaneously with or after a stoppage of play will not be penalized.

I have no idea what that’s supposed to mean.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
My advice to goalies:

Don't attempt to take the skate out from under a fast moving player headed toward the boards with a "poke check". You never know when a freight train might come down your track.

Reactions: Korpse and Oryxo

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I don't have a problem with this. His main objective was to stop the puck. He came out quickly outside his crease and lay down laterally to stop the puck from going in. It's unconventional but in this case, it did the job. If Tkachuk didn't come in like a missile, he probably could have just skated around him and scored

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
A little more context- this was a bit of a horseshit penalty call to begin with. Koochie lost his stick while trying to make a save, and the ref ultimately called him for throwing the stick- which is very clearly not what it was. He just dropped the damn thing. So Kooch was already fired up and out for justice.
Wow that's crazy I thought it was legal to throw your stick after watching games earlier this season

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
And he was poking to keep Chuck from stick handling around him, in the event Brady didn't opt to gently roll the puck into his pads.
I never played goalie outside of some super casual shinny but this seemed pretty clear to me. Kochetkov was anticipating tkachuk to go wide on the forehand and laid the stick out to stop that. When tkachuk didn’t do that and just kept going forward, well we saw what happened

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
Brady got f***ed because he went in flying. Had no time to react to the sprawl. Lot of these NHL 'fans' laughing at this also get their panties in a bunch when players go in super slow, stick dangling for an easy pot vs. a goaltender who's basically left standing there. And the they'll argue "it's against the spirit of the game!" lmao.

Life: it flickers like film - frame by frame - its how we interperate it that makes the 'story'. - ACLEVERNAME (14/12/2023)

• Haha
Reactions: zeeto

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Don't believe the shot taken is the qualifier. The fact the Kotchekov made the move and the save is. Kinda like a follow through on a high stick.

Tripped him before making the save though. I think it’s a missed call, if not goalies would just trip players on every breakaway.

Watch the Hasek highlights, no difference but we like it

Hasek played the puck. This guy targeted the skate.

Reactions: lakai17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad