Post-Game Talk: Knights def. Canucks - 6-3 (Hughes x2, Hoglander) | I’m blind, I’m deaf, I wanna be a ref!

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Even before tonight's game, I wondered about the line scrambling by Tocchet this past month, and a crazy thought crossed my mind.

Was he doing this on purpose to shake the guys up, because injuries happen in the playoffs, and you have to adjust to playing with different linemates? Has this been his master plan? :naughty:

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Even before tonight's game, I wondered about the line scrambling by Tocchet this past month, and a crazy thought crossed my mind.

Was he doing this on purpose to shake the guys up, because injuries happen in the playoffs, and you have to adjust to playing with different linemates? Has this been his master plan? :naughty:

I hope so, might be grasping at straws though

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
images

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Tonight is probably the most worrying loss out of the last few games. Completely lost our identity and they’re running out of time with playoffs just around the corner.

Reactions: David71 and B-rock

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria

Wow. The fact that Tocchet says "a few individuals" is really damning for the players that haven't shown up on the stats sheets the last 5 to 10 games.

Not to name any names but I will try to be descrete hear.

EP40 - 2 assists against Calgary in last 5 games

Hronek - 1 assist last 5 games

Oh...wait, that wasn't discrete at all, my bad. Both of these players either made it clear they needed to get paid or are making clear they need a big raise....but with no definable change in play or outcomes.

The next 2 weeks will tell us everything we need to know about WHT the first round of the playoffs will look like.

In Demko and Miller and Hughes and Garland and Zadorov and Soucy and Boeser and Joshua we believe.

Take the team on your shoulders BOYS! Lead by example and punish the infidels in all ways resulting in proper CANADIAN playoff punishment.

Ready to be heros? Rock stars? Live forever in the Lore of Canucks playoff hockey?

Have a focused run! Destroy! Win for your team! The moments in your life that make you take the Startin roles and carry your team are NOW!

KILL IT mfers...you got this.

Reactions: Indiana

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
terrible game. if van meets vgk. the games will look like this.. send down bains. not ready at all.

Not really. With Demko in net, we definitely make this competitive if not outright steal the game despite our poor defensive play. While DeSmith shouldn't be blamed for the entire loss as there's plenty to go around. He definitely didn't have a good game.

maybe he should stop mixing the lines this late in the season? you cant expect the team to "turn it On once the playoffs starts. its a whole different ball game"

Now this I agree on. What's even more frustrating is the line combinations haven't even made sense. Moving some guys around is fine if you can see the intent but I've been repeatedly mystified by Tocchet's decisions. Assuming everyone is healthy, I want to see:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser
Hoglander - Lindholm - Podkolzin/Mikheyev
Joshua - Blueger - Garland
Podkolzin/Mikheyev - Suter - Lafferty

There's no reason to shift Lindholm to the wing when Miller is clearly better at adjusting. Plus this gives Pettersson the best opportunity.

Last edited:

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
terrible game. if van meets vgk. the games will look like this.. send down bains. not ready at all.
Meh…. I liked the pace, I liked the physicality. I didn’t like the horrible pinches by the D,, the forwards blowing the zone early. DeSmith showed why he is a backup goalie. Ian Cole’s money is better spent on Tanev. If Big Z wants too much you replace those two with Tanev and Dillon. You won’t lose much.

They need a Raffi Torres type up front to pound the opposition D. I’d keep Zads at 4.25 , sign Dakota and get a human wrecking ball up front. Hang onto the top spot, beat Nashville and let Edmonton and Vegas kill each other. Myers can still play but you need to allocate the cap properly.

I liked their pace and their will but they gave up way too many dead red chances and hung Casey out to dry.

Vegas doesn’t scare me. Marchessault is a prick but I’d take him all day every day on my team. Let’s see how we look fully healthy with a top 3 goalie in the league.

Still wish Allvin would have picked up a greasy forward that plays with some thump.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Meh…. I liked the pace, I liked the physicality. I didn’t like the horrible pinches by the D,, the forwards blowing the zone early. DeSmith showed why he is a backup goalie. Ian Cole’s money is better spent on Tanev. If Big Z wants too much you replace those two with Tanev and Dillon. You won’t lose much.

They need a Raffi Torres type up front to pound the opposition D. I’d keep Zads at 4.25 , sign Dakota and get a human wrecking ball up front. Hang onto the top spot, beat Nashville and let Edmonton and Vegas kill each other. Myers can still play but you need to allocate the cap properly.

I liked their pace and their will but they gave up way too many dead red chances and hung Casey out to dry.

Vegas doesn’t scare me. Marchessault is a prick but I’d take him all day every day on my team. Let’s see how we look fully healthy with a top 3 goalie in the league.

Still wish Allvin would have picked up a greasy forward that plays with some thump.

vancouver should have picked a forward who can bang and crash. finding another scorer was the number 1 goal. but it didnt happen. playoff teams arent scared of vancouvers forward at all. whose gonna come in and punish the D? joshua? and thats it.

Reactions: B-rock

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Even if the Canucks magically avoid him, he's done every Stanley Cup Final since 2018 so we're boned anyway. There was a 3-year period after 2011 where he wasn't picked for the finals... but he's back.
there’s one did he didn’t do since than but fffffffff

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't know if it's just a case of teams ramping up their play with the playoffs in sight, but for perhaps one of the few times this season, the Canucks just looked slow out there.

When the Canucks were winning almost every night early in the season, they played fast and were relentless on the forecheck. Now they're giving up their own blueline without much of a fight, and teams are cycling in the offensive days not unlike that bad old days of Boudreau and Green.

I'm looking at the other seven teams joining the Canucks in the first round, and I'm trying to come up with a team they might actually beat. And right now, it's pretty hard to be optimistic.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
The biggest reason by far for the lack of performance as of late, whether it's 5on5 or man advantage all boils down to one problem,
they all stopped skating, you aint gonna get much success with this slow ass playstyle.

Reactions: B-rock

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I don't know if it's just a case of teams ramping up their play with the playoffs in sight, but for perhaps one of the few times this season, the Canucks just looked slow out there.

When the Canucks were winning almost every night early in the season, they played fast and were relentless on the forecheck. Now they're giving up their own blueline without much of a fight, and teams are cycling in the offensive days not unlike that bad old days of Boudreau and Green.

I'm looking at the other seven teams joining the Canucks in the first round, and I'm trying to come up with a team they might actually beat. And right now, it's pretty hard to be optimistic.
Its a completely different game when you are not scoring in the first few minutes.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
The goalie did not steal a game.
IMO he cost the game. Not a good outing.
On three goals he lost the net and it could have been worse.
He should put some brillo pads on the inside of his pads so he doesn't slide outside of the pipes.

The first period Cole ..... well not good, not close to being good. He left Zadorov to take on 3 odd man rushes.

Boeser, the guy I keep hounding on, did have a good game, one his best of the year. It isn't all about scoring goals all the time, most times it is just being in the play and he was this game.

5 minutes for Zadorov? Well that was the call but Big Z eased off the hit, if he hadn't the player would not have got right up and start duking it out. 2 minutes for getting close? Head snap and bingo, 2 minutes. Sometimes heads snap back to avoid contact of anything, pucks, hits, sticks, it is instinct to avoid being hit in the face. Just fake a slap at someone and their head snaps back.

Tocchet needs to ramp up his game too, get the lines set and stop relying on Hughes to carry the game. It might be time to unleash Miller's nasty side.

Regardless of the score it could have been worse Vegas eased up and they are not all healthy yet either playing with injuries to key forwards.

They are in the playoffs but not for long if they rely on DeSmith to carry them, better get that Topolio kid into one game, just to see what there is there, with DeSmith it will be 4 and out.

The ref's, the organist, that used to be the music guy, they were all told to not play "three blind mice" after suspect calls or goals. I doubt anyone even knows that tune anymore, but it would and can be appropriate at times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad