Knowing what we know - who do you draft in a re-draft? 18 yr old Crosby or 18 yr old McDavid?

Who do you take in a re-draft - 18yr old Crosby vs 18 yr old McDavid

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
If given the chance to draft either Crosby or McDavid at 18, knowing how they panned out as players in reality, who do you draft, and why? Also - how close of a decision is it for you?

Age to age - McDavid is having the better career so far. I think that's almost unquestionable. But a redraft introduces a few dynamics worth considering that may make Crosby the more attractive option:

Health. In a redraft scenario, health is kind of up in the air how it turns out. Crosby has had a lot of health issues his career, but unlike players like Lindros or Lemieux who seemed destined to have health issues, a lot of Crosby's issues seem to be more related to freak/unlucky injuries - in a redraft, no way to know how health turns out for either Crosby nor McDavid.

Ageing. We know Crosby is having a hell of a back half to his career - ages 26 to 35 is among the best stretch of any player in history for that age. As good as McDavid has been through age 26, ageing well and peaking high don't always go hand in hand, so no guarantee McDavid will age as well as Crosby - maybe he does, maybe better, or maybe a lot worst. Point is - it's still an unknown.

Winning Pedigree. Crosby has an insane winning pedigree in his career, that has followed him at every level, juniors, NHL playoffs (and also, simply qualifying for playoffs) and internationally. And - as his team's best player (or one of at times), he generally deserves a lot of credit for his team's successes.

Of course - having said all of that - there's no question McDavid is an incredibly appealing choice too. No - he doesn't have the winning pedigree Crosby has, but he's shown the past two years (2022 especially) he can definitely raise his game big-time for playoffs - maybe a better team condition would give him more success. He's also been a lot more consistent in the regular season, and racked up a lot more trophies than Crosby. And McDavid's 2 best seasons are better than any of Crosby's, at the very least.

I can legitimately see an argument for both.

So who do you pick, and why? And how close of a decision is it for you?

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Crosby. More complete, way better 2-way.

His accolades would've been insane without all the injuries. And he competed with a prime Ovechkin who is often considered the greatest goalscorer of all time. He (Ovi) will surpass Gretzky.

I'd say that Crosby had more injuries anf tougher competition. And scoring is up more these days.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Crosby's concussion issues a decade + ago make this very interesting. He was incredibly dominant before his concussion in the winter classic (I believe it was the winter classic). He was hitting a crazy peak, and hasn't really peaked that high since, though still an incredibly dominant player.

McDavid is also a savage and hit a peak this past season that we haven't seen in a while even if scoring is up. I have to give the edge to McDavid due to staying relatively healthy. The 'what if' regarding Crosby not having concussion issues in the middle of his prime is an intriguing thought, though.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
"McDavid can't do it all by himself!, how do you expect him to win with Chris Kunitz and Bill Guerin as his wingers!"

Something like that.
Pittsburgh Penguins overall regular season standings

05-06 - 29th - DNQ
06-07 - 10th - Lost in first round
07-08 - 4th - Lost in cup final
08-09 - 8th - won cup
09-10 - 8th - lost in second round
10-11 - 4th - lost in first round
11-12 - 4th - lost in first round
12-13 - 2nd - lost in ECF
13-14 - 6th - lost in second round
14-15 - 15th - lost in first round
15-16 - 4th - won cup
16-17 - 2nd - won cup
17-18 - 10th - lost in second round
18-19 - 9th - lost in first round
19-20 - 7th - lost in first round
20-21 - 5th - lost in first round
21-22 - 12th - lost in first round
22-23 - 19th - DNQ

Vs Oilers
15-16 - 29th - DNQ
16-17 - 8th - lost in second round
17-18 - 23rd - DNQ
18-19 - 25th - DNQ
19-20 - 12th - lost in first round
20-21 - 11th - lost in first round
21-22 - 11th - lost in third round
22-23 - 6th - lost in second round

Generally a team that finishes top 10 in the league is considered a cup contender. Since 05-06, only the 2012 kings (13), and the 19 blues (13) have won without finishing inside the top 10. Never has Crosby led a team outside the top 10 to even a series win.

By my count, Crosbys teams have finished top 10 - *fourteen* - times in his career, and top 5 *seven* times, while Mcdavid has had only 2 top ten and zero top 5 finishes.

The further these thought exercises get into McDavids career, the sillier they become and the sillier they will look in hindsight.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Crosby pretty easily. McDavid is the more dominant offensive player but I always felt like Crosby did more to elevate his linemates and make everyone else better. His leadership and all around play are the difference maker for me.

Came here to say this and it will be very interesting to watch McDavid for the next 10 years and see what happens.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Crosby has led his club to three Cups. My team has no Cups. McDavid has no Cups. Definitely want Crosby.

Indeed, if McDavid was a better player, he'd be outscored by teammates to win cups. Duh.

Preferably he'd be out-pointed and out-goaled by a 3rd liner getting significantly fewer minutes, like Crosby was.

Alas, McDavid doesn't have that kind of genius.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Well we didn't exist at the time, either time, but I have to assume our current track record holds.... in which case it doesn't really matter, we'll trade them away :laugh:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It’s easily McDavid. Crosby missed too much time in prime years. He can’t bring his core teammates with him.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Imagine peak Crosby on the current Oilers vs mcdavid on the 08-17 penguins.

It's not close. Mcdavid
I went with McDavid but I don't like this argument.

Crosby's Pens teams weren't very good until 2016. The Pens were notorious for blowing his prime with "do nothing but grind" rosters before they finally put talent around him in 2016.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
As others have said - McDavid the better individual player, Crosby the better team player. Crosby elevated the garbage players around him, McDavid doesnt do that. Probably a reason one has multiple cups and the other has none.

Indeed, Crosby took 60 point Kunitz and elevated him all the way up to 68 points.

That's a 13% improvement.

There is no way anyone can point to a player who had a 13% improvement playing with McDavid!

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Indeed, if McDavid was a better player, he'd be outscored by teammates to win cups. Duh.

Preferably he'd be out-pointed and out-goaled by a 3rd liner getting significantly fewer minutes, like Crosby was.

Alas, McDavid doesn't have that kind of genius.
Crosby three Cups. McDavid no Cups. I’d rather have drafted Crosby onto my team and have three Cups than McDavid and still have no Cups.
I don’t really get your comments. McDavid is great but has won nothing other than individual awards. My club has had individual award winners but no Cups. That’s why I would choose to draft Crosby. It’s his three Cups.

Reactions: pi314

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

Crosby's Pens teams weren't very good until 2016. The Pens were notorious for blowing his prime with "do nothing but grind" rosters before they finally put talent around him in 2016.

In 2012 the Pens had 37 wins and 23 losses without Sid. That's pretty good.

The year before that they had a .625 points percentage without Sid. Also not bad.

Then in 2013 they went 8-4 without Sid.

They were definitely an above average team even without Crosby.

Last edited:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

Crosbys teams finished top 5 in the league 7 times and top 10 fourteen times. Made the playoffs 16 times.

McDavids teams have made the playoffs 5 times and finished top 10 twice, top 5 never.

Crosby had better teams. Its not close.

Reactions: PuckG and Voight

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
In 2012 the Pens had 37 wins and 23 losses without Sid. That's pretty good.
That was Malkin's Hart season. Look at the roster besides Malkin and Crosby. It's not that impressive.

From the Crosby draft up until 2016, the Pens were going to the New York Rangers University of "we have enough stars, let's surround them with 8 grinders and 4 or 5 immobile defensemen."

It's worked for the Rangers once since FDR was president.

The second the Pens got a bunch of speed and skill on all three lines, they won multiple Cups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad